Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone noticed more cars driving without lights at night?

• 14-01-2024 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be damned if I dont notice at least one car a week driving without lights, I started to notice it when I was out jogging last year and had to wave at a couple of cars to get their attention, but am seeing it more driving, obviously still one 1 in hundreds of cars that pass me but still, the other strange thing im sure in at least one occasion, the front lights were off but the back lights were on, are there some weird imports? are people driving with 2 front bulbs out ;-) , otherwise are people just dopey, started out when it daylight and didnt notice it going dark.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

The dials are permanently lit up on most cars so people think the lights are on. Then you also have daytime lights on the front but no lights on the back. If everyone left the lights in auto we wouldn't have this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Alas, not all cars have auto setting for lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Southern Jebus

Auto doesn't always sense low visibility due to rain or fog. People should just get in habit of switching to dipped lights when start car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't know what you drive but I've always found that auto lights picked up poor visibility, or low light, regardless of the cause. No point having Auto if you're manually setting dipped lights every time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I've noticed a lot of cars recently with front lights on but not on the back.

• Advertisement

Daytime running lights, generally, are front only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I notice it when I drive into an underground car park

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My auto lights (Hyundai Tucson) always pick up fog or low light conditions fairly early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

I always have my lights on auto so they come on automatically when it gets dark enough (as you would expect!).

But whenever I leave the car in for a service, they turn off auto, and I drive around oblivious to the fact that I have no rear lights on - the daytime running lights are on so its not obvious that the headlights aren't on.

Ok. Fair enough. Not sure of the relevance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

It's kinda related to the topic of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

The AUTO setting on cars is a design mistake. Loads of drivers leave it this way and only have the daytime lights on even when its foggy or raining/reduced vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I just leave mine on all the time (no auto option).

A load of cars with DRLs and no back lights on, it's scary. It's about once a week I've had to flash someone ahead of me completely unlit because their DRLs make them think they have lights on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Auto on my BMW works perfectly, turning on the lights whenever you’d expect. On previous cars I generally just left them on permanently this time of year, can’t do any harm to be more visible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

My Auto lights (15 year ole VW) work perfectly when light conditions deteriorate.

What I find quite common are numerous instances of only one headlight operating (we call the "one-eyed gunners"). I wonder do they routinely fail their next NCT.

Worst of all are cars with no iights whatsoever (invariably in urban areas) . They don't notice anything because they rely on street lights. Obviouly thay never look at their speedometer or other dashboard instrumentation. Says a lot about their sheer carelessness.

Auto switches to main headlights when visibility is reduced.

Yes if its working properly. I'm sure some aren't as not all tech works correctly. Can't beat a human to make the decision instead.

TBH that's a bit lame. The vast majority work just fine.

yes because you are obviously an expert, Sorry master yoda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Always turn my lights on when I start the car. It's a pure habit at this stage.

Was funny years ago to have cars flashing at me that the lights were on. Times have changed and I'd say most cars drive with lights during day too but yeah I definitely come across at least one car a week with no lights on in the dark.

How driver doesn't realise is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I don't use the auto settings but I have never forgotten to turn my lights on.The lit up dashboard is the problem alright I think and also the same symbol on the dash for parking lights/dipped beams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Drove home last night. 20 minute drive. Encountered 2 cars with no lights on at all, and a 3rd had only 1 rear ligg bulb faintly working.

Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I changed my car last year from a newish audi to and very old petrol passat purely because I'm doing alot less mileage now and don't really need the car anymore.

I won't lie the first couple of times I kept forgetting to turn on the headlights due to the fact it was always done for me in the audi, the passat is so old it doesn't have that auto lights feature.

Got into the habit of turning it on myself now everytime I'm in it whether it's bright out or not.

Miss the audu though 🤣 not just for the lights!

Advertisement