Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I did actually, if you took the time to read back through the pages on this thread you'd see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m with Thorntons too. I pay an annual service fee, and a fixed rate for each bin, the grey one being the most expensive. I don’t know if their fees vary from location to location, I’m from Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

For a company of that size it's not that strange at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unless pubs and restaurants start sourcing cans and plastic bottles from a different source to small shops then it almost certainly will. Are you saying there's going to be an exemption for sales of containers without the logo and barcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

I have not said anything, I just said you’re assuming they have a barcode.

pubs etc will be given a return bag and deposit all relevant containers into this. Their exemption is already outlined above.

• Advertisement

Well what else are you trying to imply?

Where did you hear about that bag? Are re-turn going to collect these bags from every pub and restaurant in the country? Seems implausible so what's the reason for the bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Is it a big company? How many employees does it have?

Bank of Ireland with a market cap of close to €9bn has 11 directors. Ryanair has 13.

This is from a PDF on how this scheme works for hospitality, no mention of pubs being given special bags to collect all the empty containers.

This excerpt is contrary to some of the recent information posted here. If a pub doesn't charge a deposit and the customer walks off with the container the pub loses the deposit they've paid themselves. So the deposit is added on when the drinks are first sold and the effectively passed along the sales chain, kind of like VAT, so you can't reclaim a deposit which was never paid because it's always paid at source.

As I said yesterday I’m new to this thread, so apologies if this factor has been raised before:

I have seen over the years ( with Thorntons) to crush bottles, flatten cardboard boxes so as not to waste space. As I understand this new system, the milk bottles & cans must be returned undamaged.

I also heard on the radio ( especially Liveline ) that some stores are not going to incur the cost of these returning machines, so will also stop stocking the foodstuffs in these containers - how a supermarket can stop stocking 2L milk is open to conjecture).

Where is the space going to appear? Or are these m/c’s going to crush the bottles/cans?

I don’t know but it just seems like more expense, when the green bin does the job as it is. The phrase ‘if it’s not broken why fix it’ springs to mind here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Plastic milk containers are exempt and will continue to go in your green bin.

The RVM will crush bottles and cans as soon as you put them in.

Milk isn’t part of the scheme. All dairy is exempt.

Shops can do manual collections instead of having a machine.

Small retailers are exempt. Small defined as a store size of less then 250m2 (this excludes storage, offices etc), effectively just what the consumer can see.

In RVMs, containers are usually crushed. I have not seen that spec for Irish machines. I assume they will.

If a 250m2 store can’t find space for a unit, I don’t know what to say. What you heard is scaremongering. It’s predicted a store will break even on the costs after 7 years when the handling fee is taken into account.

Thanks Folks, I didn’t know dairy bottles are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The purpose of having 11 directors was to ensure that big and small producers and big and small retailers were represented. Then 3 independents to bring balance.

The biggest (of many failures) of the Scotland scheme was not bringing retailers on board. The majority of grocery and convenience retailers (some exceptions) got on board with the scheme in Ireland early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

For anyone interested, there are a couple of good articles in the Sunday Indo today. Both in the business pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Again - please don’t misdirect readers. I have been wrong in certain areas and happy to admit it.

There has not been credible evidence in support of these machines and system put forward.

There is no hard data saying people don’t recycle, just hard data saying when the stuff ends up with waste companies it’s not recycled - can you comment on this at all? Or are we still going to go with the EPA top level recycling figures. The misrepresentation goes even deeper; we don’t have figures for PET recycling rates for example, even from the waste management companies, so for all we know that’s all being sorted out and recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

I've not had a bin in 20 years. I recycle everything and feed the dogs and hens with food waste. I just watched a video demo of a RVM. I've never seen such a slow process, imagine the queues! Looking at my own family shopping we would use 62 re-turn recycable items weekly between us all. TBH none of us will be standing at a RVM for 20 minutes before going shopping after work every Friday night. And you can't go to a local quiet shop to use their machine because you have to spend the voucher in their store. This is a pile of nonsense and should not be mandatory. It'll cost me €9.30 a week increase in my shopping bill if I don't recycle as the government want me to. If anything they should be giving a tax break to those of us that completely recycle everything ourselves.

Just a passenger

It doesn’t take 20 seconds per item. It’s far quicker than that. Nesty, as a random example, can do 45 items a minute. I doubt you can load them that quickly so you’re talking less than 5 minutes for €8.60 back. Your decision to reclaim it or not.

62 is a high number but I don’t know your family size. If you choose to reduce the number of plastic and aluminium containers, that’s great. Better for the environment.

The voucher will be valid the next day, the next week, or the next month. Of course you can go when it’s quiet and claim it at another times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

You need to take into account the queues. If machines are inside shops you can't use them at the quiestest times (when closed) and other quiet times are not workable for the majority of hard working tax paying folk.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Couldn't they have tasked jobseekers or immigrants or whoever with that task for an hour a day, to give them a break from actively applying for roles?

This may disproportionately affect older people who might no longer drive and now will have to haul bags to their local supermarkets lest their few quid from the pension is hoovered up on them. A lot of same older people moved to free delivery schemes from the larger chains at off peak hours during covid and have continued with the convenience of not having to carry heavy bags.

You used the phrase “none of us will be standing at a RVM” - I interpreted this to mean loading bottles/cans.

If you accept that you will be loading your 62 containers in less than 5 minutes, you’re estimating a queue of 15 minutes? I think your vastly overestimating queue times for the sake of your argument. I also think your shifting your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Are you sure about that? regarding rvm crushing them. i mean does it say that anywhere or is this speculation?

i've seen a few of these RVM around with a feb 1st sticker over the bottle slot, but i've seen atleast 2 of these machines with a woodin bin yoke beside them, i'm assuming rejected bottles or unscannnables are meant to go in there i think i dunno.

but if the rvm crushes the thing instantly as soon as we put them in like you said its seems a bit fishy and fraudulent. Maybe it scans it and then decides to crush after verifying what it is? and maybe it rejects things without a barcode or without the same matching stuff needed. we can really only speculate and guess and assume here.

has anyone even seen a can or bottle with the return logo on it yet? i want to see what it looks like. i recall reading something about someone buying a can of drink up near the north with the logo on it and their missus crushing the can. i would like to see what a can looks like with the logo Before feb 1st if possible.

i have a strange feeling, a slight hunch that the machine will accept cans and plastic bottles i'm hoping, but they just say "has to have our special label on it, and only things purchased after launches on feb 1st will be accepted" as a sort of spoof to stop hoarders proffitting and gaming the thing. imagine that for a conspiracy lol, lying about the cans needing the logo thing through wording. i realize its a reach, but its an outcome i'd like

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

have all the other RVM's gone now because of this feb 1st thing? are they all being upgraded to re-turn does anyone know? or will they continue to operate alongside there-turn scheme?

what im asking is basically: has the ship sailed for returning tins and bottles for vouchers in the likes of places like lidl , aldi , dunnes, tesco etc. ?

the scheme that didnt involve cans needing the return logo i'm on about

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Obviously you can't afford to throw away €8.70 each week.

There will be a transition time from February.

You may find it suitable to change shopping habits to try to reduce the number of returnables.

For instance 5 liter water bottles are exempt.

Also perhaps you could replace some cans with glass bottles.

It is going to be more inconvenient but once the transition period is over there will be no escaping the deposit.

If the RVM crushes containers, and my understanding is that they will do based on how they work in other countries, but they crush it after it’s verified. If it’s rejected, you get the bottle back in the condition you put it in.

The containers have to have the return logo on them. There’s a special barcode as per the FAQs on the website “All ‘in scope’ beverage containers must feature the Re-turn symbol and a new national (or international) barcode. All producers must comply with the labelling guidelines as set out in the Technical Specifications and Labelling Manual provided by Re-turn.”.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,632 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long gone.

I have piles of cans with the logo on them already - both Galway Bay Brewery and Vocation (English brewery) appear to have them on the bulk of their stock that's in shops now. The GBB ones started turning up in August!

i want to see some of them cans. i do believe you and i know this sounds super silly but i'm kinda hyped up! lol.

i love the idea of recycling things and getting money or some voucher for it. i just hate the part where its deposit based. i'll be most likely recycling other peoples stuff for some easy monies, peanuts really i know but its for the fun of it

• Advertisement

i wonder if theres a way people will find out how to cheat the machine or print out stickers with the logo on it. i love the mischief things and getting up to mischief. i've read some posts on here and other places about people years ago bringing back glass bottles and then climbing over the wall of the shop to get the same glass bottles back. Hilarious stuff!

i know the rope on the bottle trick wont work in these machines, but its funny to imagine it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement