Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You haven't agreed with anybody. That's the first post you've put up that's even slightly agreeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

This conversation is so 🍿🍿.

Got mine stalled yesterday approx 1 hours work (I had cables already ran and charger mounted though)

Edit: 😟😟😟

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have an EO Mini Pro 2 and it seems to be charging at 16A for some reason. Well, it's fluctuating 14-17A according to the app. Got up to 4.5kW and 32A/7.5kW briefly when I unplugged and plugged back in but back to 16A-ish.

Cold never seems to effect it and all the reduced charge option in the car is disabled. Maybe I didn't turn the charger off for long enough to reset it, I'll leave it for now and try again tomorrow.

Hopefully not a sign of something faulty. 10m cables aren't cheap -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Two pages of amateurs telling professionals how to do their job. You’d have to wonder why there are regulations in place if it’s that easy, and why there aren’t more installers doing it. Go figure.

Because most installers can't be arsed drilling holes and certainly don't want to sign their name to any piece of paper that ties them to said installation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That looks like a 20a RCBO to me.

Id proceed on that basis until a RECI confirms otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the B20 part tell you it’s a Type B breaker rated at 20Amps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ecoplex installed my Wallbox Pulsar in 60 minutes a couple of years ago.

2 lads granted, so the work shared effectively, and yes - a simple install right next to the consumer unit.

Sales contact did originally look for 150 for a priority switch/CT clamp until I pointed out their latest brochure said it was included in the install price - and there was a hasty backtrack done there.

Showed me how much profit there is in chargepoint installs, and also - much like all domains of human activity these days that involve commission-based sales people at the front end - how murky they all make costs vs price vs effort to confuse customers in order to take higher income.

There is a story about Henry Ford and a German engineer sent over to advise Ford on automating his factory. The engineer drew an outline on the factory floor of where all the machinery was to be placed with a piece of chalk. One of Ford’s managers was appalled at how much the chalkmarks cost, Ford told him the chalk was free, we are paying for his expertise.

The details may not be exact, but you get the jist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, an EO pro can do it with the correct set up. At the moment depending on your plan it might work out cheaper to export the solar surplus and charge at night, however things change and as I've said in previous posts for a minimal extra outlay at time of installation (or even free of extra charge with some installers), personally I'd prefer to have the full functionality available on the charger.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

What car is it (for size of it's onboard charger)? For example if it's only a 3.6kW PHEV or old leaf etc. it should never pull more than that.

Any fault in the lead itself should prevent the car charging at all. Is the lead rated for 32A of 16A? It should say on the plugs. For example having a 7kW car and 7kW charger but only a 3.6kW (16A) lead connecting them will result in max 3.6kW charging for obvious reasons.

Other potential issues could be the load management CT clamp location or the rotary switch inside the EO not set to the correct current, however all very unlikely with an experienced competent installer.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Car is a Cupra Born, so always has 7kW charging and cable is definitely 32A as I have been using it without issue for the last 17 months. It went down as far as 12A before I unplugged it. No power shower or anything in the house. Washing machine was on for a bit but no change when it was off so nothing unusual there.

I'll try again tonight and see what the story is. Car was just past 80% but I've never had any slowdown when nearly full.

Fair enough if it's already been working away at 7kW. I guess you've tried a full charger reset already? Did it receive any software updates lately? Hopefully it's still in 3 year warranty? If so, you should contact EO support.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Depending on your test tonight I would try to get a loan of another cable to rule that out. It could be a bad connection in the cable which then causes it to revert to lower amps as a fail safe. Worth trying another cable anyway to rule it out.

Another thing to check... the VW ID cars have a "reduced charging rate" option which is easy to flick on by mistake. Does the Cupra have that? Any chance thats flicked on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm going to get an EO mini installed, mainly because I don't want to have a cable lying around outside as it'll be used very rarely, am I being silly not getting a tethered? The unit will be VERY close to where I'll be parking so distance isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭joe1303l

When it’s pouring rain and you need to plug in your car or plug it out, you’ll feel very silly.

It takes me nearly as long to unwind the tether for use, then wind it afterwards for storage, then it does to take the cable from my boot. Rain is rarely a surprise occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When it's pouring rain and I have to get diesel I don't feel silly and plugging a cable in is a lot faster than filling a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Anywhere I’ve ever bought diesel, I had a roof over me called a forecourt canopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Near esb meter install

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have just bought a new Nissan leaf 40kw - any recommendations on best home charger and best installer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, you really won't. People with tethered chargers keep saying this.

How many people have a work bag they get from the back seat? Or a baby, that takes a lot longer, plus getting the pram in. You're getting something out of the car anyway. Grab the cable from the boot/floor/back seat, plug it in right next to the back door you're standing beside, then into the wall on the way to the door, then go into the house.

It's literally not a big deal at all. It rains every other day in Ireland, 200 days a year. You get wet all the time walking into the house from the car. What's an extra 20-30 seconds.

And I'm saying that as someone who uses a 10m cable which gets tangled and is heavy. Oh no, rain. In Ireland. What ever will we do.

I spend more time getting wet walking to my car in the car park at work than I do plugging the car in with an untethered cable.

That actually hurts my eyes, did a professional do that ?

could they not go off the fuseboard?

most people keep their type 2 cable nicely tidied away which is often in the hole in the boot. So if you have things in the boot you may have to take them out. Way to mush hassle. Tethered all the way.

leave it at home and it’ll be the one day you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No I did the same most tethered units look untidy to me and you’ll faff around as much winding a cable round etc as you would throwing it in the boot or shed or wherever. Untethered is ideal unless you’ll need to charge daily or something

Cable is fine so the fault is with the charger, it's now flashing a red fault LED which the manual says is "More than 6ma of DC current has leaked to earth" no idea what that means, but a forum post found on Google indicates water ingress.

So what's the story with warranties and such on chargers. It was installed last August and I didn't register on their website for their "extended warranty". Do Irish consumer rights protect me here or am I on the hook for paying for repairs? If it's water ingress then it shouldn't be on me as that means it either wasn't installed properly or is faulty and wasn't waterproof somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Any chance of a photo of the inside of the Esb meter cabinet

Advertisement