Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

There are two Roses, Rose I has long departed. Rose II is a more recent development. However, I thought he was young free and single again. Especially after writing "The team behind the screen is small but perfectly formed and I’d like to think we’re already friends."

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I wouldn't criticise the style so much. It's the Daily Mail house style. If Sebastian Barry himself wrote a piece for the Mail, they would edit it so that it read like a homework assignment from an 8-year-old.

However, I found this weird: "I hadn’t heard from Chris for a long time but when he heard I was in London, he invited me for coffee after his show. I sat in the cab wondering what it was all about." Really? If someone I was friendly with invited me for coffee because I had moved to London, I would be looking forward to catching up - not wondering 'what it was all about'. Made me wonder if he's always so transactional.  

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Rose II has been on the scene for over a year. At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Don't want to get too personal but does his GF work in London?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chris- Hey Ryan, I hear you're in town! Let's meet for coffee?

RT- Would love to! When and where?

Chris Why not drop by my job in the morning about a half hour before I knock off?

Spoofer. Always was.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A number of off topic posts warned or deleted. Please keep discussion on this thread to Ryan Tubridy and his current ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I doubt there was anything random about the catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This. The guy spoofs and lies and, for some reason, some segments of the population believe him. I presume. He must be telling these stories for the benefit of his instagram followers who'd believe anything he said, and for UK listeners who may not yet realise that you can't believe a word of what he says. (I'll pay that 150k back as soon as it's clear I won't be doing the Renault gigs, Chair."

• Google is a bit on the challenging side for him to negotiate. As for the bukes, he gets people NK staff to read them and pass on the synopses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

Having someone else read bukes for you, then give you a synopsis and interview questions is standard practice. Most other broadcasters just don't pretend they've read them from cover to cover.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I really enjoyed reading the lovely written article in the newspaper today.

in fact it’s been the only topic of conversation in our household today - every member of the household (including the paid help) has read and thoroughly enjoyed the article.

The penmanship and the literal dexterity is a joy to behold and we are indeed blessed as a nation to have such great talent.

its the reason Ireland is the envy of the world.

i am always proud to be Irish when I see great Irishmen and women making their mark in the arts world at home and abroad.

today, RT, is making his way in the UK and is already on a pedestal with Wogan, Norton, Eamon Andrew to name a few.

in fact his star is only beginning to rise - I see great things on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

^ You know in Father Ted, when Ted calls out the shenanigans behind the ,'Chris the Sheep' scandal and you hear a voice off in the background going "**** Hell!!"

Well I just heard that voice when I read the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

"I see great things on the horizon"

Be careful, "Tubridy After Two AM" on Virgin could be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭backwards_man

Gina London is another one who I can't understand why she has a column or an audience. Her column is generic PR waffle that could be AI generated. Until you said she was actually on a programme I have assumed she is a made up persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Seen as Ryan is such a homebird I can't see how he's settling in so quickly over there, he's gushing about it, it's like he's trying to convince himself he's happy to be there, and I also think he paid the Irish Mail to write that coloum. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sounds like the last words of the lookout on the Titanic. :) On a second reading of Tubridy's article, it looks like he is trying to convince himself that the events of 2023 weren't a disaster for him and that he is loving London. He appears to be a little Dubliner who wants to be back in Dublin because he's a nobody in London. He probably only has about six months to go mainstream in London and get some TV work even if it is presenting some gameshow on Sky or some of the digital TV channels.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Monkey Tennis qualifiers from Chiswick Zoo with legendary Irish TV presenter Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

That voice was Arthur Matthews' AFAIK. Bloody hilarious!

Only came to prominence over here when Trump got elected and she was RTE's go-to person when they wanted to give him an on-air kicking. A one trick pony - no doubt she'll disappear when he does

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's week 3.. Ryan probably had 1-2 pints of Bud over the weekend, and will now no doubt feel fully in the swing of things and rearing to go this morning...

I wonder what bookshops he visited over the weekend (on Google Maps)

And also...

Does anyone really believe the Sinead O'Connor story? I believe it's complete and utter bullsh1t, and a very convenient way for Tubridy to spin up anything he wanted because O'Connor is no longer around to set the record straight. I'm not saying a chat/conversation didn't take place between the 2, but when you are hearing a side of a story from Tubridy who can be 'flexible' with the truth, you have to wonder is it just another complete fabrication to make himself look good, or to put out a narrative that he was a victim in the whole payment scandal. The whole story just seems off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

More bizarre “fantasies” being spouted in here, again, today it would seem.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RTE, including Tubridy at the time, were all geared up for Hillary Clinton winning the US presidency in 2016. She (Gina London) was often the token American (and way more clueful than the usual airheaded panel fodder from the Dublin media) on various RTE and radio panels. The morning after the election when Trump won was a bit of a downer for RTE and the Irish media who all expected HRC to win.

Given that this is a presidential election year in the US and Tubridy likes to think of himself as a political anorak when it comes to US politics, it is surprising that there's been no mention of a trip to the US to cover the election either for TV or radio. However, I don't think that the Virgin Radio listeners would have that much interest in the US presidential election. The primaries to select the presidential candidates are coming up in the next few weeks so they will probably get a mention on Tubridy's show or in his Irish Mail column. His LLS interiew with Hillary Clinton could be used for namedropping.It is getting to be a bit of namedrop bingo for Tubridy at this stage as he tries to bask in the fame of others.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That MoS column is awful. I could only skim it, and it did me no good. That's no surprise, it's written for a specific market that I'm not a part of.

But it doesn't matter that it's bad, and it doesn't matter that we're all here smugly slagging it off. All that matters is that there's major industry players that see and wish to exploit Tubridy's potential in the market. People had completely written him off in the summer. But he's a competent professional with solid industry contacts and friends that respect him, and there's an undeniable audience for him. He'll always land on his feet.

While it's certainly ok not to be a fan of him (I'm obviously not myself), and there's lots of things to criticise him for, being successful isn't one of them. The overdosing on copium and cognitive dissonance of his hardcore detractors is going to have to fade in time. The reality of a national UK radio show, syndication across multiple Irish radio stations, a dedicated syndicated Irish weekend show, a national Sunday newspaper column (and God-knows what other projects in the works) is just too much - too real - to deny for long. It wouldn't be healthy.

A lot of credit obviously has to go to Noel Kelly too. From "chocolate salesman" to Ireland's premier talent agent - and now clearly spreading into the lucrative and cutthroat UK market. I would not be surprised if NKM and CMS open a London bureau soon, and get a few top names on the books.

From the breaking of the RTE payment scandal, to the low point of the Oireachtas committee's grilling, to Tubridy losing his RTE contact, to the fresh start in the UK with a savvy nod back to "the old country"; You can clearly see how successful people thrive - they see setbacks as only as opportunity. No wallowing, no giving up: hit obstacle, correct course, and plough on. There's something for us all to learn from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

get some TV work even if it is presenting some gameshow on Sky or some of the digital TV channels.

something like this would play to his strengths

• Praise be to Noel Kelly

Amen

Let us now kneel and ask for His blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is he hanging around St John's Wood trying to stalk Paul McCartney?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll believe it all to be true if he's still working away happily in London in 12 to 24 months time.

Personally I think he'll try to fashion some sort of return to Ireland ASAP. But I am happy to be proven wrong if he sticks it out.

Advertisement