Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Wreaks of a sort of desperation to convey to us all that he’s doing extremely well and this move was the greatest move in the history of moves…. And surely Hollywood will be in touch soon…

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Not forgetting talking to Sinead O Connor 2 weeks before her death who told Ryan how God when all is going well has a habit of appearing in hoddie, stabbing you and robbing you. Sinead was probably talking about her experiences of life but is Ryan protraying this as loosing his pampered RTE life?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There's even a reference in the article to "Anglo-Ireland FM" which is linked to an article on the website about his new show. Just checked to see if the domain name (anglo-ireland . fm ) was available. It was but it might be a bit expensive at around $60 to register.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mykrodot

"the story everyone wants to read" according to the Mail! ha ha ha ha ha ha...... I'd imagine a lot of people will see that on the newstand today and snort with laughter. We've heard it all. He was welcomed by the Irish ambassador, recognised in the streets, thousands of welcoming texts, invitations to Dermot Kennedy's house etc. He sure knows how to talk himself up..........him and Noel Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

For me the things I enjoyed were

a) the entire piece written to hammer home that Noel Kelly nothing to do with him getting the gig - good friend Chris Evans looking out for a buddy in distress

b) The phrase "Now it was my turn to laugh"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It does actually read like the work of a reasonably intelligent primary school "what I did on my holidays" essay

Oh look its god in a hoodie, no Ryan you're actually being mugged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Prime slot on British radio, newspaper column, living in one of the greatest cities in the world with his new paramour, cousin making an absolute show of himself on the “didn’t need another season” Tiernan show. Worse Sundays for The Tubmeister.

Mcsavage was great last night , 2 thirds , or 2 tirds as Ryan would say in his comical oirish voice of last nights show was amazing.

---------------------------------

Warned: Off topic

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Nothing about the Late Late snub. NK has investments to protect, even at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

If an 18 year old student wrote that column about leaving home to go study in London, you'd feel a bit worried for them......

That was a 50 year old man, an author and owner of many books, who once commanded 700k from his employer.

At this stage, I'm actually starting to feel a sliver of admiration for Tubs. A case study in where zero self awareness and a set of brass balls will get you.

• Advertisement

The reality is that McSavage is about as funny as seeing 10 missed calls from your siblings. Tiernan is in danger of overexposure as well - shock value stuff isn’t what Pat and Pamela Murphy down in Cavan are into. The sort who pay for their Tv licence

------------------------------------------------------

Warned: Off-topic

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The attempts to suggest it was all a big surprise, with these walter mittyisms.

I hadn’t heard from Chris for a long time but when he heard I was in London, he invited me for coffee after his show. I sat in the cab wondering what it was all about. ......And there’s me thinking this cup of coffee had just got very serious......it dawned on me pretty quickly that this was more than just a casual conversation and, sure enough, talk of a possible position began."

"I traipsed around Putney, Clapham and beyond until the crime thriller I was reading changed everything.There were very occasional times when I was walking the streets alone and feeling nervous about it all but, thankfully, they were rare moments and after scouring a few places, I found the right flat just in time for Christmas. I haven’t lived in a flat since my 20s so it was all very studenty when I found myself tasked with furnishing a flat from scratch. But I am now very well acquainted with John Lewis, Argos and Mr Price. " 🤣

"If you asked me this time last year would I be living in London, working with Chris Evans on Virgin Radio and writing a weekly column for the Irish Mail on Sunday, I would’ve roared laughing. Not because these aren’t exciting challenges but rather because the suggestion would have been so outlandish as to be laughable."

No. He would have roared laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If he had been asked this time last year about working in London, he'd have said he's more than happy where he is, coining it for 500k in rte, a job where he doesn't have to work too hard.

And why would he want to move to London. He'd have said he is a home bird and that the UK is a basket case since Brexit, and not a patch on good old Ireland.

Another bit I liked "my friends looked at properties for me."

Ryan Everyman Toyman.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And it's written at about the level of a second class pupil in primary school.

His command of English is very poor, imo, especially for someone who allegedly apparently reads so much. 🤔

The guy is wealthy. He’s not going to be living in some dingy apartment or a house share.

Despite that, he is back living in his flat like a student, as he has said several times over the last couple of weeks. All the while trying to conceal his disappointment of where he is having to slum it these days.

The dude owns a house in an exclusive area of Dublin, now lives in an apartment in London with his new partner; has a radio show, newspaper column, and other work.

He’s not exactly some middle-aged bachelor living alone in BallyBrokenDreams thinking about a past that never was.

• Advertisement

Exactly. He now has to live in a flat in London to find work, going to Argos for lamps. All coming up Milhouse.

I’m not sure that’s quite the burn you think it is. Millions of people live in London. It’s a global city. The chap is living in a lovely part of it. It’s not exactly heading home to his childhood bedroom is it? Making small talk with elderly parents before heading up to bed for a Tommy Tank and a cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

More reason for suspecting that after over half a year of radio silence he's probably paying for the slot at Virgin. It would explain why they're not coaching him toward the British audience.

Yeah. It's not the burn for ordinary individuals. But Ryan shouldn't have to schlum it around like a nobody, at the bottom of the ladder, unable to find work in your own country, like the previous Late Late host. It audibale in how he talks about his situation.

I hope it doesn't go all Henry Sellars on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭animalinside

yeah but Tubridy is a lot different to Sellers. Sellers claims to have made the BBC, which is loosely plausible, and he was fired only due to his drinking problem. Sellers could back up his ego and was a kind of loveable character otherwise. Tubridy certainly has the delusion to think that, just saying there's a difference.

A few people have claimed that Tubridy was a scapegoat for the payments scandal but in reality it's actually the other way around - the payments scandal gives him a great "out" for the actual reason which is almost noone here likes him anymore. Then after doing badly in the UK he can have his hard-luck story about how he was top of the world in Ireland but then there was a payments scandal and he got pushed out as a scapegoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Listened to a bit of Anton Savage this morning aka "the man who should have gotten the LLS after Pat Kenny if RTE wasn't a complete jokeshop"

His contributors included Gina London and Fergus Finlay. Fergus was incredulous at the total dreck that Tub's had just shat out for his first column in the MoS. Thought the standard of writing was just abysmal. He did of course, soften the blow by saying Tubs was an accomplished broadcaster and writing wasn't his bag anyway. Yeah, sure Fergus!

Gina London believed the tall tale about sliding door moments in London with Chris Evans was a complete work of fiction. Which is more believable? That NK has been working around the clock to get someone, anyone to take on Tubs at a level that appears, on the surface at least, to be a step up from RTE. In order to get this deal he promised Virgin sponsorships that would cover Tub's wage on week 1.

Or.............Chris Evans saw that Tubs was in a artisan bookshop / café in Mayfair and got on the blower to offer him the 10am daily slot on Virgin.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I loved Fergus' comment to Anton, who was suggesting it was the column that everyone in Ireland wanted to read: "The only reason we read it was because you made us!" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

What new partner? If you're referring to the rose, he's been going out with her for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm regretting reading the link above to the mail column. It almost makese feel sorry for him. He's truly trying to convince himself and the world that everything is a ok.

• Advertisement

Advertisement