Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF 4255 - Steering Problem ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just to be clear, when these pumps go, what exactly does that mean? A lot of pumps can be repaired with a seal kit. I've done those repairs myself.

I'd there's metal wear damage, then that's another issue.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Just to be clear, when these pumps go, what exactly does that mean? A lot of pumps can be repaired with a seal kit. I've done those repairs myself.

I'd there's metal wear damage, then that's another issue.

Yeah, I had considered that it might be repairable, that's why I rang O Meara Pumps as they repair & refurb pumps. When I asked about a repair they said that with parts & labour required I would be as well on buying the new one.... esp as no guarantee that pump could be repaired until it was split.

TBH I dont think I would be up to replacing seals in a pump myself, I wouldnt have the expertise or tools to do it.

12 mth guarantee with new pump also so am happy enough.

glad you got sorted, Massey reputation suffered a lot due to poor reliability around that time. 3 pumps ( if your right) sounds like a lot in 18 years? would that point to something causing issue?

I've no idea if there is an underlying problem.... I doubt it.... everything seems to be working fine..... tractor only does maybe 250 hours pa, 50% of that would be loader work...

2 pumps in 18 yrs, so average lifespan of 9 years. At this rate tractor will be 27 years old before next pump is needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

@jimmy G M just wondering do you still have your Mf4255 or did you trade it in? I've an mf 4200 series tractor and it's developed a desperate whine in the back end. I think the auxiliary pump got hot at a stage and it's done for but the whine is coming from the pump which is driven by a chain from the transmission. I think the oil cooler may need to be cleaned out. The pump gets hot quickly even if the tractor is started and ticking over. Auxiliary pump is done for anyway.

Still have it here, working away the finest. Tractor is in good condition and no issues since this pump was replaced. Put 2 new front tyres on it last November so we will prob keep for another while. 5,130 hours on it, hard to justify spending €15k or more on a n upgrade with possibly more hours on it that the one we have currently.

To be clear the pump I replaced was the tandem pump bolted onto the tractor chassis under the right rear wheel. It looks a bit like and is aprox the same size as a starter motor, but is a bit more rectagonal in shape. There is a gear/cog that connects into the tractors transmission and this powers the pump. Is this what you mean by being driven by a chain from the transmission?

Does the whine noise get worse when you are turning the front wheels? Do the front wheels turn easily?

Drain the oil from the back end and clean all 3 wire filters while you are at it. Ensure tractor is well supported when the rear wheel is off. See my previous post from August 2020.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply @jimmy G M

We replaced that tandem pump not long ago but the transmission has developed a desperate whine. The pump seems to be shot, and I'd say it's hard turned. I ve not ran the tractor lately as I'm weighing up what could be wrong, but i think the strainer blocked from metal residue from the old pump and starved the pump of oil and it cavitated. Never thought to try flush the back end of the tractor. The oil cooler could be not working right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you putting the right oil in it?

Sounds like you have pretty major issues there. Above my pay grade unfortunately. You need to get a mechanic who knows what he is at to look at it. From what you are saying you think it is the main lift pump? Or is it gearbox/drive related, or both?. Do I recall you asking a question before about a whine in reverse or was that some other poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know someone with a 4235 that let the oil go low in the backend. He had to get a whole new backend on it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

• Advertisement

I was just reading up on a farming forum and poster said he had a similar issue and a reply he got was to add a litre of wet brake additive to the transmission oil. I'm thinking the brakes are the problem and another poster saying a excessive metal filings in the transmission oil is a sure sign the brakes need replacing. The brakes aren't too bad on the tractor but that might not mean they still don't need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Do you have any history of the tractor Divilly?

Ah not really. Never heard of a wet brake additive being added to the transmission oil. Just learning as I'm going here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

The reason I asked was to see if you knew what oil was put in the back end the last time it was changed. The likes of 10W30 and 10W40 have that anti squawk additive in it to prevent the brakes screeching.

I had a tractor previously that developed a screech in the Breaks. Mechanic said most likely brake disc's worn which it was following investigation.

Thanks for the reply @White Clover

Yea I was buying 5 gallon drums of 10w 40 for it, at 70 - 75 euro each. I didn't think the worn brakes could or would contaminate the back end oil so much.

Advertisement