Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Yes, having made numerous offers. Its more out of principle. Same could be said for them that they lost a sale over 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Strange by them. Was original asking price 71k?

Yes and they wouldn't accept and lower

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dr.dundrum

No EV bargain for some time again, always discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

One of my best buys was a Porsche Boxster, in super condition with lots of recent service history from arguably Ireland's best indy Porsche garage who had looked after the car for years. Already well priced at €5250. Got it for €3800 cash (that I had with me). That's about 70% of the asking price.

Sold it for €9k, out of test, out of tax, with some issues, but fundamentally still a very good car

That was 5 years of driving a nice Porsche completely free, even after petrol, motor tax, insurance, maintenance, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

That's what I thought. The madness works both ways. The seller likely had lots of interest and felt no need to accept any less. Possibly had a preference to hold the car a little longer too - who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Sounds crazy in black and white like that, but that is not how negotiation works though, it's rarely pure math, negotiation is 50% psychology. Flip your point back at dealer- they had a deal to be done and now they will have to invest at least another 90 minutes but maybe 3 or 4 times 90 minutes with different people, to potentially get an extra 1k, maybe 800€, that could come down to a pretty poor hourly rate from this point forward. Price the car 500 euro higher

at that price level the salesperson can price the car 500-1000 more and 99% of the same customers will still be interested, and they can then give "a deal".

😎

There's a lot to be said for cutting the bullsh1t, pricing a car at the price you actually want, getting that bit of additional interest and selling fast.

The chances are reasonably high that the eventual buyer of this 71k vehicle wouldn't have viewed it if it was listed at 74-75k.

If you ask me, bring the Tesla model to new pricing into the used market. The price you see is the price you pay and zero time wasting.

I agree if that is what your model is AND everyone knows that.

But for decades the irish model is a little haggle. If a garage is changing tactic they should be crystal clear with customers. It feels like it's marketing 101 to correct an unhelpful expectation from the outset, in neon lights at the gate.

😎

• Advertisement

In my opinion, it's perfectly acceptable to list anything for sale at a certain price without having to say "by the way, thats REALLY the price". It's always sensible to go into a potential deal hoping for, but not expecting, a discount.

When I sell a car, I don't feel the need to say "I want €20k but the industry norm is a 5% discount so I need to list at €21k". I might go that route - but by no means would I feel that I must (and, as a matter of principle, just like this deal never went through out of a matter of principle, I wouldn't entertain any buyer that felt I had in some way screwed them by not offering a discount on the listed price).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A sales person having no move on a 70k vehicle is laughable. I'd have walked too. Part of the game is negotiation.

I doubt X5s are rolling out the door regardless of money.

Bananas

What if walking results in you getting a €5k discount off the same spec vehicle listed elsewhere at €80k? There's a big difference between feeling like you got a deal and actually getting a deal.

Ironically I am sure analysis would show many humans will prefer the 75 car 😂 and be less likely to bring it back with some random irrelevant minor quirk

😎

Possibly. I just reckon the majority on a car forum wouldn't let "a matter of principle" of not getting a discount get in the way of buying a vehicle listed elsewhere at a much better price, but with no discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I think I'll fulfil the title of this thread, for now as it seems to have become a bit lost.....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id-3-2020/35685359

19k for a VW ID3 from a dealer. Sounds like a reasonable deal. The bottom of this market must be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭User1998

Been posted twice already.. They have it for sale privately and through the dealership, for a higher price.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35689047

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

Seems a good deal in today's market but I believe we're still a right bit away from the bottom of the market.

It's more than half the price of a new ID3. In a normal market for ICE vehicles, you should be paying that for a 2021, not 2020. EVs, in the longer term, should be broadly similar. In the short term, as the market settles and price reductions throw things off, it's harder to assess true value.

• Advertisement

Yes it's been up a while.

I wonder how much colour impacts resale value?

I try to go white or black, partially because I believe they have a big market who like that. This odd green colour, which many might regard as blue, is likely one that divides opinion, and therefore potentially the market?

I would pay 1k more for a white one, and reckon I'd get most of that back when selling.

😎

My main issue with the 70k 71k issue is that I would have rather been told before I drove an hour to see the car that the listed price was non negotiable. I've always sat down with a dealer after a test drive and tried to get a deal done. There's no way their margins are so tight that 1k to a new and possible repeat customer should be an issue. By the way the car is priced pretty much the same in a lot of dealers it's not like this one was a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Colour would definitely be a factor here. I have been thinking of changing my Leaf this year, but I wouldn't buy that colour.

They shouldn’t have to tell you that tho. I get that traditionally a car is something you negotiate over but you don’t go into Aldi or Lidl or any other business and expect to negotiate at the till so it shouldn’t be any different for cars.

If the car is priced fairly and your not prepared to pay that price then your only wasting your own time. Any discount should be considered a bonus. The onus shouldn’t be on them to warn you that there are no discounts available.

The worst part is that your walking away from this deal frustrated and without a car, but if they had of advertised it at €72k and gave you €1k off you would have been delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

in a falling market, every price is negotiable - otherwise the market isn’t falling :)

we all know the running joke on this ‘bargain’ thread is that “sure if you offered them €x less, they should bite your hand off” - that’s the negotiation.

i sold a car and bought another this week - both privately, both hard negotiations and everyone was acutely aware of the current market conditions.

if there’s no deal to be had, you can just walk away. It’s pretty simple. The seller doesn’t have to sell their car if they don’t want to, even if it’s €71-70k.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are we rewriting the rules of the used car market on the fly here ?

Where did this nonsense suddenly spring from that people can't negotiate with private or dealer sales on used cars.

Some large level nonsense.

It's part of the game. Negotiations are as old as man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You're deliberately missing the point, because you state that you "get that traditionally a car is something you negotiate over". One doesn't traditionally go into a supermarket and negotiate at the till. There are still some shops where you go in an negotiate prices. These are typically places where the price is elevated anyway, such as bathroom&tile shops, or the fireworks places up north.

If I see a car advertised for 71, the most I expect to pay is 70k. Same for 21k, I would expect the max to be 20k. A bigger discount is a bonus.

Stay Free

If you have ever read this thread or my posts I am all for low balling and negotiating, it’s how I make a living. But a business shouldn’t have to warn their customers that the price of a particular item for sale is not negotiable. Your man is annoyed that he traveled to see a car and said the dealer should have warned him its not negotiable. That is nonsense.

Like I said I’m all for negotiating but I would never get annoyed at someone for wanting their full asking price. Its their car and they can price it how they like. And I would never travel to see a car without asking is the price negotiable first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What has this got to do with ev bargains, that's what I'm wondering?

• Advertisement

Advertisement