Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I was watching this in the pub, and then headed to the Leinster game. What's the chances of catching this in the AM to watch properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Before today's game you had some predicting that Tom Ahern could be a surprise call up when Farrell names his squad next week. Do ye reckon he's shown enough this season to squeeze his way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

He'll definitely be in the wider squad.

Depending how he goes in camp but I can't see him making the 6 nations cut...he has v little big games played since he's return from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Even looking at the wider squad it was a 37 man squad that was named this time last year. Ryan, Beirne, McCarthy, Henderson, Braid, and Prendergast were all named. If it's kept at 37 again it's hard to see him named ahead of any of those if all fit.

Unless someone like Coombes doesn't make the wider squad this year to make room for someone like Ahern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think Ahern will make it. That kind of skillset is so rare that if he stays fit, he will be ireland 23s reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Might be a year too soon for him, exciting prospect though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He has arguably the most difficult job to make the squad given the players he's up against and the form they're in but he's doing everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

He will get a chance when there's injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They'd certainly be insane not to include him in camp and start working with him on the systems etc. It's a slow burn to peak strength for a guy his height and you'd ideally want him hitting the ground running once he does, probably by his mid twenties.

First order of business is also deciding whether he's a lock or a 6. For the former he needs bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yup. It's been a great weekend. Currently on the train back to the airport. Shattered but extremely happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Scannell was absolutely brilliant for his first start back, people sometimes forget I feel that he has around 20 international caps, wily operator at scrum time who we've missed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There's a level of certainty you always get with Scannell; he does what he does well to a really good standard. Is a leader within the team as well, was once tipped as a future Munster captain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

For me, Hodnett or Coombes should've been MOTM; 2 huge performances looking like their last-season selves. Crowley, after an ok start did brilliantly to respond. Nash, Ahern and Nankivell as well with big performances.

Overall, really pleased with that, a huge performance right when it was needed. Northampton now next weekend is set up nicely!

I wonder if Munster didn't miss a trick trying to convert Kendellan to hooker. The back row options will make it tough for him to establish himself at first choice there and there's been a long-standing dearth of hookers.

A long standing dearth...? Not sure about that. Haven't we had Denis Fogarty, Damian Varley, Mike Sherry, Niall Scannell, Kevin O Byrne, Diarmaid Barron and now Scott Buckley in recent years. I'm probably missing a couple, Rhys whathisname was a project player too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Thanks a million for this. Phenomenal performance, feels like it could be our turning point of our season if we can just get some more luck with injuries.

For me Nankivell was the MOTM, brought big energy moments at key points of the game, on both sides of the ball. But so many players had such big games, Hodnett and Scannell phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is this table wrong ?, A BP win wouldn’t be enough to overtake Exeter in 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It's wrong. We got a try bonus against Exeter which I suspect they forgot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭oppiuy

We play a day before Exeter so hopefully we get a bonus point win and put some pressure on. I wonder how Bayonne view things and will they go all out for qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Kendellan was Munsters best backrow prospect in years at 20s level (the biggest Munster backrow prospect since Jack O'Sullivan, who only had his breakout tournament due to Doris not beint around). Changing him to hooker would've been mental without the foresight of the freakish Quinn/Gleeson coming behind him.

Hodnett was trialed at hooker prior to U20 but didn't take to the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sportsmad5

how much bulk does he need. He is already heavier than all the Irish 2nd Rows bar Henderson (118kg) Ahern 116 kg, Beirne 113kg McCarthy 112kg Ryan 107kg and Baird 104kg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not a huge amount, but certainly a few kg more than if he stayed at 6, imo.

I'm pretty sure those are nonsense figures. Ryan 107kg? Add at least 10. McCarthy is at or near 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Just watched the game back. Serious team performance, should have won by more really. We coughed up 2 opportunities right on their line in the 2nd half. Great chance to nab a home last 16 game now with Northampton coming to Thomond and they already qualified.

Crowley Motm was a poor selection by the French. He did fine but Nankivell, Hodnett and Coombes were our 3 best players. We really fronted up against a very strong pack and that's what won the game for us. Scannell really shored up our set piece. Lineout and scrum are much better with him involved. Barron is better around the park but Scannell gives set piece solidity which we so badly need right now. A little worrying how much the starting front row had to play, hopefully they can rest up for next week. Loughman worked his socks off too.

I still can't fathom why Aherne was played at 6 the last few weeks when we are so short at 2nd row. For me, today showed that to be a terrible management decision. Coombes was outstanding back in his best position at 8. And Aherne did just as well at 4 and still played in the wide channels. Think that selection cost us big time the last few weeks.

Special mention to for Daniel Biggar. What a plonker. Shouting at the ref over the Nash blockdown after he couldn't make a 1:1 tackle on Aherne. Yes, he was tackling someone 20kg heavier, but he went high and was swatted aside like a bug. Such a dislikable character. Pity someone one on his own team didn't give him a good rollicking like he did to his own team mates in the WC. Can't stand the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agoodusername

Sorry for my ramblings but I'm trying to get my head around the new format as I half-watch another uncompetitive NFL playoff game, I'm honestly hoping that someone equally as bored as me can find gaps in my logic.

It looks like we get Toulouse or Leinster away if we lose, maybe even Northampton away if we truly capitulate, so yeah, lets be positive.

I think it'll take a miracle for us to get 2nd so my guess is with a win we'll be away to Bath/ Quins or even Northampton again. I can't pick a winner in Pool 1 either so any of the Bulls, Bordeaux or Lyon could finish 1st/2nd/3rd which makes this exercise quite a challenge.

I'm really struggling to work it out, but it seems like we'll be the 10th or 11th seed with a BP win.

We should know by the team that Toulon sends to Glasgow if Bayonne will really have anything to play for against Exeter. They're a weird side, so part of me could imagine them coaxing a 20-12 game or something out of nowhere.

Tbh, looking at how the bracket works, being the 3rd best 3rd place (the 11th seed) may be advantageous for future games, even though the chances of us getting a home game with that would be almost zero. This would probably keep Leinster and Toulouse away unless we make a SF again.

I do prefer the new format to the abomination last year, it'll force me to follow a couple more games than I ordinarily would, but it has given me a headache.

Advertisement