Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Masters - Jan 7th to Jan 14th - BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But the gas thing is Murphy does not have a 'posh' background at all. I think the real reason he gets so wound up by O'Sullivan is that Ronnie had a multi-millionaire upbringing and is yet seen as the man of the people. Yet Murphy is seen as the 'posh boy'.

I had to laugh that Murphy had to throw that fact in this Eurosport interview 13th January - hidden under the "We are different people line". It obviously gets to him.

From the article above -

Murphy conceded he and O’Sullivan do not see eye to eye on many subjects.

“We are very different, we have different opinions on almost everything,” Murphy said. “We come from a completely different world, I don’t come from the same world as Ronnie.

“Ronnie comes from a very privileged, very wealthy background. I come from a very working class, had-nothing-growing-up, background.

“We have differing views on most things because of that, but what we have is a deep passion for this game.”

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jesus Christ, what a load of nonsense. He is absolutely not a “posh boy”, grew up with nothing and left school at 15.

The shite people talk about Murphy is unreal. I know a few people who know him socially and they speak very highly of him. Had a very rough time growing up and is great craic now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd actually prefer Murphy to O'Sullivan and he's right in that sense. O'Sullivan's father throwing money at Ken Doherty to come and practice with him etc. Ye as you say, he has this man of the people reputation, when he's anything but.

And on top of what you say, what makes the resentment more, is Murphy makes no bones about how much he wants to win. And O'Sullivan wants to win as bad as anyone, but pretends he doesn't care. It would be infuriating watching this gifted player win all the time, then with this attitude of "didn't care anyway", taking the good from anyone else's victory when they beat him.

For me with Murphy it's stuff like when someone smashed the balls from the break (was it Hann) and he keeps going on about sportsmanship and etiquette, does himself no favours.

He's actually a great ambassador for the sport as he generally cares about it's history, former champions, legacy of the game beyond himself, that things are done right and that the sport is respected. But he can over do it at times. He's pretentious but I actually don't mind him

I was being facetious, see my next post. I was talking as in how he's often viewed

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I can see your annoyance though, a very decent person given a hard time, generally by these O'Sullivan fanboys who know nothing about the sport and watch one tournament a year.

They hang on what he says, and O'Sullivan has created a fairly toxic attitude towards Murphy from some quarters, completely undeserved. It's not right

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I just cannot stand him commentating, No doubt he will be doing one of the sessions tomorrow and I will be switching over to Eurosports when that happens

Just on O'Sullivan, I think he's a disgrace. Seen him and Hendry in Goff's recently. Hendry when he came out acknowledged the crowd and took in what was around him. O'Sullivan waited till the last minute to come out and hardly acknowledged anyone.

A bat flew in and O'Sullivan had so little interest in being there, Hendry had to get his attention to show him. Hendry laughed about it telling him. O'Sullivan didn't even smile and just walked out, Hendry looked mildly surprised O'Sullivan had no interest in what was an odd situation.

He's a privileged pr1ck, a complete narcissist, who is very focused and driven on winning, but conveys this character to pretend he doesn't care, to downplay others achievements, and to take the good from others bettering him when beaten

He's become a parody of himself at this stage, wheeling the same soundbites every week for 30 years, doesn't care one week, does the next. Ye riveting controversy.

He did want to beat Hendry that day, and there is still that dislike there. And it would kill Hendry if he got that 8th world title. But Hendry now has to present himself on TV as being above it and happy for O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan then constantly telling him he's the best ever, as he's about to break his records, completely patronising rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭spurshero

On this like at 12.15 am the night before he plays o Sullivan he’s sitting in the studio commentating on the end of Selby Allen match . Surely he should be away from the scene to give himself the best chance of giving Ronnie a real test . There will be plenty time for punditry down the road ya would have thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

I like O’Sullivan simply because he’s so good to watch when he’s in form. I always thought though that he was genuinely a bit of a manic depressed sort of character but now I think he’s just mostly trying to play mind games and wind up the other players to gain some sort of edge. Not a very likeable character off the table I’d agree.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well the bit of needle between Carter and O'Sullivan will add a little bit of interest to it. Although with all of O'Sullivans possible opponents since Friday evening there has been a run in with each of them at some time or another.

I'd expect Carter to give him a match.

The needle is all one way, Carter can’t stand Ronnie.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I don't. Barring a meltdown I think he'll run through Carter easily today. Carter has only beaten Ronnie 3 times in 25 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I reckon carter will get steamrolled today

He's not at Ronnie's level generally as a player anyhow

Same strategy here taking risks

Paying off so far

Possibly turning into one of Ronnie's off days where he quits

Hard to say at this stage

Ronnie is playing way too loose.

they/them/theirs

Murphy is so annoying with this disrespect angle

Ronnie can take on whatever shots he likes within the rules

O'Sullivans strategy is to force the pace and play out the match his way

If it works out ya can't argue with it

• Advertisement

Mid session and it's only 2pm. Ronnie on a 12 second shot time. He didn't play this fast when he was 17.

It'll be interesting to see this strategy play out today

Mid session looking like it'll probably be good enough for the win if he doesn't lose interest in the match as often happens

i haven’t heard him mention disrespect once. Except in the context that his shot choice isn’t disrespectful if it works.

they/them/theirs

Carter is playing well

Ronnie would have a better chance with a safer strategy

Might be enough to get him over the line taking risks , hard to say

I've forgot his exact words now but that was the jist of it a few frames back

It makes no sense to me cos you play the table and a player is entitled to play loose if he wishes

Ronnie will need to change strategy if this isn't working for him

Knowing him he probably wont

Fair play to Carter so far playing fantastic, I didn't think he had that focus in him. Only problem is he has to keep those levels up, because of who he is playing.

Ya carter is on it

Be every interesting see which way this goes

I always think a good final is important as well, it can draw in youngsters to the sport that wouldn't have the interest otherwise.

• Advertisement

Makes for a better evening now with Carter guaranteed to be at least level.

Advertisement