Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

There were 2 Ireland's Crazy Christmas Lights made in 2013. I might be one or two off - but total they've shown of ep #1 is 46 times, and #2 40 times since

Ireland's Crazy Christmas Lights on this year:

• VM4 Friday 22nd of December 2023 7:25pm
    • VM1 Saturday 23rd of December 2023 9:30am
    • VM3 Sunday 24th of December 2023 1:45am
    • VM3 Sunday 24th of December 2023 11:00pm
    • VM4 Monday 25th of December 2023 12:15am
    • VM1 Tuesday 26th of December 2023 3:00pm
    • VM4 Thursday 28th of December 2023 6:15pm
    • VM4 Monday 1st January 2024 1:00am

Then there was a newer 'Battle Of The Christmas Lights' which is another 2 parter made in 2021. Not shown as often yet as the one above, but they're giving it a good go.

• Part 1 VM1 Thursday 21st of December 2023 4:00pm
    • Part 2 VM1 Friday 22nd of December 2023 4:00pm
    • Part 2 VM4 Saturday 23rd of December 2023 7:25pm
    • Part 2 VM1 Sunday 24th of December 2023 10:15am
    • Part 1 VM1 Sunday 24th of December 2023 9:45am
    • Part 1 VM4 Monday 25th of December 2023 4:30pm
    • Part 2 VM3 Tuesday 26th of December 2023 1:25am
    • Part 1 VM3 Tuesday 26th of December 2023 12:55am
    • Part 1 VM4 Wednesday 27th of December 2023 6:30pm
    • Part 2 VM4 Wednesday 27th of December 2023 7:00pm

Another Christmas highlight that Virgin Media needed to show a copious amounts of time in the past 3 days was the ITV Carols At Christmas from 2021. 5 times in 3 days. And it's even been mis-printed as Royal Carols At Xmas in their TV guides.

• VM3 Thursday 21st of December 2023 8:05am
    • VM3 Friday 22nd of December 2023 8:10am
    • VM4 Friday 22nd of December 2023 6:00pm
    • VM4 Saturday 23rd of December 2023 12:00pm
    • VM3 Saturday 23rd of December 2023 7:25am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That is just beyond embarrassing. Beyond words.

I use my own FTA setup and I bumped all the Virgin channels way down in the EPG a few months ago. The other half hasn’t even noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭decor58

Likewise, I left VM1 at 3 but moved the others down the list because we watched them so seldom, a bit of imagination could go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

It's simply ludicrous that a channel running daily news could shutdown for a fortnight for the Christmas.

Not one bit surprised as they've been getting away with it the last couple of years.

I know they don't have a say in it, but their news reporters and media presenters must be mortified working for such a farce of a station. Or maybe they just keep shtum to take Christmas off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Even if they just organised year in review type programming

E.g. don't look back in anger monthly editions, don't look back in anger January, The best of The Tonight Show,

Are TG4 the only channel doing a full programme for the release of state papers and I think they usually do suil sair na bhlian as their yearly review.

VM made on real effort this year.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Stephen Kenny: Big Interview was on VM4 the other night. The 30minute interview which was recorded ahead of his first match in 2020. Quality output as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

The last few days I've been trying to catch the news on Virgin One but it's not on. What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Nothing happens in the news or current affairs around Christmas time as far as Virgin are concerned 🙄. It will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

That's terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭political analyst

From what I've read in listings, there were summaries on Virgin 1 on some days between St Stephen's Day and now. In the UK, Channel 5 has a similar approach - it doesn't have any news bulletin on Christmas Day at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

News is back from today, tonight show from tomorrow. Say the staff are delighted with their Xmas arrangements, who wouldn't be. Don't follow the journalists so no idea if they keep working on stuff, posting online etc.

VM1 showing Mr.Bates Vs the post office nightly the same as itv which is good. Not sure if they're airing the documentary on it though.

Didn't notice Jeopardy on yet either

No sign of Jeopardy, Deal or No Deal, or even Graham Norton's Wheel Of Fortune on VMTV yet at least.

They do seem quite content in sticking with Tipping Point and The Chase being shown in the same timeslots every week since 2018.

VM2 going down the Bravo & E! programming it seems from 10pm onwards next week - Below Deck, Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills; Dallas; New Jersey, Vanderpump Rules, Million Dollar Listings, Keeping Up With Kardashians (from Series 1!). Daytime still heavily reliant on ITV gameshows.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭AJB39

They have a brand new intro and graphics for the return of Virgin Media News today. The studio looks the same though.

Kind wonder why they bother, Or I sat through 4 ads to watch this new intro!

On TV3 News and its Christmas break. In fairness to them they provide a 48 week calendar year across all of their in house productions (save for The Tonight Show). RTÉ doesn't return to full news until Monday.

______

Yesterday

Anybody having trouble watching live content using the player via an Apple TV box? Froze twice in the last half an hour during ad breaks and also got stuck on the “your content will resume shortly page” too. Had no choice but to manually restart the player each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

Oh my God my ears are ringing from those 2 SHOUTERS presenting on the six o'clock show. And I can't understand a word the lady is mumbling. Why put 2 shouters together and not turn down the mics in the studios? My tv is not that loud. I've had to change channels almost every evening this week because of the racket. I hope that it's just not me finding this.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What is she implying when she talks about 'digital innovations in Irish broadcasting'? Is she talking about improving the VM Player and putting it on more platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭deezell

I'd say that's a yes/no answer. There may be opportunities in the digital space with live/catchup interfaces, indistinguishable to the end user as to the source, terrestrial, satellite or ip/Internet. If you follow the progress of UK Freeview and Freesat, about to be reinvented as 'Freely' , you'll see that a new future is dawning, where user enabled terrestrial and satellite reception may disappear or be incorporated into a 'Digital' service. Sky are unlikely to continue satellite broadcast after 2028. Terrestrial transmission in the UK may dissappear altogether, freeing up the bandwidth for the new kid on the block. OFCOM in the UK is to be given sweeping powers over media content and delivery. There's no reason to not believe the same might happen here or in the EU. VM may already be looking at slots on the new Freely EPG, which has caused some controversy in NI as it seems to exclude TG4. It's all very confusing, but with a certain inevitability to it. It's long term too, but not a lifetime away. There are good discussions here.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/freely.2470570/page-2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Let's not get too excited. In the context of Virgin Media, "digital innovations" likely means a way to deliver more targeted ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Áine Ní Chaoindealbháin

Imagine having to spell that out over the phone. Can't think it's an indigenous Gaelic name, wonder what it was in orginal form. Kendellen maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i chuffed at tthis part

My key focus will be to build on the successful foundation already in place; leveraging our strengths in award-winning content, news, current affairs, sport, and digital services to drive innovation in Irish broadcasting

Only VMTV could spin such awful programming as award winning....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭deezell

That's life, I have lived with a angelized name that no one can spell or pronounce, so it is little difference to me when it comes to the version in Irish or in English.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might drop that line of conversation please, it’s of no relevance.

Hopefully "Less Is More" for the new MD. At least dropping VM4 and More would be the first step.

A full 90minute showing of Man Utd v Bayer Leverkusen's Champions League match from 2013 has been shown 9 times across VM4 and VM More this month. Rio Ferdinand's Between The Lines: Luka Modric despite the first broadcast being 1st April 2023 has been shown around 124 times so far. One-Armed Wonder: The Extraordinary Story of Jimmy Hasty shown 64 times.

Since the start of Virgin Media Sport (Sep 2018), they've incorrectly stated that the Juventus v Real Madrid full 90minute match they continually show is the Champions League Final of 2017/18 season (which TV3 didn't have the rights to). Yet in fact it's a full replay of the Quarter-Final CL match from 2017/18. 6 years later, and it's still being trailed as the final on their TV guide - and is available on the 21st Jan, 23rd Jan on VMMore and VM4 on the 26th Jan.

Less is More across 6 channels.

Also the other thing about that Article it only mentions TV3's losses (VMTV ONE), as far as I know Channel 6 (VMTV TWO) and UTV Ireland (VMTV THREE) made profits last year, I think I posted this a while back from an Irish Times Article.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

If they want to continue with five channels they at least need to give them a defined direction and at least try to stick to it. A bit like their heroes at ITV do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

Considering the six nations is about to start you would think that they would provide a HD broadcast of the VM channels. Suspect it might be linked to their sky deal.

Advertisement