Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bolton won't get a call up because he has played less than 10 professional games, not because he's a Connacht player. For what it's worth I think he's very much Farrell's type and is very likely to be on his radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Disappointment in the end. Was hard to see what was going wrong with the Connacht scrum in the first half but they were continually being pinged. As for the Jack and JJ selection, why would you not start Jennings. It was said before the game that the selections are simply puzzling and more to the point they tend to work out exactly as we might expect.

On other matters the French fans are good fun. Shouting 'allez les garcons Connacht' brought a good laugh from the locals😂

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

More disappointed in the connacht result after the munster game as they did what we couldn't by sticking in there when toulon were on top and keeping the score down then taking their chances when they came.

Selection issues have to get sorted out. Bristol next week is a real chance to ring the changes and see what we might potentially have as compared to what we already know we have. Losing to Bristol would not be a disaster if we learn something from the game. Team selection today ensured little was learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Pack selection seems reasonably consistent with a fairly clear idea of a pecking order. Backs on the other hand looks like it's been picked from a hat each week.

I also think our attack is seriously inadequate.

Big games coming after Bristol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

You complain there’s no consistency in selection and now you’re calling for us to ring the changes?

I'm saying consistent selection based on performance. Where the performance of the player is sub par then when you have a game like the Bristol game it is time to try something new. I don't see any benefit of us taking 5th position in the table and going into the challenge cup without at least having learnt something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Connacht are done for the champions cup. I'd experiment v Bristol. Hawkshaw at 15. Jennings 13. Illo to start and MacDonald to retain his Jersey.

There are things to be learnt but then why would you start Jennings outside the full back position where he has shown huge potential and where we have a current vacancy (JJ is certainly not the answer) and where Hawkshaw has not had any relevant game time.

And why is that Tom Farrell seems to be replaced at the earliest possible moment at centre. Did things improve when Hawkshaw replaced him. Absolutely not. In fact it went downhill after Tom being replaced. It's these type of crazy decisions that are killing this team.

And it's so clear that Jack is simply not performing. So to replace him with Cathal Forde is hardly going to undermine the team and could potentially provide the exact opposite.

As for the pack, well the question has to be asked as to how it completely fell apart in the first half. As I had said Dave Heff had played well against Munster only to be dropped from the 23. And Denis was left on the bench when he should have started. And then Darragh Murray in second row with Niall dropped. And Butler is just not cutting it in the back row but gets selected.

You put all these selection decisions together and honestly what do you expect.

Thankfully we decided to go to Lyon for the pastries and the tour of the city as well as the game. The game turned out as expected but Lyon has exceeded expectations. Lovely town, nice people, totally relaxed and a great place to spend a week. Not sure about French wine. It's a bit too fruity for my taste. That's my only negative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Niall Murray is a mystery. Fantastic line out operator. At this stage you'd wonder what Wilkins is thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

He has seemed to fall out of favour with the current ticket. He had the most lineout steals by a distance last season in the URC and was a consistently performing well. His brother is a big unit and is possibly doing well in training. Joyce is a good player and has had some excellent performances this season. Dowling has really upped a gear in the last year too and can rotate into the backrow if needed. Lots of competition now and with Thornbury back it will get more difficult. Great complaint to have really.

Not a great complaint if players are not picked on ability. It all goes back to what Borders has said. You pick poorly, they play poorly

But honestly this has gone too far. Wilkins is a waste of space. To say he was disappointed after selecting a crap selection and then losing the game is just rich. It breaks the hearts of the fans and of the team. And let there be no doubt that the team know the best 23

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Lot of hyperbole in here.

We lost in France without any of our Irish internationals, that's not a selection decision beyond having prioritised their minutes for urc fixtures, which I agree with.

With no recognised first team fb we've been experimenting with two outhalfs, which I think has shown mixed results.

We're the weakest team in our hc group and it looks like we'll finish bottom, that is regrettable but not totally unexpected. We can always hope and strive for better, but it's very difficult to compete against teams with bigger budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bordeaux absolutely battered Saracens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Our attack is suffering because our back three stocks have been decimated. Cordero, Hansen, Kilgallen all out long term. TOH has been injured. Porch has missed games. Ralston suspended. No threat in our back three at the moment at all apart from maybe Bolton when we can manage to get him some ball. JJ playing 15 where he’s zero threat to run shows how stuck they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

We must strive for better but based on everything we've seen to date I think it's fair to ask questions as to where this team is going and what is going on with the selection decisions made by management.

Talk of budget is self defeating. We know what we have and we know we are up against it but we need to try and make best use of our resources and to me we aren't at present.

The lack of a full back is down to Wilkins. He's been involved in the decision making as to the squad we have. He has a large number of back 3 players in the squad many of which he doesn't seem to trust.

The thing with prioritising minutes is only Bundee is restricted in terms of minutes by outside influences. Bealhams absence seemed to be based on tiredness for whatever reason. Other players were left at home for a must win game that didn't need to be. The next URC game is 5 weeks away and even after that the games are spaced out. Also its been 12 days between this game and Munster so not sure why we aren't trying to give this competition a proper go. We battled damn hard to get into this competition and we have written it off too easily for me.

Bordeaux/Begles and Saracens were on a different level but Lyon were vulnerable yesterday. These games are our showcase for the club to a wider audience and we've shown to anyone watching that we are a team going nowhere in a hurry.

Having heard Wilkins interview I'm even more baffled by his thinking. When questioned about Bundees absence he said that this was the game to rest him as regardless of circumstances the home game against Bristol was a big one for us. Yesterday was way more important than Bristol as it was our last chance to progrss in this competition. I'd rather have him in the away game in france than what is a much less important home game. If Bristol had won yesterday next Friday would have been totally meaningless.

I still want us to give it a go against Bristol. The Challenge Cup is a different kettle of fish. Lets try get ourselves in there and see how the draw plays out. Its more money in the bank at least. Easy use the squad if it's not priority when last 16 comes around but no point throwing it out the window without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Bundee decision is even stranger when you have Forde possibly back next week.

Bealhams absence down to tiredness. I think that sums it up nicely and simply says all that is needed to be said. As a fan I am tired week in and week out with these selections. It must be twice as hard being a player

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Surely they wouldn't have made this decision of that was the case? That would be seriously shooting themselves in the foot.

I'd like to hear Rob Murphy or someone else with access ask for an explanation about Niall Murray lack of starts And where was Hurley Langton last weekend?

• Advertisement

So this would be my team and replacements for the Bristol game and many will note the two players missing

TOH

Smith

Farrell,

Aki,

Bolton

Forde (if available)

McDonald/Devine 

Buckley

Heff

Bealham

Dowling

Joyce

Prendergast

Hurley Langton

Jansen

and then subs

Dooley

DTM

Aungier,

Niall Murray

Devine/McDonald 

Hawkshaw

Oliver

Three, really, seeing as you'd drop JJ as well as Carty and Blade.

You want Forde to take the kicks? JJ has had a good conversion rate.

JJs exits are shocking. Caolin whines instead of just getting on with the game

Yes, JJs exits are poor. I'm surprised they didn't make any use of Tom Daly for kicking out of the hands, he has a big boot on him. Still, don't think I've seen enough of Forde to want him to be shooting on goal for us, so there's an issue of we don't have JJ on the pitch.

Elsewhere, lot of missed tackles on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Connacht 8/15 favs for Fridays game at moment, which is surprising considering our recent loses bar the munster result, I would expect or strongest team possible out though with no Game for 5 weeks after.

Need a min of win with bonus point to get in challenge cup. And hope bristol get zero points, big ask IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I want to know some issues. If anyone (very kindly) will give any answers, I would appreciate you from the heart. 1.Why Connacht changed Jansen (who didn't look get injury) to (light-class) Oliver? 2.Why Connacht didn't use Devine at more early time.(McDonald looked a middle lebel SH in Ireland) 3.Why Connacht don't try the pair by N.Murray and Thornbury who worked very impressive last season(especially stealing and charging down and field running) 4.Why Aki didn't attend the game. ( was he too busy many events?) 5.Is Carty will be gotten many teammates despite of such big mistakes (at first 5min. he kicked no touch penalty and then Knocked-on for opponent return kickking. And at 2nd half He failed to kick for passing to Smith. It looked so easy for veteran OH. 6.Why Connacht select a PG when the chance came 4th try in front of opppnent gall at 4th quarter? Then Hanrahan added 3 points and the margin went to 20-27 but Connacht missed any chance to get 4th try. Who selected that PG decision? (Then the game time has remained enough.) At last, Hanrahan was easily overtaked by opponent player and gave Lyon's last try. I watched that he did the same defending mistake at his Munster era. I think that it's caused slow reactionand the lack of speed.

I'm sorry my poor English.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I'm sorry to post in a row. In the above (my question), about no.4, I got the answer at Connacht HP.(according to IRFU guidline) And about no.5, I want to correct「 gotten」→「gotten any confidence from」.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

1. Jansen substitution

There's very little point in making all three back rows play 80 mins. One of the three was always going to be replaced my a fresh man.

Also, Jansen defended really badly for the try on 51 mins that gave Lyon control of the second half. He bought a dummy at pillar when he should never have left his defensive role. Lyon would probably have scored anyway but you need to make them pass it.

2. Matthew Devine

It was Devine's first ever professional start. He's got lots of promise but he was an emergency sub who got a few minutes at the end. It's great to see him finally get on the pitch but there was no point in risking a young academy guy getting overwhelmed by an enormous French team on debut. He's not even a full member of the professional squad yet.

I thout McDonald did reasonably well. He picked the wrong option a few times but did pretty well given his inexperience too.

3. Thornbury and Niall Murray

I'm not sure about Thornbury. He's just back from a year out injured so his body may have taken a beating over the Christmas fixtures. It does take a while to build match resilience.

Unfortunately for Niall Murray the coaching team seem to want power and size in the starting pack. It's not obvious from a distance but Niall is a far lighter guy than Darragh. Darragh could potentially add another 10Kg with good conditioning over a couple of seasons. Right now Niall seems to be an impact substitute.

4. Bundee

As you noted above Bundee is IRFU minutes managed. He's played 80 minutes in our last four games so I guess we'll see 50-60 minutes of him against Bristol. This was probably pre-agreed with the Ireland coaching team. He could end up playing 300+ minutes in the Six Nations.

5. Carty

That compounded error was a very Carty thing to do. I don't join in some of the harsh criticism of him you see online, but simple concentration errors like this kill us sometimes.

If it's the crossfield kick I remember, he'll be disappointed not to execute it but I think it was off his weaker foot while slightly off balance, and we had a penalty advantage. He did have lots of space to kick into but that's not what you expect on the turn.

6. The Penalty

I think this was brain-dead too. Realistically we needed a bonus point win to progress in the Champions Cup. Kicking the penalty changed this from a two score objective to a three score objective. The players might have thought that a draw was worth bringing into play. I didn't agree.

7. Hanrahan's pace

I agree. I don't think either of Carty or Hanrahan have enough pace to play as a 10 / 15 combination unless we're forced to. In this case we probably were but I'm not sure if the coaches have done enough to get extra back three options with pace into the game squad.

His kick distance from hand is also a concern when he covers full-back. At least Carty can punt the ball 50+ metres down the field consistently.

Post edited by conncussed on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Seeing a lot of rumours and announcements for the other provinces ins and outs For next season lately, just wondering what people think is needed and who would you want for Connacht?

I think a loosehead and ten are needed. Ideally an NIQ loosehead and a Leinster ten, realistically Harry Byrne or Tector.

Depending on SHL’s contract situation I’d look at Will Connors or Penny.

And potentially a full back depending on Cordero’s recovery.

If you could convince Gus McCarthy from Leinster, I’d be all for that.

Advertisement