Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave the World Behind

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I'm not shifting goalposts. If 50 Shades and Hunger Games are the only examples of blockbuster movies made from recent novels, then my point is made. The other movies mentioned by JohnnyUltimate are anything but blockbusters.

I take no pleasure in this. I would love it if, for instance, Prophet Song or The Bee Sting are made into major movies, which would be an enormous boost to Irish literature. One of the streamers might pick up the rights but, on the evidence of this stinker and others, they will make a mess of it. I think Neil Jordan was lined up to film Skippy Dies. Did that every happen?

I'm not shifting goalposts. If 50 Shades and Hunger Games are the only examples of blockbuster movies made from recent novels, then my point is made i.e. "award-winning novel" has become a turn-off for Hollywood. The other movies mentioned by JohnnyUltimate are anything but blockbusters. "Are you there, God.." did OK but the book was written over 50 years ago.

I take no pleasure in this. I would love it if, for instance, Prophet Song or The Bee Sting were made into major movies, which would be an enormous boost to Irish literature. One of the streamers might pick up the rights but, on the evidence of this stinker and others, they would either bury it or make a mess of it. I think Neil Jordan was lined up to film Skippy Dies. Did that every happen?

"Any book of over 40,000 words" is a wonderfully broad definition of the novel. But let's agree that we know one when we see one, even if it is trash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah come on. Literally none of your example novels are what anyone would call "blockbuster", bar maybe Prophet Song, so not sure why your books are somehow more valid than the tonne of examples you were just given. Maybe not moving goalposts but you're sure deploying some selective reasoning to justify a conclusion worked backwards. I'm not even sure you know what the word "blockbuster" means, to be frank cos you haven't mentioned any blockbuster novels, just novels.

Novels make for adaptations all the time, they're a bedrock of cinema, including TV series which is where steamers make their main subs these days given you mention them specifically. You've been given examples but that's not enough cos some random Irish novels haven't been adapted? Ok, sure I give up. Agree to disagree cos this entire segue is a weird amount of energy given for what amounted to a forgettable film.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Now you're confused. I never mentioned 'blockbuster" novels. Let me summarise.

I began by questioning how Netflix decided to spend mega-bucks on this nonsense.

I challenged Rebel's suggestion that the movie was pitched on the basis that it was a "brilliant, hugely acclaimed book" and I asked "When was the last blockbuster movie made from a recent novel?".

You answered without giving a valid example (Jurrassic Park was written a quarter-century ago) and JohnnyUltimate came up with a list of art-house films. But I think I can answer my own question now.

The only blockbuster movies based on recent novels are - 50 Shades, Twilight, Hunger Games, Bridgerton, The Martian.

I accept Bridgerton as a blockbuster, although it was a streaming series, and The Martian as an interesting exception to the rule - a self-published novel rejected by countless publishers. None are very recent but all were written in this century. And I accept the loosest sense of the word "novel" but I exclude comics which have bankrolled Hollywood this century.

So, I say Hollywood no longer makes major movies from the latest "serious" or "acclaimed" novels, although Hollywood has struck gold with some trashy novels. In contrast, streamers are flooded with cash which can be wasted on this nonsense, perhaps because streamers are ignoring the experience of the Hollywood studios with recent novels or perhaps because they have a completely different metric of success i.e. subscribers and their clicks.

The interesting issue then is why streamers are making this nonsense if they are not subject to such immediate and direct commercial pressures?

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This movie is not a blockbuster. It’s just not. Of all the different ways to describe what sort of film this is, that would be one of the last id go for.

And it feels a massive stretch to me to argue that the first conversations were anything other than; “This really good book exists, it’s very popular, has sold tonnes of copies, is very contained, and would be easy to adapt”. That’s just how these things work, just as it is with all of the thousands of other optioned projects in the works.

And sure whatever any of us think about it, it sounds like it’s going great (not least as evidenced by nigh on everyone on this forum having watched it it seems)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

You have the wrong end of the stick. I am saying the opposite - that this movie is a stinker which could never have been a blockbuster (unless you count the clicks which mean nothing).

I am also saying that Hollywood has not turned a recent "serious" or "acclaimed" novel into a blockbuster movie. It has made big bucks on stuff like Twilight and 50 Shades but the last thing a Hollywood studio producer wants to hear now is "this an acclaimed/prize-winning novel" because no such book has been turned into a blockbuster.

You say "Leave the World Behind" was very popular and sold "tonnes of copies", but how many copies did it actually sell? The sales figures for "serious" literature are depressing.

Doesn't matter because the deal was done before the book was published.

So the pitch was probably "Sam Esmail has Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington [what happened there?] lined up to do one of his cyber/apocalyse stories about a white middle-class family and a mysterious, super-rich black couple. He'll publish a novelised version to get some hype".

Your bit about "very contained" does not apply to Julia Roberts salary or the special effects. "Easy to adapt" gets the process arseways.

I should add one more (fairly) recent novel that made a blockbuster movie - The Da Vinci Code. I rest my case.

P.S. here's another "serious" novel that Netflix turned into a stinker despite a great cast and top-rate production. The luvvies loved it - four minutes standing ovation at Venice, lots of award nominations - but viewers mostly hated it. Another absurd ending but the main problem was the film couldn't make up its mind about the main character who had abandoned her children years before. Might suit you if you like feeling conflicted.

And what about White Noise with Adam Driver? A Don De Lillo novel which starts brightly but ends weirdly. Why can't these movies figure out an ending?

Post edited by Caquas on

Why is the term blockbuster even coming up? The movie is not a blockbuster type of movie, the book was not a blockbuster type of book, and even the budget is not a modern blockbuster type of budget (Netflix own Gray Man and Red Notice etc cost over double)... it's a predominantly slower paced nervy character study with about 5 total minutes of 'action'. Throwing in the term blockbuster just creates an argument that doesn't really exist.

Your link also backs up exactly what I said in the post which sparked this conversation - that the book hadn't even been adapted yet when the story was bought by Netflix. It's very safe to assume that it's after that point that the planes and tanker and some character changes etc got added for Netflix to spell it out more for their broader audience. That's how their projects work. IMO they made it worse by throwing more money than was necessary at it, and would've benefitted from a slightly more faithful approach to the book - but that would've probably made it a bit less appealing for the mass audience, so I get Netflix decision making, even if I don't like it.

I'm also not sure where you're coming from with the insistence of these terms like 'serious literature'... it's not Ulysses like, it's a really good well written page turner that I read in 3 days... it was the number 1 bestseller when it came out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find it hard to square your calls for ‘serious literature’ adaptations with your instant dismissal of arthouse titles. I think serious literature is typically not mainstream, so of course it’s not going to be wildly popular at the multiplex. Films like The Zone of Interest and Poor Things are by their nature uncompromising adaptations of uncompromising novels, so of course they’re not going to do as well as The Da Vinci Code (though the latter has done plenty well for itself). They’re also the sort of works that will inevitably be more divisive among audiences than something more straight down the middle.

I personally don’t care whether a film is a ‘blockbuster’ or not, or whether the mass audience likes it. I care if it’s an interesting film, and in that case there’s no shortage of literary adaptations that fit the bill. Some I like, some I don’t, but that’s the natural order of things. But I have no shortage of things to watch and appreciate, and certainly don’t take much offence when one doesn’t land for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

An aside, but I feel like that was a flaw in the classic low-budget Canadian sci fi Cube, which got a big bogged down in silly explanations for why they were in a killer cube, when the film’s strengths lay in how the characters responded to the situation. The why-are-we-here didn’t matter.

• Advertisement

Like Rebel and Pixelburp, you completely misunderstand my points. Just read my post #96.

I have nothing against arthouse films but that is not what this thread is about. We're discussing a Julia Roberts/Obama/Netflix mega-bucks stinker. Hollywood Studios would never have made this nonsense for a simple reason - it has no ending or resolution. Hollywood makes a lot of trash but it never knowingly set out to cheat its audience.

I made a second point in response to Rebel who thought this movie was pitched on the basis that it was a successful and acclaimed novel. I say that would be a strong argument against making a movie in Hollywood today (unlike in the past) because no recent novel has become a blockbuster movie. The only exceptions are trash like 50 Shades or the Da Vinci Code or YA literature like Harry Potter and Twilight. Tragically, Hollywood has become dependent on comic books (!) but that's another story. Rebel doesn't understand why I mention "blockbuster" movie. Try pitching a movie in Hollywood by saying "It won't be a blockbuster but I want Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke, Kevin Bacon and masses of CGI".

So, why did Netflix defy the logic of experience and will they be punished for wasting all this money? Heads would roll in a Hollywood Studio because word of mouth would kill this movie after the first weekend. Can Netflix defy gravity?

Masses of CGI? There's about 4 cumulative minutes of it to distract from the fact that it's 95% people talking in one location. I'm also not sure how many people would agree that the trio of aging former-bankables you named = blockbuster. Maybe back in 1998, sure, but they're all regulars on the indie movie scene now (and Obama is one of the last names I'd associate with a Blockbuster type of project!).

For instance, I doubt anyone would claim that Julia Roberts last two movies, "Wonder" with her and Owen Wilson, or "Ticket to Paradise" with her and George Clooney are blockbusters either, despite boasting older big name leads. Could argue her last real blockbuster was actually Oceans 12, which was 20 years ago. Or at a push Eat Pray Love, which was 14 years ago. She's been firmly an indie producer/actor for a long time now. So all in all, this is just not a blockbuster in scope, or story. Which you're backing up yourself with your anger over its ambiguous ending (it seems perhaps your biggest issue with it is that you yourself expected a blockbuster type movie, but didn't get one).

Seems to be getting no shortage of eyeballs on it, so i'm sure Netflix won't mind regardless. Anyway, it's an argument that's probably beyond anyones interest at this stage, so maybe best left as a "agree to completely disagree".

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

I won't say "agree to disagree", I'll say let's not waste any more of your time or mine because, after my 20+ posts on this thread, most of which are correcting mis-statements of my argument, I despair of this communication.

As a further illustration of this futility, you claim that I believe this "trio of aging former bankables you named = blockbuster" although, on the contrary and in the very post you quoted, I called this movie a "mega-bucks stinker" i.e. the precise opposite of a blockbuster and, furthermore, I had already made the point in post #35 about these stars not being bankable.

There are only a handful of mega-stars (Di Caprio, Cruise,...) who can reliably "open" a movie these days (without a franchise). Julia Roberts hasn't had that power for 20 years, Ethan Hawke never had. 

Maybe you think "blockbuster" just means "very expensive movie"? Now that I think of it, perhaps the Netflix Executives are similarly confused!

I said "Masses of CGI" because the last 10 minutes of this movie consists of credits for special effects of all types, adding to the reported $70 Million Netflix pissed away on this nonsense.

And, a final correction, I am not angry. I am disappointed and frustrated by this movie and, more importantly, by what it signifies for film-making in the streaming era where the superficial is a substitute for substance in the search for clicks from a captive audience of subscribers.

Anyway, let's leave it there.

I feel like 'blockbuster' has lost all meaning here 😅... like, I don't believe the term belongs anywhere near this movie. I don't believe it was anywhere near the minds of anyone making it. It's only even come up in this thread because you have repeatedly made the point you reckon the intention was for it to be a blockbuster, and that it failed in that supposed goal. IMO it's a bit unfair to create a goal for a film that was never there, and then bash it as a failure of something they weren't trying to do. IMO it's just a regular 'ol "bit too expensive for its small scale" character-drama-suspense film, made for less than half Netflix's other big budget projects (though I obviously got a lot more out of it than you, and have no problem with narrative ambiguity). As far as Netflix goes, even if they didn't quite manage to capture what made Rumaan Alam's book so great, I'll always be happier with them taking a bit of a risk with something like this than pouring money into things like Red Notice, The Gray Man, and 6 Underground (which all cost a fortune more than this).

Anyway, as a step away, I like seeing more established stars taking a more active role behind the movies they're making, particularly women. This was made by Julia Roberts production company, and we've seen the effect Margo Robbie and Elizabeth Banks have had on the industry with the work they've put their production companies behind. It's a positive shift in power and perspective that will hopefully continue to put a bit more weight behind projects that might otherwise have not been pursued, particularly when you look at some of the other big women-run production companies like Pascal Pictures and Annapurna putting out some great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I also think there's some weird projection of opinion as fact here.

It's fine to think any particular movie is awful, devoid of merit, or whatever, but aggressively pushing those opinions as some sort of universal fact is misguided, and suggesting that Netflix should be "punished" for "wasting all this money" is leaning more towards unhinged.

I mean look at the actual facts. It was watched by a ton of people, obviously a critical metric, but more so than that, it has strongly positive critical scores. It has 6.5/10 on IMDB based on 150,000 votes.

I think it's fair to assume that most, or at least a huge amount of people who watched it felt positively about it. I know I certainly did.

I don't think that quite tallies with the picture being painted here - based on effectively nothing but an opinion of the movie - that it's not only a flop, but somehow universally hated as a film and recognised as a waste of money.

It Comes At Night was released in theatres for what it's worth and is very similar format wise, doesn't really have a beginning or end.

It cost a few million and made $20m at box office and was also pretty successful on streaming. Like Leave the World Behind, a lot of people didn't like that format, but overall reception to the film was very positive.

You didn't like the movie. You're not alone, but a huge amount of other people did enjoy the movie. I mean really, just move on rather than try and convince other people that their opinions are wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For comparison letterboxd - whose users IMO trend a little more considered and less prone to hype/outrage - has about 460k having watched the thing, with review scores showing a spread across the middleground; far from cinematic cancer, this is broadly seen as mediocre stuff.

• Good twilight zone episode. Some rubbish posted in here, sounds like Ben Shapiro

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

After 100 posts mostly at cross-purposes, I said I would stop but then I get this new set of misrepresentations and/or misunderstandings mixed with an effort to shut me down as irrational - "just move on" and "leaning towards the unhinged"

Firstly, I don't confuse opinions and facts. I stated my opinions forthrightly and no one has challenged the facts I offered in support of my view. When I said e.g. that this is film is "a mega-bucks stinker", I gave my reasons and invited responses but no one here has made a credible case in support of this movie. Believe it or not, I was initially fairly open-minded on this movie - here's my first post (#27) which was mainly seeking other views/information:

A great cast, an interesting set-up, top-notch special effects and design but ultimately.... nothing. 

The movie didn't just leave us in the dark about the big issues it raised (End of the world!!!), it didn't even resolve the tensions among its characters. What did G.H. actually know? Was Amanda really a misanthrope or just weary of BS? Was anyone going to stand up to Ruth? Six characters in search of an ending. 

No. 1 movie on Netflix with 41.7 million views. Anyone know what this thing cost? How many views before it is deemed a success?

In defence of this movie, the most anyone here has claimed is that they found it passably enjoyable before the final scene, that lots of people watched it and that many seemed to enjoy it. My answer has been that "lots of people watching" is no measure of success in the age of streaming - it just means that Netflix subscribers clicked on their glossiest, most-hyped new offering - and that most viewers disliked/hated it, judging by the viewers ratings/comments on Rottentomatoes and iMb. (I never said "universally hated")

The level of critical analysis on this thread is depressing. I don't think I got a single fresh insight regarding the interactions of the main characters (and I was patronised by murpho999 who didn't even get the racism in Julia Roberts character). Leading media critics have had a "mixed" response to this movie but most critics today are out of touch with the audience (when did that great schism begin?). Look at "Lost Daughter" - the critics loved it, I mean "four minutes standing ovation in Venice" lllloooovvvveeedddd it, but the viewers were turned off. It was a box office flop but, of course, that didn't matter because Netflix bankrolled it. (Another Netflix adaptation of an "acclaimed novel" with a stellar cast and a nonsense ending - I'm sensing a pattern here).

I haven't watched It Comes At Night but I don't see much relevance. The endings can't be compared.

• Rose settles down to watch the final episode of Friends in a strange house after disappearing from her family in the midst of the apocalypse, versus
    • Paul – believing Andrew is sick – forces Will and his family out of the cabin. A fight breaks out that ends with Sarah shooting Will and Paul shooting Andrew and Kim. Later, a visibly infected Travis lies in bed and is comforted by his mother. The film closes with a scene showing a devastated Paul and Sarah seated at a table, presumably having put Travis out of his misery and seemingly succumbing to the virus themselves. 

https://screenrant.com/it-comes-at-night-movie-ending-explained/

In any case, no one could call It Comes At Night a mega-buck stinker i.e. Netflix didn't piss away mega-bucks while insulting their subscribers. Rebel thinks there was no intention for Leave the World Behind to be a "blockbuster". Did Julia Roberts take $20,000,000 under false pretences or how can I get my hands on some of this free money?

Finally, I didn't say Netflix "should be punished", I asked

why did Netflix defy the logic of experience and will they be punished for wasting all this money? Heads would roll in a Hollywood Studio because word of mouth would kill this movie after the first weekend. Can Netflix defy gravity?

I don't know if Netflix will be punished for wasting all this money. It would be "unhinged" if there were no consequences. Its share price is driven by its subscriber numbers and revenues but seems unaffected by the quality of its productions. There is the nub of the problem.

Hollywood had to make money at the box-office and had no subscriptions. It produced a lot of dross but never deliberately insulted the audience with a nothing ending and it produced most of the greatest movies of all time. Why are Netflix and other streamers willing to spend big on movies with superannuated stars, hopelessly confused narratives and no endings?

Will anyone ever again make a great movie out of a great novel?

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

For those of you that maintain Julia Roberts can't act, cite this movie as an example.

If this is how you react to a film you categorically do not like, I'd love to see this effort put into films you do enjoy Caquas. Otherwise it's all a bit of an unfortunately disproportionate amount of energy for something not remotely worth the intent.

• Advertisement

IMO the story wasn't the ending - the story was the story. It's not about 'what happens then', it's about what happens in the moment of a massive sudden event happening (which is why the first ~80 minutes are its strongest). The ending itself was just a meta nod towards this, with this character longing for some amount of closure, which then becomes our closure by having it take place in a location that we know each member of the story is heading to, where we know they'll be safe. I've no problem at all with that - certainly more crowd pleasing than the books ending 😅.

I think its biggest failing was having too much happen to the characters - it felt like the apocalypse happening TO THEM, rather than just happening. As I said earlier, I get their decision making, because it's Netflix and they have a huge audience they have to have an eye on, even if the bones of the story are something more niche than the broadness of their other junk like Red Notice etc - so they throw in these heightened moments. I'd rather they just trusted the viewer (hard for Netflix to do at their scale though) and had the tanker thing happen either in the distance or off-screen, left it at the one already crashed plane and cut the second one, simplified the occurrence of the tesla thing to just be something they came across, and cut way back on Amanda's (Roberts) self-reflection. With those changes I think it becomes much more interesting and lets you sit more in the unknown of the disaster and paranoia.

Still a solid 6/10 from me though (I've a feeling it's one of those where there's a smaller number of people making a disproportionate amount of noise - it's the type of thing I think most will watch, be reasonably entertained, and move on with their lives, hence the 2.9/5 on Letterboxd, and 6.5 on imdb).

The question of "novels to movies" as some sweeping statement is daft though - story is story, some stories fit movies, some don't. The medium you draw from is irrelevant, only making good choices in adaptation and execution. I loved The Lost Daughter - definitely not a broad movie though, so is instantly hurt by being too accessible. Had that been in the theatre and seen just by those who sought it out (or on Mubi for instance), its public reception would be far higher. I don't see "LtWB" having any impact on how the industry works, one way or another, anyway.

(As for Julia Roberts fee, I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is being conflated in her company also actually producing the movie).

I do write in praise of movies I like but I don’t have to defend myself ad nauseam as I did here.

I also explained repeatedly that this film exposes deep problems with the current process of film-making and production. That’s what I tried to discuss.

The comments on Kermode’s review include some excellent summaries of my objections to this film. He loved it of course😣

I

Post edited by Caquas on

Interestingly an awful lot of positive comments there.

Totally outnumbered by the negative comments, many of which are as critical as as I am, and for much the same reasons .

The positive comments are largely fatuous, nothing more than “I loved it” or “A good watch”. Like those 5-star reviews on Amazon for dodgy knock-offs. Kermode and Mayo are almost as bad.

I just looked through, and that's not what I just saw, particularly in the numbers of upvotes of comments which gives a good sense of sentiment. There's clearly plenty of support for it.

And what does it matter if a positive comment is simple? Is an "I like this" less valid than three paragraphs of "I didn't like this" when it comes to gauging consumer interest? IMO not at all. This would seem to back up the imdb and letterboxd scores.

I do write in praise of movies I like but I don’t have to defend myself ad nauseam as I did here.

Then please share them cos the forum could do with the traffic: I've not see them too often being a habitual lurker around here. Watch some good movies, it's a better use of energy 😜

And you don't have to do anything, it's a free world, and it's called debate. And as for your lopsided determination to divine meaning in a movie you don't like as symptomatic of something larger? It's a weird, magnetic flex. Hence the interest and back and forth. Tis all in good faith, even if I don't get or agree with your rationale 🙂

Like I said, there are bigger albatrosses with Netflix than this film. And I do think the service is heading towards a reckoning. I just can't countenance lambasting a mediocre apocalypse book adaptation when genuine, borderline shameful shít like The Grey Man clogs the service. All 200 million of it. Or anything starring Kevin Hart or The Rock.

I mean, this came out Friday. Look at this crap

Oh wow... like, absolutely - I'll always prefer the development of a movie like Leave The World Behind, even if it doesn't fulfil its promise and bloated budget (given its contained scope) as at least there's something interesting there, whereas something like Lift at 100m just offers nothing worth that investment at all. Over 500m utterly wasted between Lift, Red Notice, and Grey Man, with nary a braincell troubled.

Oh Red Notice. Can't forget that. At least Grey Man was kinda trying: RN felt like Reynolds, Johnson and Gadot were laughing at me as they pocketed their giant paycheques. While flogging their brands. It was the point my tolerance for Reynolds' smirking hit the wall.

Patrick Willems did a great shakedown of this latter-day "branding" of stars (gotta skip past the intro)

Post edited by pixelburp on

Advertisement