Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Re-Turn logo there along with a Dutch Statiegeld and a Norwegian Pant logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Thank you Mr Moderator. i'm happy to finally see what the logo looks like on an actual can.

Just noticed how many other logo's is on it too. i'm hoping the machine doesnt try to look for a logo and only goes by the barcode lol but then again maybe the barcodes are different. idk. i just wanna cheat the machine somehow. i have like 2 spare cans without any logo and maybe like 10 bottles somewhere clean in a bag

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

The barcodes will be different on cans with it than the equivalents without.

(I don't mod Current Affairs, as an aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

From what I understand from reading on a couple of sites it seems that from Feb 1st we have to use those RVM machines instead of putting cans and bottles instead of the recycling bin? Am I right about that?

Absolutely ridiculous if so. I recycle everything- and it’s properly done - not like in work for instance where no one washes out tins etc before putting them in the recycling, and contaminating everything.

You can keep using your recycling bin, but you won't get any deposits paid back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No you can still throw stuff in the recycle bin I gather - it'll just cost you more as you won't get the "refund" and your provider is unlikely to reduce the cost either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

To stop speculation earlier in the thread, from today's indo:

However, online shoppers at all retailers won’t be able to return their empties to their grocery delivery driver.

“If you’re storing empty cans and bottles out the back with a dog or cat and a delivery driver took them back with fresh food in the van, there’s a risk of contamination,” Honer (Tesco's operations manager) said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So why don't the bin companies then provide a bin just for these tins and bottles? Let them be separated from the rest of the recycling but collected at same time.

RVMs are a good idea in themselves but the method of integrating them into the current system is badly thought out and will entail blowback from the public. We have idiots/ technocrats in charge.

Yep and more than likely your bin charges will rise too as the contents of the recycling bin will be less valuable..

They could if they wanted to, but I'm fairly certain they don't

RVMs are used in multiple other places, we didn't invent this system. It's basically a copy/paste of the Dutch or Danish setups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for that, the risk of contamination by mixing manky returns and fresh produce was always going to be a problem.

It will be difficult for elderly or people with impaired mobility.

Seems like they are leaving the door open though.

If some other retailer can come up with a system to collect the returns they could steal a bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you save your cans and bottles and take a photo of the QR and sellotape it on, I’m sure it will work. Probably not worth the effort tho.

Problem is, cheating the machine would be theft or fraud because there’s money involved. The penalties would likely be too severe for people to ever chance anything. I have not seen many (any) workarounds online for machines in other countries.

Bit of buzzkill answer.

Costs will likely go up in general if anything and not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's pretty much certain alright.

I still find it amazing how short some people's memories are on all this stuff.

You only need to look at the last time the Greens were in government here... Likewise propping up a coalition Government and pushing ideological nonsense through environmental scaremongering while the country fell apart around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

They could always have a separate pickup but I don't see how they could make it work financially.

For me it wasn't just the problem of cross contamination, there is also the delay in deliveries down the line. A delivery guy has a 9am drop off and is handed back 10 items, he had to check through those items for the logo and ensure they are entact, then store them in the van separate to deliveries (which means they current vans would have to be upgraded). Sounds quick but if 3 of those items don't qualify for return he's got to deal with the customer about it. If that happens a few times per day then than has a knock-on effect for the later deliveries. I could just never see it being viable.

My brother is a delivery driver, they work to very tight schedules.

In the Netherlands, you can drop off a bag and later on get the money EFTed for what inside it scanned in. The issue with that is it will inevitably cause people complaining about discrepancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just to clarify one thing. Im sure the Greens were happy to bring this in, but this is a solution to a piece of European legislation. The 90% target came out of the Single Use Plastics directive and Waste Management Directives. No one has yet found a way other than DRS to achieve that high a recycling rate without a return system. In fact, the fact that people are failing to find another way is why the next Eu packaging legislation pretty makes DRS mandatory across Europe by 2029.

Not a fan of the greens in Ireland, but this would have come in anyway. It'l be in in the UK by 2026 even without the Eu piece (UK draft legislation currently says 25 but they wont make that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’d take a discrepancy over all the queing - I wonder is it a third party doing that over there.

That insight into the routine of a delivery driver is useful.

Tesco clearly don't want the extra time for the drop or the trouble of sorting the returns back at the shop.

Maybe adapting the model in @L1011 's post could provide a solution for local Super Values and suchlike.

If the driver had a supply of clear plastic bags and the customer put the recyclables into them and sealed the bag the driver wouldn't have to touch them.

The bags could be carried in the cab away from deliveries.

Well the bin companies could.. if they were told to.

Whoever thunk up this, should have paused for a moment and said 'hold on, how do we operate this RVM scheme, without disrupting/ discommoding the existing system?'

But no, we are led by donkeys and technocrats.

• Advertisement

So you want a 4th and 5th bin and think 90% of people/households would comply. You also want to either increase the collection rate by 66% or 50% or ask the companies to completely redesign their trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

OMG I LOVE THAT IDEA!! i'm a noob and wouldnt know the first to how to go about doing that, but i was thinking of a different thing which takes advantage of people assuming and being too lazy to check. Opt for manual inspection of the cans AKA bringing them up to the counter (as some shops allow to do it this way) and sneak in 1 or 2 old cans amoung a bunch of new cans that have the logo, when the person at the till checks/inspects the tins, keep ur 2 random ones well hidden in the bunch, hopefully they will assume all of the cans has the logo and will just count them fast lol.

or maybe if a re-turn tin gets damaged, cut off the logo and stick it onto a regular non-logo tin XD

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Hey, I didn't design this new RVM scheme! It's up to those who design such a scheme to integrate it seamlessly into the existing recycling system. They haven't shown any signs of this and doubtless will say like you, that it's impossible. But of course it's possible if they accept there's a problem and set about fixing it.

I've no problem at all with RVMs as an additional helpful facility to reduce litter. But and this is critical, it shouldn't disrupt/ discommode the many citizens who use the existing system happily.

A scheme designed by donkeys and technocrats, who haven't considered the many different circumstances of citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭babyducklings1

There’s no onus on them to design a scheme that integrates seemlessly.

Waste collectors were part of the consultation phase and the committee decided there solution, if any, would not achieve the desired outcome.

There’s nothing to suggest this has been designed by donkeys.

Theres people on one side claiming this inconvenience is going to be hugely disruptive with mount a shred of evidence to support that. No data based argument has been put forward by anyone for this. On the other hand there’s people (well maybe one on this thread) claiming there is no inconvenience and people won’t be out of pocket. It is inconvenient and not every container is gonna make it to the RVM despite your best efforts. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

If kerbside could work, how?

If there is a deposit how could you get it back by putting the cans in a bin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

The guys implementing this Scheme didnt have much design input as its pretty much a cut n paste of schemes in other countries. In any case they dont care because with the financial incentive to use the scheme they know the scheme's success is reasonably certain as the heavy lifting will be done by Joe Public scrabbling to get their few cents back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Kinda ironic that you ask me not to misdirect readers and then proceed to do exactly that yourself

Please don’t misdirect readers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In some countries you can place your recycling in your collection bin and the bin company gets the deposit.

No reason why a bin company here can't give you separate bins for cans and plastic bottles and credit your account with a portion of the deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Have you anything to add to the thread or just going to continue your blind defence of the scheme?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement