Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Sportage 162 1.7 Diesel yay or nay?

• 13-01-2024 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Just a query for anyone that may have experience with Kia Sportages, thinking of buying a 2016 1.7 diesel model. Anyone have insights as to whether they’re reliable and good value for money ? Also what’s the real life mpg of them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spark_tank

Expect about 44mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

I have a 2014 diesel one, overall a solid car, don’t particularly find it very economical though. Full tank 6-650km on shorter trips, that increases for longer journeys.

Not sure I would get another one for fuel efficiency alone really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

I have a 2013 1.7. Great reliable comfortable car, not a world beater on fuel economy but not bad either.

However they have two common flaws. The handbrake system is shocking and needs freeing up yearly for me. Secondly the clutches are made out of chocolate, might got replaced by the dealer when I bought it as it was on the way out. The replacement let out on me catastrophically around 40,000km in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

They are deadly slow too.

• Advertisement

Have mine 7 years and have not had any issues with the handbrake; my clutch did go though about 18 months ago and cost me €1,100 which wasn’t nice.

If I am to change I think I would want better fuel economy.

Agree they are not fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My Dads had 3 and never had any handbrake or clutch issues.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Designator

I’m hearing talk from people that the 1.7 diesel engine is bad in terms of problems ? So need to make sure as I badly need a reliable car cause I do a lot of commuting

What sort of problems?

One person in the motor trade and also I’ve seen a few reviews saying they’re just generally bad engines in the sense that they can just completely fail suddenly without prior warning … I’ve had my fair share of unreliable cars the last few years so need to make sure that I can rely on a 1.7 diesel sportage , 101,000 km and one owner on the one I’m looking at so surely should be reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

An owner of a KIA dealership told us they need regular long runs. He did not want to sell us one when we said it would be used for pottering around Dublin suburbs. Said we would be back with engine trouble after a couple of years.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Well that’s good to hear as I do a good bit of driving , I commute about 80km a day in total up and down to work and that’s on a main road so speeds of 100km/hr mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

The 1.7 Sportage is a good reliable car overall and certainly a better designed engine than the 1.6 that replaced it. The clutch can be a weak point but if looking to buy one a full service history is a must.

OP i'm looking at them every day of the week, send me a PM if you have any other questions or info you'd like to know.

Well that’s not my experience thankfully, as I said 7 years and bar the clutch and regular servicing it has been a good solid car and ideal for us with 2 young kids, still not sure I would buy another one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

The one you have is the best of them.

Similar money would put you in a 2018-2020 duster, which the 1.5 diesel engine is tried and tested.

Sportage is reliable though, and a good car, but similar to Hyundai of that age (same chassis) if they require repairs, its generally very expensive.

True about the duster but as much as I want a fresh reliable car I want to drive something I like too and I don’t think I’d ever see myself driving a duster

Have you seen the high spec models from 2020 onwards? The sportage is 8 years old and you will definitely feels its age. I've driven quite a few of the SUV's in this category and was genuinely surprised at the quality of a top spec duster. They're not for everyone though.

ive been driving a 2008 Mondeo for the last 2 years now, trust me it’ll still be better haha

plus the sportage has a one year warranty so happy with that too

Advertisement