Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

LaRochelle currently beating Leicester 28-7. Assuming it remains 5-0, that'd put ROG's men 4th, ahead of Sale on 7 points.

LaRochelle then go to Sale. So as long as that isn't a draw, either Sale or LaRochelle will likely go to 10+ points.

Stormers, meanwhile, will play a (possibly dissinterested?) Stade Francais, where you could seem them possibly getting at least some BPs.

tl:dr - Leicester risk slipping to 4th if they don't get something against Leinster. So they'll presumably be well up for it.

Exciting final weekend, for sure.

Although Skelton just got sent to the sin bin, so prepare to disregard most if not all of this....

Aaaaand Danty could well be heading for an early shower here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Honestly don't think there was much in that tackle - looked bad in real time due to the force involved, but on replay... Rode up a little, so penalty but I'm not sure I agree with a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭StormForce13

40 - 7 now. Either Tigers are appalling (which they are) or LaR are sensational (which they are).

Unless Sale can eliminate LaR next weekend, they could still win the bloody thing again!

Edit: Make that 45 - 7. And 5 minutes to go.

• Advertisement

For me, yellow was fair. But I agree it looked a lot less serious on the replays (which I saw after I had posted the above).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretty sure Berjon thought the 5m line was the tryline there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

My god Pollard had a shocker of a cameo today - he was awful - couldn't do a single thing right. But the Tigers now have to go fully loaded versus Les Blues as previous posters said as they could mathematically end up 4th in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I stand by this comment. Winning at the Marcel-Deflendre is one of Leinster's greatest ever victories. It's just so hard to win there. La Rochelle completely obliterated Leicester this afternoon. Won all the major collisions in attack and defence and even dominated the period they were down to 13 men.

The try they scored just before half time was incredible. It was like watching a team of adults bullying a team of schoolchildren. Power, pace, accuracy, had it all.

• Advertisement

I agree with this - but I also think it’s the only time this season I’ve really seen Leinster reach that level.

Too often going through the motions and attack just not clicking at all. No continuity at 10 (and likely to continue until Ross is healthy again), and a game still littered with errors in a way we haven’t been before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Well I suppose that if they are surplus to requirements at Leinster they could always just give up rugby rather than move to Munster......FFS .......

What does it matter where a player originates? It's where they end up and to what level they reach. Sometime this place if like an effing kindergarten. How many times do we have to read... 'Wah wah...look at all our not so good players going elsewhere. Isn't it shocking that they can't produce their own. Much better that those players go on the dole...Eh!" Grow the feck up is my advice. It's not the School's Cup...it's a professional business.

Nonsense post. Some players leaving don't really move the needle but guys like Carbery and Conway were first team players that no Leinster supporters wanted to see leave. And some of the names linked (Frawley, Milne) at the moment are far from surplus to requirements. Easy for supporters of other provinces to say stuff like this when they're the beneficiaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Aye aye. Agreed. Some quality players rumored to leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Conway left Leinster over a decade ago. Carbery over 5 years ago.

I absolutely understand why Leinster fans are aggrieved when it happens, but imo, the vast majority of players that leave Leinster, or even those furthest up the depth that that are touted to leave (e.g. the likes of Deegan and Frawley) - I'm not convinced their loss would make an appreciable difference to Leinster.

Frawley is a perfectly good example of not "moving the needle" like you suggest. He's spent the last 2 Champions Cup finals on the bench without getting a single minute. Someone mentioned on another thread that Deegan has played 91 mins of Champions Cup rugby in the last 3 seasons, including this one.

Scott Penny is another, who has 94 Champions Cup minutes in his entire Leinster career. And they're the guys furthest up the depth chart.

Like as I asked previously, if they are to leave Leinster, would you rather they went abroad or stayed in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Not surplus to requirements from the coaches POV as they are there to be used as needed, but surplus to requirements from the players pov, and arguably from Irelands. We have players who are potentially very high level not getting much CC game time in Leinster and therefore not developing at the rate they might otherwise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That Stade Français team yesterday all have at least 80 minutes of CC rugby. It's pretty meaningless a lot of the time.

It is for Stade, and say, Gloucester last season. But the bigger point is the Irish teams have generally always prioritised Europe more than some of their English and French counterparts. So the minutes played for the provinces is far more indicative of their relative place in the depth chart.

I think Deegan's, Penny's and Frawley's minutes in Europe is representative of their importance to Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster just need a single point from next weekends game to ensure they finish top of their pool.

Could still top it with no points provided we don't let Leicester hammer us and Stormers don't batter Stade.

Another away win against a tough opponent would be so much better for morale though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Currently seeding has us playing la Rochelle in the last 16 and makes it likely we travel to Toulouse or Bordeaux in a potential semi final, looks like we'll be doing it the hard way this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If we get five points next weekend, there is a very strong chance we get second seed. Even with four points we might just do it, because of other fixtures.

Need to go full strength next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A top 2 spot really needs to be the aim here and I'm sure Cullen is fully aware of the permutations.

Right now, that is out of our hands as we are the lowest ranked of the pool leaders. However, some tough final fixtures could see that change. Toulouse are more than likely going to top proceedings on 19/20 points as they host Bath (also on 15 so one of them will be on 19). Bordeaux are currently on 15. A win in Pretoria gives them 19 with a healthy PD which makes them uncatchable for us, in reality. Hopefully the Bulls do us a favour and get a win but them resting their 4 current Bok players isn't helping. A lot will depend on what team Bordeaux send down there. They've a 7 day turnaround to play Stade Francais at home so may wish to focus on that. If they lost though, Lyon could pip them to top spot still.

I'll work on the basis that Northampton don't get a win in Thomond. They've played above themselves but they also owe their position to being in a fairly weak pool; I don't see them troubling the latter stages of the tournament.

Top two spot means home games all the way to the final, if Leinster are able to get there. I wouldn't fancy Leinster to win right now if they had to go away to Toulouse or Bordeaux.

Have to beat Leicester first and foremost. Their attack is very poor but, for the first 30 minutes anyway, they were actually going fairly well particularly up front. I'd imagine they'll be looking for a response next week particularly in front of their own support. See the likes of Ulster earlier this season against Racing after being thumped. Leicester are good at home....have now beaten Saracens, Bath and the Stormers in their last games. Leinster should still have too much for them though particularly if their launch plays go so well again (and we saw that Leicester are vulnerable to those in Dublin last season).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The point is though that those players have huge minutes in the URC over the last number of seasons - Take them away and then take away the dozen or more internationals and Leinster start to struggle to win those URC games.

So yes , they make a significant difference to the squad overall - It's disingenuous to say "well they haven't played many European games so they aren't important" or whatever.

I didn't say "aren't important" so I fail to see how my point is disingenuous. But their level of importance is relative.

I'm not convinced it'd make an appreciable difference if, say, Frawley and Deegan left. I'd still expect to see Leinster topping their pool. Just like they continued to do after Carbery left.

You can't just keep ripping out important depth pieces though and claim it has no impact.

Frawley has played more minutes than anyone for Leinster this season - he's featured in every single game. He covered full back while Keenan was still coming back from the RWC, stepped in and covered 10 for multiple games (incl off the bench) and had a really good game at 12 on Stephens' Day down in Thomond. To say he's not been an important part of Leinster's success this season just doesn't make sense.

Similarly - Deegan has played in 7 out of 9 URC games, starting 6, and has scored 4 tries.

Munster have struggled this season because the depth isn't there - as soon as a few injuries occur (which can happen), they were forced into significant rejigs and playing players out of their best position etc. Leinster haven't suffered like that because of the quality squad depth guys like Deegan provide. He's the sort of player who I think if he was in the 15/23 next week in an important European game not one single Leinster fan would have doubts about his ability to deliver.

You can't argue guys like that aren't crucial parts of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

But again, I didn't say "no impact". Nor that he hasn't been important to Leinster.

I don't think it would have an appreciable impact. Suggesting they are crucial to Leinster is very much overstating it, imo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I don't think it's fair to say losing a guy, for example, who has been ever present this season, is in Leinster's first choice 23 and has played the most minutes of any player, would count as "no appreciable impact".

Tbh, I'd still expect Leinster to top their pool without Frawley.

Someone like Porter is far more in the "crucial" territory, not Frawley.

The larger point with regard the Ireland context is, for example, is it getting the most from Penny when nearly 40% of his minutes last season were against the bottom 5 URC teams?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its absolutely obvious that those players gone from leinster would make an appreciatable impact.

Again ill point you to the fact that Deegan played every single minute of leinsters final 8 rounds of last years URC. Every single one of those 640 minutes.

Doris played 67 of those. Conan played 124. Both obviously being minded by the IRFU for the RWC.

Deegan isnt there who do we play? Penny was playing those games at 7. Ruddock was playing at 6 until a hamstring injury ended his season.

LP above has already laid out how important Frawley has been to Leinster this season. Ross and harry byrne have spent a significant time out already this season with injury and Sam Prendergast is literally a baby at this level.

Both of those players are incredibly important senior players in the squad and to suggest that it would make no 'appreciable difference' if they weren't there is simply wrong. I dont expect to change your opinion on this, but id suggest you arent coming at the issue with an open viewpoint (munter suffer injuries to their first 23, their squad appears to be very callow). While leinster have a strong squad, its strength comes from the shared minutes among the squad and the ability to give minutes to young players mixed in with senior players.

Advertisement