Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partners brother and sister in law and 3 children allocated a 4 bed home/four toilets.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

So a bit of an update, turns out they told the LA they

planning on having more children, possibly up to 4 more, the local politicians helped them push things along, they have told family they they have being actively trying for a baby since they found out they would be getting the House of which they found out in July of last year. They told nobody, until we all got calls the other week.

The other family, of whom I know personally, I had a chat with husband, and he told me they've no rent arrears and never got into any bother with the council as he and his wife works they pay more than the limit that say social welfare recipients pay, they sought help from a local councillor, whilst they are on the transfer list, apparently the eldest is an one issue, as although the eldest is doing a full time course, she works and as he put it earns more than the wife/mother, also he believes when all the wages are put together it's a substantial amount, he said the council approached him about buying the house from them, that's all I know,

Yet I wonder, let's say the other family had the funds to build on an extension with council permission of course, it's what I call an old council house with big gardens front and back and side, I was going to suggest to him but I didn't as I wanted some opinions. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Ineptocracy.

Eventually, the money runs out. And it will run out quicker in other western countries because they don’t have the indefinite FDI we have.

But run out it will.

The current government are pushing hard on pensions. This is because the State has made the correct assumption that it will not be able to fund its welfare programmes in future years.

And OAPs are a growing percentage of the voting population. Some people are living to 100 years of age now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I believe that this (among other things) is also why the state is so adamant about mass immigration. With a dwindling native population, huge numbers of immigrants will allow them to continue to keep the GDP growth going and the pensions flowing. This is, of course, unsustainable in the long term, and immigration in such numbers generates all sorts of problems of which a shortage of housing is just one. However, I suppose that if you're a senior civil servant or politicians in your early 60s (the very people who are making most of the decisions), this doesn't matter as you only need to keep the gravy train rolling for another few decades.

I speculate often on where all this is going, and none of these lines of thinking bring me to especially optimistic conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This is really depressing to read but not because of what they got but the utter judgment and begrudgery.

Firstly the claim they are getting a property they don't qualify for is wrong. There is a MINIMUM standard which people are using to say they shouldn't have got so many bedrooms. That isn't how it works and you may be given a property that exceeds the minimum.

Secondly it was a transfer which means somebody else was willing to take the property they had as it is without rework. The other family the OP seems to have been better for someone else but was anybody willing to take what they had to transfer if they had something to transfer at all? If not then they were not eligible for the property

The dismissal of their disability is also a bit strange as we are just told it is minor and not stopping them from working. I have a few things I could go on disability for if I was working a physical labour job but as I have other skills I can work a non physical job. Not everyone can so with their skills /knowledge they may not be able to do the work they are qualified to do.

There is nothing to envy here as they will live a poor lifestyle and income will drop in the house hold as the children get older. Even if the kids stay and get their own income rent will increase. Time will change everything and it isn't a good lifestyle long term.

Some of the comments here are absurd like people coming form Asia being given houses and working as a taxi driver because it is cash in hand. That would require a lot of fake documentation to get a taxi licence and then somehow manipulate the fare machine while ignoring that credit cards are now how most pay now and is required. So an extra fake documentation to have the ability to use Sum Up. That is of course after being able to get a visa for Ireland which is hard to get without having needed skills.

Councillors like to say they will do something to help but they can't really but they will take credit if it works out. The most they really can do is query something and no more. So if there is a mistake it might help but other than that they can do nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement