Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Your house is likely using 100-200W even when nothing is deliberately on, which the solar is usually able to cover. (wifi, fridge, freezer, house alarm, devices on standby, etc. etc.). With that, the charger installer is probably right that 1.5kW solar will almost never generate enough flow out of the house to turn on the charger without also pulling a share of grid power. Even with a smart charger set to only use grid power to top up to the minimum, that minimum 1.4kW would only be enough to add a tiny amount of miles range per hour plugged in - so hardly worth the bother.

Given that you'll still be drawing some grid power to run the charger, you (and most people, even with larger installations) are better off treating the solar and the car charger as two independent systems : Let the power company pay you for any excess solar power that goes to the grid after covering your house's usage, and charge the car whenever it is cheapest or most convenient for you (usually at night). It's easy to find a rate where the feed in rate paid for excess solar is higher than the night time EV rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You have pretty much zero chance of charging your car, even if you generate at peak your base house load will be prioritised first leaving you with threadbare margin to charge the car, cloud passes or someone turns on a TV and car charge will cut off.

CT clamps costs around €25 BTW, some labour/markup

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 slideaway

Thanks alot for the replies folks very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

The installer is correct to a point, but personally I'd put it in as someone already mentioned to future proof the install if you ever decide to upgrade your PV. What charger are you getting? I know Zappis come with 1 CT and additional ones are only around €20 for public purchase, a REC would be getting them at a lot less than that wholesale so €70 seems excessive even in todays rip off market.

But ye, forget about any meaningful charging off a 1.5kW PV system, even a 10 amp granny charger pulls around 2kW while charging, and you'll only rarely be actually getting anywhere near 1.5kW in the ideal conditions needed for max PV production.

Off topic on the car charger but going forward you can give some thought to upgrading the PV, you can have up to a 5kW inverter without any additional permissions needed from ESBN and probably sell your existing system for around €3-400 if you ask the installers to remove it carefully. I assume your NC6 is already sorted and you're getting FIT payment back from your supplier for the small bit of electricity you might export at the minute?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

They wouldn't be getting it for much less, probably about 16 quid. There's also labour involved installing a ct clamp and maybe more materials depending on the length of run. You know nothing regarding the logistics of the install so I don't understand how you can make the statement you did, unless of course I've misunderstood and the 70 quid is just for the supply of the ct ex install.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Charging from solar sounds great, but now with the good export rates, If the export rate is more than the night rate, Better off just exporting and charging overnight.

Thanks folks

@buffman it includes install, not overly concerned about the 70 to future proof, however if going the upgrade route probably best to wait until then and install CT then as can be retrofitted (won't be upgrading any time soon as usage excluding car is very low)

Charger is EO mini pro 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah it seems counter intuitive but the maths definitely mean export as much as you can and consume as much as you can on night tarrifs. Charging from solar is slow at the best of times. I did it last summer a few times and even on a really sunny day you're probably putting in 4 kWh into the car (from 4kwp south east, 3kw north west) I'd have been far better off chatting on 6 cents night rate with pinergy etc and getting 25 cents for every KWh exported

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He'll have to run a cable back to the CU for the clamp, for the sake of €70 I'd get it done now and be finished with it. You won't get it for 70 in the future.

Ye, the only thing I'll say about not doing it now is that it may cost more in the future as getting it done at the initial install means the installer can probably run and pull and connect all the cables together at the same time along the same route from the charger back to the consumer unit, whereas doing it afterwards would mean having to run and wire the solar CT clamp cable from scratch which could substantially increase the labour on it. Normally the Solar PV installers wouldn't have any reason to go near the car charger wiring at all unless it was all part of the same job being done at the same time, you might find they won't want to touch it at all and you might have to go back to the car charger installer anyway.

Don't be afraid to haggle a bit either. Is your house new enough to be already pre-wired for the charger or does the installer have to install the power cables from the consumer unit and is the consumer unit close to the proposed charger location? Is the installer going to install the 'load management' CT clamp for the charger? (Would be mad not to on an EO pro) If it's the latter three I'd ask him if he'd do the solar CT clamp for €50, if you don't ask you don't get.

But even for €70, that would be probably a lot less than what you would pay to get it installed as a 'stand alone' job for the reasons above so personally I'd go for it now. Although as mentioned, depending on whatever energy plan you're on it might work out cheaper to charge at night and export during the day and hence not need the solar CT clamp at all, so that's worth keeping in mind. But personally, if I was getting an EO mini pro 2 I'd want all the available functionality working if possible. (Even if I didn't have solar yet, I'd get the additional CT clamp run up to the CU for future proofing.)

Having installed a few I've a fair idea of the logistics involved which is why I was asking the poster what charger they were getting. In this case, if the installer is installing the load management CT clamp anyway and the CU and EO are within reasonable distance of each other, asking €70 for the additional CT clamp which will follow the exact same wiring route from EO to CU that he has to pull other cables along anyway is IMO a bit on the high side. I see some installers like Energia will actually include it for free.

"Additional CT clamp included FOC for solar customers. (Where required)"

https://smarthomestore.energia.ie/eo-mini-pro-2-socket-install

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Phew!! A very long winded version of what I said in one paragraph 😉

If by 'long winded' you mean a far more detailed explanation of why it would be better and cheaper to do it now, then yes, you're correct.

Ah now, you did waffle on a bit in fairness...

That's your opinion as you said. My opinion is that you know nothing about the logistics of this particular install and you can't say whether 70 is a fair price or not. Anyway it's an extra on to a standard installation and 50 quid or so is a fair price for extra work. Profit seems to be a dirty word in here.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Any recommendations for an EV charger installer in Lucan Co. Dublin region? I got Hypervolt Pro 3 unit and also approved for €600 SEAI Grant.

PM pls, thanks!

Thanks alot buffman, very helpful and everyone else.

Will get the solar clamp fitted he is already doing the load management one and have been haggling alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, about to take the plunge on a charger and I am looking to see if I can get some advice.

I started following the thread a few weeks back and have read through this thread and there is a huge amount of information but checking if there is a summary.

If not, I have the following questions if anyone can help:

• I have grant preapproval for a for a Wallbox Chargers Pulsar Plus. Assuming I can change this model if needed?

• I assume tethered is best for a home unit.

• Does the Electric car I pick have any bearing on the unit I should install or electric installation?

• I would like it to be smart so I can plug in the car at any time but only have it charge at a set time at night to avail of night rates (I don’t want to have to remember to either go outside at 11pm and plug it in or remotely turn it on).

• I will likely get Solar PV is the near future. Should that have any bearing on my choice? I have heard that it is not good for car charging and night rates are best.

• Is there anything I should think of for future proofing the charger. I hear mention of a Solar Clamp but not sure what this does and the pluses/minuses.

• I also heard about charging the car (at night rates) and the using it as a battery for the house during the day. I have low mileage (I work from home) so this might be an option for me. I’d like the charger to be able to handle this (inverter?). I imagine the car will need to handle it too. If “inverter” is the term I can look out for this in my car search.

• I assume all the approved installers on the SEAI website are reputable? If not, would you have anyone you would recommend. We have external insulation, so I am anxious that it is someone who does a tidy job.

Note: We have a driveway, and our electrical box is easily accessible do I don’t think we have any issues with access.

Thanks in advance and sorry of this is already in the thread but I am very untechnical, so it is hard for me to understand.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

# Yes, you can change model as long as it is an approved one.

# Tethered is what I would recommend. Type 2, as very few cars will be type 1.

# Only much older EVs like the pre 2018 Leaf will be Type 1 charger. Most cars are type 2 and this is the standard. Adapters are easily purchased regardless.

# Most EVs have a charge timer built-in. Otherwise the charger will have a timer built into the APP. They can all be overridden if you need to charge right away. I tend to use the car timer.

# Get a charger that will give you the option. My preferred charger is the hypervolt, but must be ordered from the UK. Zappi is a common one too, though I'm not a fan of them personally. Plenty of solar options. Nice to have the option.

# Future proofing...I would just say get the clamp installed for the solar capable charger. I also ran a cable for an outdoor domestic socket. If there are issues with the charger, or you need to add charge to a second car overnight, the outdoor socket is a saving grace.

# Don't worry about V2H (vehicle to home) setups. Use your car as a car, not a battery. If you want a home battery, consider that during your solar install.

# I have a dislike for what electricians are charging for installs of EV chargers. I can't say they are all reputable, only that they are all registered. Just pick one with a good deal, or choose any RECI to do the work and provide the charger yourself if you want. Get a few quotes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Whats the clamp needed for ? I’m thinking of getting a Zappi installed myself as I might get solar in the future. Thanks.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just export your surplus. Get paid for it. Charge at night when it’s cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The clamp reads what the charge point is drawing. It stops the charger from drawing too much juice when the house is running a high load. It lets you charge from solar among other things. Better to export the solar though and charge at night regardless of having a clamp.

Stay Free

My opinion is that quoting €70 to do something other companies are offering to do free of charge 100% should be queried by the customer. Nobody has any issue with profit, profiteering on the other hand I would have a big issue with.

The Zappi comes with 1 'grid' CT clamp included and this must be fitted on the meter tails between the meter and consumer unit to provide the load management function and monitor import/export as said by Ghost above. A 2nd optional CT can be fitted between the solar inverter and the consumer unit if your want to monitor total solar generation.

Just a heads up on the Zappi, do your research on it, there's a few threads on here and elsewhere which indicate that their reliability might not be what you'd expect and you certainly don't want to be caught outside of the warranty period if it bricks itself.

Ridiculous, how can small or independent installers compete with Energia. It's their size that allows them to offer those things for free. €50 for an extra on a job is standard not profiteering.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

What would a good alternative to the Zappi be? An EO mini pro won't do solar as well with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Ugh, staying in Lough Erne at the moment, 3 charge points and none working. Operated by monta but they seem useless

But it isn't an extra, it should be fitted during the installation. If there was a 9kw shower in the house it would be fitted. My CP has the clamp fitted and I wasn't charged extra.

It's an extra clamp for the Pv system we're talking about here, not the load balancing clamp.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭ted1

come on they are making a lot of profit on the install, barging far more than they would for installing an outdoor socket

• Advertisement

I've installed many chargepoints and it was barely worth my time, in fact I stopped installing them because they became so painful. There's not that much profit in them. Everyone thinks they're getting screwed, but one of the most common complaints at the moment is that people can't get someone to install for them. If they are so profitable everyone would be installing them right?

☀️

Advertisement