Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Im fairness Ambarat is off at the ANC, so from a Utd point of view i wouldn't be complaining about that or using it as an excuse ( probably wouldn't start anyway).

United ( and the fans) knew this was a high possibility when they got him on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What are you talking about? McTominay miss was almost the last attack of the game. 99.9% certain if he scores the game finishes 3-2. If Romero scores that makes it 2-2 and rest of game is completely changed. Sours created next to nothing when they actually equalized. United created one gilt edged chance after the game went 2-2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Would you consider the players Utd had missing to be first team players or good enough to play for Utd , most off them have been laughed off the pitch by Utd fans recently

i am not sure how we are close to our starting 11 given son, kulusevki, Maddison , sarr and bissouma would have played if available, that’s 5 players it could be argued who would be starting, that’s 50% of the outfield players , not quite close to starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Spurs were the better side I think that’s universally accepted.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Both teams had a few players missing - pretty standard at this stage of the season.

Spurs may have had the better of it - but should be thankful for the draw, McTomminay heads that downwards and United would have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That should have been not available rather than injured. Tom is saying Sarr and Bissouma at AFCON and Son at Aisa Cup.

For me Spurs best 11 is

Vicaro, Porto, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Bentacar, Madison, Kulaveski, Son, Richarlson and then one of Sarr or Bissouma.

Uniteds would be

Onana, Wan Bosaka, Martinez, Maguire, Shaw, Casermiro, Ambarat, Bruno, Hojlund, Garnacho. I'd also play Mount as the LW as Rashford has been lazy as sin this season.

So Martinez came on, maguire is a joke to his own fans so I doubt he starts, Casemiro was on the bench, mount doesn’t get a game ahead of rashford- so united weren’t missing that many yet we were missing 50% of our outfield starters.

As I said a draw is a decent result but I suppose unlucky when you factor in Romero hitting the bar and the fact we dominated.

i doubt there’s many United fans with any knowledge of the game that would start Amrabat ahead of Mainoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Martinez and Casemiro are only just coming back from injury, not fit to start yet. And Maguire started the 14 straight games before his groin injury, and was one of their better players in that time, would've been nailed on to start had he been fit.

It's just that time of the season, nearly everyone's missing a load of players.

Maguire did fine in his run of games, but was not great. He made mistakes that weren’t punished, but in future games will be. When everyone is fit and match fit, Martinez and Varane is clearly United’s best centre half partnership.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Both teams had injuries, Spurs slightly edged Utd on overall play, Utd had a fantastic chance to win at the end.

What the **** is everyone arguing about 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think most clubs can claim they’ve had bad luck with injuries, pretty much all teams gunning for champions league spots have had spells with multiple players out for prolonged periods in key positions. Come seasons end think everyone can strike that off as an excuse for under performance as everyone’s been in the same boat.

Sure, but Martinez also wasn't fit to start. I was just replying to the thing saying Maguire was "a joke" so wouldn't have been starting tonight if he was fit, when he definitely would given the other absenses.

5 outta 10 is 😂😉

The game is played with 11 players not 10.

What is your strongest Spurs 11 so we can see who I was missing?

As I said earlier the strongest 11 for me is

Vicaro, Porro, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Bentacar, Madison, Kulaveski, Son, Richarlson and then one of Sarr or Bissouma.

So out of up the strongest 11 your missing Son, Kulaveski, Madison and one of Sarr or Bissouma. That's four by my count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Most would agree the players Spurs were missing are significant. Players Man U we’re missing have been very poor for most part anyway so negligible impact. Even the Man U legend Gary Neville said as much on TV

So I said we were missing 5 OUTFIELD players.

Thats the lads not minding the net 😉 (joking).

I agree with the team you select but Sarr would get 45 mins- maybe a little less so is an extremely important player to come off the bench.

Hence 5 OUTFIELD players missing so 5 outta 10 hence 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Werner had so much space in this game, make one change with Son and he could have had a field day. Entertaining game but what should be taken from it is there is no reason why Villa cannot make the top 4/5.

Everyone always slags United's players and they're usually the first ones have that they're not good enough said about them.

Plenty of them are very good players but some have **** attitudes, some have no confidence and some just don't suit the system.

The biggest issue at United is they don't have a proper recruitment structure in place. They let the manager have who he wants, they sack him and then the next guy gets who he wants but no one considers that they should be buying the players to suit a system and pick a manager that can adapt to that system.

Fair enough.

Bentacar is your best player and if you can keep him fit then you'll be pushing up the table.

Yup, Villa really in with a great shout of Champions League ball at this stage. They've had top 4 form for over a year now at this stage, so they're no flash in the pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Ornstein reporting it's forest and Everton who are in ffp trouble tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can Everton get another points deduction? Not surprised that Forest have broken the PSR rules either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And City laugh their way to a court case in maybe 2025. **** farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Still waiting on their appeal to be heard for the first charge. How can you be charged for two different seasons in the one season

But Everton and Forest’s audited accounts will show they have breached the rules (presumably). I would guess their mitigation arguments are weak, like Everton’s was for the last deduction.

City is completely and utterly different. Their audited accounts show they have NOT breached FFP. The argument is they have inflated their income. Which they undoubtedly have by selling sponsorship deals to their owners (or entities related to their owners) at hugely inflated amounts. But that is far more difficult to prove than Everton or Forest, where their own accounts incriminate them.

• Advertisement

Two different reporting periods, but it shouldn't really make a difference when you break the rules, in multiple years.

But yeah, it might just be that the PL are really starting to clamp down on it now and 'only got around' to period X in 2023 and now are starting X+1 in 2024 and will be on top of it now with one period per year moving forwards. Possibly pre-occupied with Man City's 114 extra charges on top of these clubs 1.

Would Everton prefer to start next season with -10 instead, be it the PL or the Championship?

Absolutely agree with that I think he’s a great player, but as you say hopefully we can keep him fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Very good example of stats not being able to convey the full story there.

Ronaldo played a good chunk of those games as a wide-right midfielder with a 2 man midfield beside him. Not the position that Salah plays, where he has a 3-man midfield and a center forward who drops deep so he is pushed inside from a wide position to be often the player who gets on the end of chance.

Ronaldo was a more traditional wideman / winger in his early days. It was later on that he became the main man/goalscorer as he developed. He joined the league at 18. Salah joined pool at 25. Ronaldo a boy developed into the best player in the world. Salah already a man who thrived at the correct environment, but never became the world's best. The stats were never going to tell the story.

After the World Cup in 2006 and until he left for Real Madrid in 2009 Ronaldo was near untouchable.

There have been 2 times in my life watching PL football where I felt the player I was watching on the pitch wasn't even from the same planet as everyone else in the league. Not just that he was clearly the best player, it's more than that. At times it didn't even look like the players around them were top-level footballers. It's not just scoring goals but in general play - what they were doing with the ball. The fear they struck into opponents. The sense of anticipation when they got on the ball - unmatched.

Those 2 are Henry and Ronaldo.

I've never seen another on that level. Suarez would be a little bit off but was close, maybe another season would have seen him get to that level as well.

Salah will have better seasons when you look through the Wiki stats no doubt but on the pitch, he's never quite got to that level. That's not a bad thing or a slight on Salah.

It's something that doesn't quite come across in the stats, instead it's something you see on the pitch with your own eyes.

Salah is a great goalscorer, he'll go down as a PL great. His records will show for the rest of (our) time. But... he's just not on Ronaldo's level. But that's true of everyone apart from Henry in the PL era.

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

Definitely start next season with a -10 IMO. A -10 now puts them bottom of the league on 7 points with 21 games played, 9 points behind Luton(who have played 20) with 17 games for Everton to play. Luton has started picking up the odd point as well.

If Luton got a win in their game in hand then suddenly Everton has to overturn 12 points in 17 games instead of getting 10 more points than the 3rd worst next season over 38 games. Over the season Everton haven't actually been too bad. They should back themselves to get a ~50 point season next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Reports now Evertons original appeal might not be heard until May 24th 5 days after the league finishes. We could possibly finish the league and not know who's relegated.

• Advertisement

What are they actually appealing against? Is it the severity of the punishment, or the actual charge?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think that the main arguments that they are using is that the new stadium costs (which are actually excluded from FFP calculations) escalated, sponsorship money fell through because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and that Sigurdsson cost them money too because he was a player on their books that could not play.

Clubs are 'allowed' a £105m loss over a 3 year period. Clubs shouldn't be losing money, let alone losing £105m. Everton lost £300m in that one reporting period through wild spending and wages etc Some of that was written off because of the COVID pandemic and the new total of £125m loss was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hears something a few weeks ago about the forest problem.

They sold Brandon Johnson to meet thiir FFP obligations. There weew delays and brinkmanship over his fee, but he was sold and they eventually got a good price for him that would have cleared their problem. However, with the xfer dealing the FFP deadline was missed by a day or 2,and now they are in trouble. If the dates aligned slightly differently, they were sound. I dunno itld it's a strong enough grounds for appeal, but that was what was being said anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Plus the PL told them on every transfer that they were in trouble for FFP and Everton completely ignored them. Hence the PL telling the committee they wanted the book thrown at them.

If that's true I don't know why they are whinging.

Throw the book at them, and set a precedent for bigger cheats in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

My understang for that the past few years they had to get approval from PL before any purchase, certainly that is what was said by club sources..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, I'm surprised to see that.

Ronaldo didn't become godlike for me until his Madrid days, wouldn't even have said it was an argument that Salah would deserve a place in a PL XI over him.

Trying to understand the mental gymnastics that keep Suarez out but put Ronaldo in tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ange doing a hell of a job, I haven't watched much of Spurs this season but they play excellent technical football. You can see the players know exactly what to do, big difference to the previous managers they have had since Poch.

What mental gymnastics?

Why would you add in Suarez, how do you argue he reached the same level as those 2? Like I said he's close, he's the next closest most likely but ultimately he fell short. I think if he had stayed another season and pulled Liverpool to a title/success in Europe then he'd be in for sure. He had elements of what I described with Henry and Ronaldo but lacked their success.

I think Ronaldo is getting a bit of revisionism because he was so unbelievable at Real Madrid. It's like the fact he went onto another level makes people think what he did in the PL was somehow less.

I wouldn't have an issue with anyone who wants to add Salah into their PL XI. I just think the 2 nailed-on names are Ronaldo and Henry. They are the best to ever do it in my eyes. If I see all time PL XIs without them I really struggle to see how that can be justified.

The Ronaldo/Suarez one is a fairly easy comparison, very similar profiles in their best PL years. Think we can probably all agree that Ronaldo had 3 particularly high level seasons - the ones where he got into double-digits in premier league goals. In those combined 3 elite seasons, he has just 1 more goal than Suarez in his 3 seasons before he left (66 to 65). And Suarez has 12 more assists than Ronaldo in that time.

And on your earlier point of the "eye test", with Ronaldo looking so otherworldly compared to other players you watched - I think this is something based on fandom to a reasonable extent, not so much in terms of bias but, as fans, the only players for whom we watch 95-100% of their minutes are our own. As you say yourself, the 'eye test' is not just about the highlights, it's everything in every game, which of course fans actually watching every minute are a better judge of. Both players were just head and shoulders above everyone around them, and were doing astonishing things all over the pitch, far and above just scoring goals. Suarez was obviously in a less dominant team at the time too.

For me, Ronaldo and Suarez are neck-and-neck for inclusion, but imo both miss out because of their top tier impacts on the league just being a shorter time span than other players.

Henry is on a whole other level in league contribution to these two (and basically everyone) - Ronaldo has only 1 season with over 20 league goals, while Suarez has 2. Henry has 5 (plus 2 more with 17).

This.

I keep hearing "what about city?!"

City are effectively been charged with fraud leading to breaching the rules, the others have submitted clean accounts and shown they have made losses. City's case is far more complex and wide ranging.

Absolutely fair and I will freely admit I watched more of Ronaldo than I did Suarez for full games. I have seen enough of Suarez especially as Pool got into the title races (and they were often on TV at different times to Utd ) but obviously, I watch Utd every week for full games.

I suppose the thing I would add to the Ronaldo / Henry side of things is at the time when both of those players were at their peak (PL peak for Ronaldo) They were the best players on the planet and it was clear (I know Nedved won the ballon d'or but Henry was above everyone else at that time).

Often we have players in the PL who are amazing players but you look at Spain or used to be Italy and you'd know there was a better player playing. For them that wasn't the case.

I would actually enjoy watching CL games on ITV for Arsenal when Henry was at his peak - I wouldn't be wishing them success but I knew what I was watching was a level above what I had seen from other players before.

The danger of making exceptions that are not in the rule book is that it can have a cascading effect. You gave them 2 days leeway, so please give us 4 days. And then someone would look for 6 or 8, etc. Where do you draw the line? You should draw it as outlined in the rule book, end of story.

I am open to correction on this, but my understanding is that every premier league club has to use 30 June as their financial year-end. The Brennan Johnson deal was done on 1 September 2023. So that’s about 60 days ‘late’ for their 2023 accounts, which hardly qualifies as a close run thing anyway.

Totally agree on Henry - he's on a completely different level to the other two, and should be an absolute guarantee on anyone's PL list. 5 straight seasons breaking 20 league goals, 7 straight of 17+ league goals, and looking otherworldly while doing it. A total class apart and a face that defines the premier league. Him and Shearer (7 seasons of 20+ goals!) are absolutely nailed on imo.

That's the bar I'd be looking for in a list to represent the league... lads who did it year in year out in the PL at the top level for a sustained period. Suarez breaking 20 goals twice, and Ronaldo breaking it once just isn't enough for me, outstanding as each of them looked for one season in particular.

I would put both high up on any list of "all time best PL seasons" though.

Shearer, Henry, Salah thats the all time front 3. Its whataboutery talking about Suarez and Ronaldo, they don't have the longevity in the league like the others. You can only go on what you saw and they did.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement