Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,268 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

A quote from the Newstalk article made me laugh

"The fact is, when an asylum seeker is given a deportation order, they are asked to self-deport. The Department of Justice does not even collect figures on this, they have no idea how many people self-deport."

I can see the Department ringing these asylum seekers every day asking have you left yet, have you left yet, have you left yet.

This is just beyond a **** joke, this country will never recover from this mismanagement from Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It doesn't seem likely they are supposed to stay there, especially in the case of the supposed 'single unvetted males'. There would be nothing to tie them to those communities or a reason for them to settle there. The assumption would have to be that their stay is only temporary - 12 months or less - and it is intended to move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Varadkar saying people who don't self deport are "forcibly" deported is an outrageous and total lie. They dont track whether people self deport so how can it be true. About 700 deportation orders were issued and only 80 actually forcibly removed.

And nothing from him about the low rejection rate of only 700 out of 15,000 IP applicants. We should be rejecting 14,700 out of 15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Here's the amarach poll that was in the Mail today

https://archive.ph/rZxnW#selection-1159.0-1159.121

Almost three quarters, 73%, say the level of immigration into Ireland is ‘too high’, while just 3% said it was ‘too low’.

What's important here is that the RedC poll from six months ago found 75% of people felt we had taken too many refugees. This poll is saying 73% feel we have taken too many immigrants of any type.

Those on the left are going to have to ready themselves for some major movement on this issue in the next month or so.

Sinn Fein have a new approach to the problem. Mary Lou is moving the discussion on to the pressure on Housing and Health being caused by the large numbers of all kinds of immigrants in the country.

Love it or loathe it in a month or so that's what we're all going to be talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Those on the left have destroyed their agenda by pushing too far, there is no longer any place for the extreme left in our society and good riddance.

Up until a few years ago I used to consider myself left but seeing what was happening at the time on social mmedia in the US I couldn't be associated with their mental illness policies(that we have inherited here unfortunately, Ireland too pasty white and all that crap), I'm proudly far right now apparently lol.

I completely refuse to vote yes for any "progressive" nonsense vote for constitution changes, had enough of this left nonsense.

Hey left, you're turning your previous followers into "far right", well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

If a terrorist wants to come into ireland all they have to do is claim asylum. Doesnt matter if they rejected as they won't be forcibly deported. Then just disappear into the black economy. Simple as that.

In that sense Varadkar we absolutely do have open borders, with the open door being the asylum system.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Deportation orders issued along with the 10,000 + already Issued and outstanding from the last two decades

And when asked even on here people will reply we know that they all left ,but how do you know that they all actually left? Because they aren't here so they left ,

The Guards aren't looking or chasing after any failed asylum seekers or those issued with Deportation orders in the post,

And Thanks to McEntee's amnesty they purposely put those with Deportation orders outstanding and being entitled to the amnesty along with those with criminal convictions and students who broke their student visa requirements

Mary Lou is turning the spotlight on our general immigrant population and the fact they they are here in such numbers that we are unable to provide our own with adequate Housing and Healthcare.

30% of immigrants are non-EU. 230,000 of those are on work or education permits. "Only" 13,000 are IPAS. (2022 figures)

Possible options:

Reduce access to welfare for those from the EU.

Reduce the numbers of education and work permits we issue.

+ Special attention should be given to language schools. The rules exist they're just not being applied.

+ Only this month we greatly expanded the categories qualifying for work permits. We could undo that.

Permits can only be obtained for positions above a certain salary. We could raise that salary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lots of talk of the MSM supposedly being in the pocket of the current government, but this Newstalk journalist (one of their main ones) is hugely critical of Varadkar's letter to the Sunday Independent today:

Mary Lou is full of s***.

SF had their chance all along but aren't an opposition party, they're a the same as every other party party.

I would have voted for them before this immigration scam, but I will never in my life vote for them now.

I wouldn't vote for them either but they are going to be setting the terms of the discussion in the next few months.

When you consider East Wall started with nothing more than slogans sprayed on bedsheets and a bad attitude - it's come a long way.

People remember, SF won't get the windfall they expect in the next election, they're the same crap as we we already have, they could have been a good viable alternative but the sad thing is I believe i know why they are towing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What? Are you saying Mary Lou is now saying immigration is a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Self deport… Well, I have heard it all now!

How can the Government complain that people don’t have faith in the process when it’s so ridiculously flawed?!

I’ve been saying it for a while, the right is going to take off sooner or later in Irish politics. The country is awash with well-meaning nonsense and complete failures in public policy.

This is great journalism. The article should be shared widely.

Unfortunately after 15 years of deep cuts we have a very weak media in Ireland and our society is paying a price for it.

The article is the best thing I’ve read in ages. He just annihilates Varadkar’s misinformation.

It reflects poorly on the Sindo that what he was saying was accepted at face value, even though it wasn’t true.

Our Government have failed on housing, health and immigration, yet when I hear them talking they frequently congratulate themselves on the improvements they’ve made in these areas. They don’t see any crisis at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

it’s still true. MSM are firmly on the side of government and left wing ideology. I’m amazed that this article was published, don’t get me wrong, i’m also relieved as i was thinking we were beyond hope, but this has giving me some. it won’t change anything yet but maybe more journalists will question the narratives now. government can’t buy their way out of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Thanks for avoiding answering the questions and copying and pasting something that also doesn't answer the question.

Can imagine an Irish lad showing up without a passport in Australia would just be let off free to roam the country like those found in the shipping container here last week. That would work out well for him in sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Deportation orders are issued in all countries and people are given the chance to leave, all countries. It's not like Ireland is different to any other country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And you of course know and aware of the details of every single asylum claim, so can obviously say 14,500 should be deported.

I think people working in the IPO know more than any old randomer on the internet.

Other countries actually deport more than a handful every few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

Which case is that? If it's not clear, my case would be to not have them here, for this reason among others.

The thread title mentions solutions. Here's an obvious one; forcibly deport anyone who applies for refugee status but is adjudged not to be deserving of it. Don't rely on their good nature.

Another obvious one; the Taoiseach should not write articles for the country's biggest selling newspaper in which he promotes misinformation. That is very likely to aggravate an already fraught situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Leo has been telling pokies for as long as I can remember. Also a deft hand at leaking sensitive documents. If him and Lucifer both told me a version of a story I'd believe Lucifer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

😂😂Next it will be self flagellation for the lawless. Safe a fortune on policing and prison spaces. Another problem solved.. this political stuff is easy

It says a lot that Varadkar's political career not only survived that leak, but he became Taoiseach again. There were no consequences.

Yesterday he tries to spread misinformation in the country's most read paper, he gets pulled up, but he won't face any real political pressure. With the standard of leader we have, it's no surprise there has been disastrous handling of complex issues like healthcare and immigration.

He and his pals think we are thick.

Think we all came down in the last shower.

They are so out of touch.

Pat Kenny and Haely Rae tearing Leo’s waffle piece apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

While I agree with this view I think it stems from the fact that the really clever PR spinners have made themselves indispensible to the politicians and persuaded them they can pretty much sell any old sh1te to the thicko public

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement