Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mileage discrepancy on cartell report

• 13-01-2024 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I’m interested in buying a car , so I did the cartell report but it came back saying there was an alert. Can it be a mistake as everything else seems to add up?

Feb 19 - 138000 miles

Feb 20. 116000 miles

Mar 21 150000 miles .

the seller reckons it’s an error but will check the nct report.

just wondering if it’s a common issue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Mistakes are common enough, but there’s still a chance it could be clocked. See if the NCT reports and service history check out.

You can usually call the history check company and ask where the figure came from as well. Sometimes they will remove the discrepancy if you can prove its incorrect.

Bear in mind tho you may have the same issue when selling the car on, trying to convince someone its not clocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If it is an error I'd be demanding a refund of whatever Cartell charged.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

The source of the mileage is the

Irish national database , is that the same as the NCT ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My last 2 NCT's I had to get inspector to correct them as he had mixed up miles and km's so certainly possible.

A service history should clarify any error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Aviva use cartell and when I entered in my car registration the car that popped up was totally different to what I actually had.

So called Aviva and they said enter the car in manually with the actual description on the logbook.

• Advertisement

No, NCT don't share mileage information publicly. It could be anything, a service, a dealer, best to call them for more info.

The only thing is the nct show the previous 3 or 4 years on their report so it’ll be interesting to see how that compares.

Thats only on the most recent report, if they don’t have the previous reports then I would most definitely walk away and buy another one.

Good point but even on the most recent report (2023) if it shows the previous 4 years as it should then I’m curious if they tally with the database, if not I will look for a refund at least from cartell . If so I’ll walk away. Not sure if every seller would keep previous years reports although it’s definitely a bonus .

They’d usually get thrown into the glovebox and forgotten about but it would be good to have in this case. Along with full service history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I am clueless about cars. Is clocked mileage common? Even if buying from well known dealers?

Yes I’ll ask about that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Presume it's a UK import if it's in miles? Did Cartel give you the old UK reg? The seller should have it from the VRC if not. You can check it's past MOTs before it was imported for free here.

If I was to bet on it I'd say it's a 'typo' of 146000 miles. What mileage is on it now 3 years later, well over 200000 miles I presume?

If you're not familiar with cars bring someone who is too look at it. As said above, inspect the services history which should have all the dates and mileages written in the correct order.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement