Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I actually feel things have calmed down on this thread for two reasons - people are fuming about the fraud going on with asylum system, and people are expecting / hoping the Greens will be dumped out of government within the next 12 months so a lot of this stuff won't be implemented. But i've a bad feeling the damage they've done will outlast their stay in power, especially with the legal restrictions imposed upon future governments. We may literally need legislation in future to de-toxify the impact of the Green party, particularly on the insane emissions targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Roderic O`Gorman may be getting it in the neck at the moment over the asylum system but I don`t believe people are looking at it as solely a Green Party s**t show. I believe the reason it has calmed down here of late is because for some time now it has become very difficult to defend many of the Irish Green Party actions and the realisation that their proposals on electricity generation in particular are untenable..

As has been said here often, barring a change to the constitution, which would required a referendum with a majority voting to pass, there is no legal restriction on a government to changing or scraping anything brought in by a previous government. Under the present plan the 2050 emissions target is a non-runner. We are not going to be spending upwards of 75% of our GDP on a plan that nobody can put a cost too, or if it would even work to scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Yes, I think I illustrated it quite correctly. You are on the extreme side which think humans are responsible for climate change.

I am not having god complex like the side you represent, I am simply aware that humans are contributing to some of it.

There are far more dangerous things than climate change for which humans are directly responsible. Like pollution, waste of natural resources which was what greenpeace was fighting against. Crazy doomsday rhetoric took over and hijacked worthy causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its going to be so interesting to watch the Greens (and to be fair a lot of politicians from the other parties who've gone along with their nonsense) as we get closer to 2030 and are nowhere near our targets.

To meet the 2030 target our emissions had to reduce by 4% odd a year every year this decade, but so far have mostly been increasing (up 12.3% in 2022 alone!). At the moment 2030 is still two election cycles away so the issue is being ignored, but we haven't a hope of coming anywhere near a 51% reduction. Current projections have us at about 20-30% by then - and thats largely from hitting relatively low hanging fruit like electrifying cars/buses, home retrofits, adding some wind/solar power, increasing carbon taxes a bit etc. And even at that the Greens have hemorrhaged support.

When the Greens in the 2028/2029 start preaching that we need to bring in more drastic, much more punitive measures, its going to go down like a brick with the population at large. I wonder at that time will the more mainstream parties then relax on the environmental agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

It's obvious the Greens are hell bent on reducing air travel and tourism in general. If hotels are full to the brim with immigrants then there is nowhere for tourists to stay hence them not coming equalling less air travel.

It's fairly sinister but at the same time the greedy hotel owners are as culpable as they are stupid as they will go out of business in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Considering the the power grid is already strained because of the ever increasing number of data centres being built, increasing the number of EV's on the road is going to considerably add to that strain, does the government have a plan in place of our electricity demands for the next 2 decades as we move from ICE vehicles to EV's?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

oh yeah any future government can certainly remove any restrictions imposed by a past government, but they'd need to actively bring in legislation to do that. Which will be very difficult politically especially in a coalition.

Don't be silly. This government doesn't do long term planning.

It does not:

"National grid operator Eirgrid predicts that all-Ireland electricity demand will rise 43 per cent over the 10 years to 2032, while suppliers have backed out on pledges to build new generators. The State company warns that the outlook remains challenging “with capacity deficits identified during the 10 years to 2032″.

Eirgrid says it expects electricity supply and demand to be particularly tight over the next five winters. Its report notes that steps taken to avoid shortages include keeping older power plants open beyond their scheduled closing date."

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/01/13/squeezed-electricity-supplies-may-force-state-to-fall-back-on-older-fossil-burning-power-plants-eirgrid-report/

• Advertisement

At the end of the day in economics it all comes back to that old saying, "money talks, bullshit walks"

The German government, the mother and father of this green wind revolution that is in large part to blame for much of the present European energy crisis with their reliance (and their often bullyboy tactics of attempting to encourage others to do the same) on Putin`s gas as a transitional energy source, are cutting their Climate and Transformation Fund for 2024 by €12 Billion with further cuts of €33 Billion between 2024 and 2027. And that is a coalition government that includes greens in a country that was the economic powerhouse of Europe.

I don`t think anybody really believes at this stage that the economics behind this present plan are viable. If they do then they have not shown how they believe it is. It doesn`t really matter that much who is in a future government. Economics is like tailoring, you have to cut your cloth to suit your purse.

No government plan I have seen other than the offshore wind plan of 50/50 split of generation between consumption and hydrogen.

Eirgrid have predicted that our needs by 2050 will be double our present taking it to around 14 GW. Under the present government plan that would require 70GW generation by offshore wind. Even fantasy economics would not come close to the cost required for that. A cost that nobody other than the consummer would be paying. We have also guaranteed these offshore companies that we will pay for all they generate even if we do not need or use it. Again to be paid for by nobody other than the consummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Really disappointing article in the Irish Times. It perpetuates the myth of an urban rural divide in Green Party support, with rural areas being anti Green Party.

The reality is that the vast majority of urban areas are anti Green Party as well. You only have to look at their pathetic polling figures.

It's very worrying that a fringe political organisation like the Greens can poll so low in the last election yet do so much damage to a nation in a short space of time. Brings into question the whole system of electing our government and it's long term viability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well the fact of the matter is that the modern Green Party here is an urban party, they pursue policies that service and address the needs of urban living. And have given up really on rural Ireland. Malcolm Noonan's base for example is Kilkenny, a large town. So it's not a myth to say they hope to elected from the green leafy suburbs. The bite there is that increasingly rental and purchase of property is a problem for middle class adult children and whilst there are many causes, boosting the population with tens of thousands of new arrivals annually ain't helping.

This is the bit I don't get. The Green agenda would be hopeful of reducing air travel alright but in theory the Greens should be hugely behind domestic tourism, the staycation etc. The paradox is that they've been busy shafting domestic rural tourism this past year and two. I don't think they understand the effects on towns like Killarney. Sure the rich Yanks & well paid politicians & public servants can still stay there and play golf. But those visitors with less disposable income have been frozen out by the conversion of cheaper accommodation to refugee use.

Catherine Martin is Minister for Tourism. I can't recall a single announcement that I came across in the past year from her, supporting domestic tourism. I've heard her on about culture and artists etc - but domestic tourism, she's missing in action completely afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

80 year old man blows circa €40k on an electric car and solar panels to save money, he will never save 1 single cent back in his lifetime, this green crazyness shouldn't be encouraged by RTÉ having it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Even IF Ireland and the EU ever achieve "net zero", i bet it makes no difference at all to global temperatures. I anticipate we'll then see them fully pivot to the next gimmick : Carbon sequestration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What's happening now (in this thread and elsewhere given some of the news reports and articles posted) is that people are realising that ideology and good thoughts rarely do well when they come up against economics and realpolitik.

It was the same the last time our Green fantasists were in power - once the reality of the financial crisis started to sink in, all their notions were quickly moved on from in the face of a far more pressing reality.

The same is true now. The country is in the midst of a housing and immigration crisis (on top of all the other problems that FG and their coalition colleagues have failed to address or actively made worse over the past 12/13 years), and we have Ryan threatening our energy security so he can push his nonsense of cycleways everywhere!

The only cycle we need to complete is the one where he and his bunch are once again returned to irrelevancy - not that 7% of the vote from those who bothered to turn out at all last time was ever a ringing endorsement in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Gas being a transition fuel was always BS. Coal powerstations needed replacing and economics favoured gas over everything else by a country mile. Gas happening to have lower CO2 per MWh was used as some cheap virtue-signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is this not obvious? Firstly, travel will be curtailed and taxes will rise. Expect per mile taxation linked to the NCT or something like that. Households still using fossil fuels will be hit with levies on the properties. They'll be devalued and loans won't be given based on poor BER ratings. Agriculture will be decimated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Is there any limit to the stupidity Ryan talks about?

so they hike up the tolls and force cars to drive through the cities and now he wonders why? They built the most expensive children’s hospital in the world, and those who will work there will have their parking space removed? Is this geezer for real?

I mean, I don't doubt thats the Green's plan. But unless they end up as a majority party in government I can't see anything remotely like that actually being implemented this decade by FF/FG/SF. It'd be electoral suicide, and none of those three are that wedded to the environmental agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Wrong. They are all currently wedded to it. The green have been in government 9 of the last 18 years. There's no major reason to think they won't be back next time around. It's probably the current trio or SF and some small looney crew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

What the current political establishment will never understand, is what they and their fellow travelers in media and NGOs call populism is the political blowback against the social disruption that their own policies have produced. They do not want to understand the connection between what they have done and the current outcome, that's why of late they tar and feather everyone who objects as "far right" or whatever the epithet of the day happens to be.

It was FG (Enda Kenny) who chained us to the EU block, in the 2015 Paris agreement, completely untenable goals that must be abandoned or else produce nonsense statistics that are obviously lies and undermine their credibility even further. Both Germany and the UK are ground zero in regard to so the failure of green energy to deliver reliable output and cheap prices. As a small economy on the outskirts of mainland Europe, Irish politics tends to hitch its wagon to whoever has the money and resources, this has been generally successful, however, blind adherence to agendas outside your direct voters concerns culminates with removal from the political stage.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I'm finding it's a lot of the small independents that are the sensible ones and the major political organisations that are the looney crew personally..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭prunudo

Take a screenshot at 4am and see how many trans Atlantic flights are transiting Irish airspace, even if we reduced incoming flights, there are still a huge amount of flights flying through "our air". We'll be the best boys in class as usual, while international partners do as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Only if there is a new player to make entrance onto that policial stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Again all that matters are the KPIs. Whats the old adage...what gets measured gets done

• Advertisement

None of them other the Greens and SocDems are wedded to it. A FG/Green only government would go the furthest on climate measures, because FG are the most climate focused big party, but even then its doubtful they'd go as far as you the things you listed.

With either FF or SF as the major party in government there isn't a hope Irish farming will be decimated or anything like that, both parties have very strong rural conservative voter bases that make up a significant part of their support (and TDs).

If we have a FF/SF, or SF/FF/Farmers Alliance government after the next election, we'll have a government very hesitant on wacky environmental measures. That'll do wonders for letting the country focus on more important things.

Advertisement