Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

And those who believes Israel is committing atrocities in Gaza and The West Bank are anti semites and hate Jews?

That has been a very common stance since the early days of this thread (note, not an argument).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Netanyahu fears losing the ICJ case? Quote is accurate btw - widely reported from a TV address he made this evening.

Also on RTE

The implications of interim measures being handed down would imply that the judges are minded toward a finding of genocide. That would be a devastating result for Israel. Especially as their ad hoc judge is a survivor of the holocaust.

If Israel believe interim measures are more likely than not, I can imagine they will now throw everything they have at Gaza before that finding is published. The atrocities may well put what has happened up to now in the ha'penny place.

I hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Exactly. Who could blame the Irish for defending the land they lived on for many generations and trying to repel the "strangers".

I don't think the Palestinians voted for the British and international law is still being broken by Jewish settlers with no repercussions as they engage in continual Israeli expansion.

Without law, there is terrorism or as the more sympathetic to the situation like to think "freedom fighting".

One is a simple soul, I can see things easily from a Palestinian position. You see I am on the families land right now, even though I was born in and grew up in England. It isn't much, it has a house and a fragmented farm. Fragmented I am told because the English Landlord did not want to give my Irish ancestors their land back in the easiest most economically farmed form.

So I know what my family went through, those that emigrated, those that were made homeless and left to the charity of relatives. It provides a bit of empathy with people thrown out of their homes, off their land and given no legal rights to appeal.

They might be a different religion, a different culture, but they are no less human than myself and therefore I want justice for them too. Bombing the crap out of people is not justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

So, the UK hates Jews now? Or could it possibly be more nuanced than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What land has Israel stolen in Gaza?

The rest of the post is romantic rubbish, plenty of us grew up in England and 200 years ago our families had more.

there no excuse for terrorism

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Let's not forget America supports this creep, a guy who doesn't respect the international rule of law or the Haque.

• Advertisement

It certainly would suggest that he fears Israel losing the case. Why would he ridicule the ICJ if he felt confident of winning?

I've heard some legal experts saying an interim judgement against Israel would be profoundly significant. It would mean any country continuing to provide military support to Israel after the ruling would be a party to genocide and in clear breach of the ICJ ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To be honest Netanyahu only respects those who don't criticise him, he won't listen to Jew or gentile who doesn't reflect his own opinion. He seems to be like Trump that way. And this is the guy who will decide when the killing of civilians stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There has been a massive rise in anti semitic incidents in recent months so yes, a lot of people in the UK hate Jews and it really isn't more nuanced than that in many cases

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you.

Was just reading a Haaretz article (paywalled). Their stance was that they don't believe Israel committed genocide but the Israel Govt and Netanyahu, with their rhetoric, put Israel in a position where a submission was likely. They are pretty p*ssed with Netanyahu alright.

Also from the article:

While the International Criminal Court (also in the Hague) prosecutes individuals, the world court deals with countries or recognized international organizations. Both the plaintiff (in this case, South Africa) and the defendant (Israel) have to consent to its jurisdiction and accept its ruling with no appeal recourse. Judgment is final and the panel of judges' decision need not be unanimous.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People should not be killed outside schools in Europe of in Gaza. Murder is murder no matter where it happens. No murder is right.

Sean, we've seen people on both sides sides stating that they wanted to wipe out the other.

The problem with that is that the US has already supplied Israel with weapons in advance of any judgement from the ICJ.

• Advertisement

The US are a lost cause obviously but I'd guess many some others would feel very uncomfortable if the court found against Israel on a charge of genocide - they would be getting into a very dodgy / risky area legally.

When all this is over and the truth comes out I can't see many countries wanting anything to do with the murderous state of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Gaza is the dumping ground for the refugees that had their land stolen by settlers.

Romantic rubbish? So you dismiss people with value for their heritage as "romantic rubbish"? I don't class my families history and the suffering my ancestors went through as romantic rubbish. I feel quite proud that we survived the attempts of the largest power on earth at one point to steal our land and starve us into the grave.

If there is no excuse for terrorism, why did the Brit's give way to the Israeli terrorists prior to the Balfour declaration?

Why is it terrorism to fight for a right to survive as free individuals and perfectly fine to bomb countries for their oil?

Why do you think Israel doesn't even try to stop or hand back illegally settled land?

If a people have no access to justice, what do they do? What would you do if your way of life and freedom was limited by a foreign power?

If Israel had some respect for UN declarations or Palestinian citizens lives I could see a desire to move forward in an attempt at some form of decency, but it doesn't does it?

Why continue land theft if it riles the owners. Might I remind you that Israel now wants to cut Gaza off from Egypt, thus Israeli control of Gaza is going to be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Well, with the Balfour Declaration, they backed the creation of a Jewish state in the area that is now Israel/Palestine. Lest not forget the region was still part of the Ottoman Empire at the time of the Balfour declaration. Would an Israeli state have been created under Ottoman rule? Highly unlikely, so the reality is that it was the British who were the key factor in the fulfillment of the Zionist project.

Like I posted previously, during the post WW1 peace negotiations, the Americans actually set up a Commission to look at the possibilities for the region, the British and the French both refused to take part in that Commission, primarily because they knew the results wound run counter to their agendas in the region. That was precisely the case, the Commission rejected the idea of a Zionist state in the region knowing that it would be an absolute shitshow. When they surveyed the people of the region, the overwhelming wish was for an Arab State covering Syria, Palestine, Lebanon & Jordan under an American mandate, more or less what the British had also promised the Arabs during WW1. Of course the British ignored that promise and went ahead with the Palestinian mandate and the Zionist project.

Under the British mandate, the Arabs were effectively ignored and treated as second class citizens whilst Jewish immigration sky-rocketed, with the British also selling land to the settlers. Naturally enough the Arabs got tired of being ignored and as with most groups who are consistently ignored politically, started to use more violent methods and communal violence between the Arabs, Jewish settlers and the British broke out. With the British struggling to control things, they realised rather belatedly that it was turning into an absolute shitshow(as predicted), so they then tried to restrict Jewish immigration to the region in an effort to balance things out, leading to conflict between the Zionists and the British also. The British actually wanted the Israelis to hold off on trying to create a state as they knew the ramifications, but the Israelis proclaimed independence anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

No Biden could decide that tomorrow but he won't because he'll lose a lot of votes for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This doesn't have any actual power though. I mean Russia is committing war crimes but will we ever see Putin in the Hague I doubt it. If they are found guilty I suspect Israel will carry on regardless. Judgements and law only have power if they can be enforced. International law doesn't really mean anything as it gets broken daily without consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

More dishonesty and ad hominem.

In fairness to the clueless blue haired college students, they managed to get a pretty watertight case presented to the ICJ.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This persistence in framing all opposition to Israeli Government policy as coming from the left only is amusing. I suppose it kills two birds with one stone: the poster gets to indulge their hatred of all things left wing and defend Israel at the same time, but what about Israeli left wing organisations and media that are critical of their own Government. Are they self hating Israelis? Also someone said there is no excuse for terrorism ever. Does that mean the likes of Irgun were wrong to do what they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think they consider the left wing Jews in Israel and America as Jews in name only (JINO) . I've heard Ben shapiro and other right wing critics use that term as well as well as self-hating Jews. Its strange as the far right is obviously antisemitic so left- right divide doesnt really apply for the gaza-israel conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

The general consensus on this thread is people are against Hamas and also against Israel. Hamas for their terrorist attacks and mindless killing and for Israel for their terrorist attacks and mindless killing.

Who started this is chicken or egg stuff, but it wasn't started on 7/10 and Israel's response since hasn't be proportionate. When people call this out its not being anti-semitic. Israel has a right to defend itself but that right is not absolute, it doesn't trump the right of innocent people.

You never did reply to my query regarding what your thoughts were on all the innocent Palestinian deaths and if any criticism of Israel is Anti-semitic.

Advertisement