Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

At the start of the show when they were showing Dermot around the house they even had a lamp on,which shows electricity was still connected. Dermot mentioned that they had fresh flowers in a house that they were not living in - she quickly said they were fake but they clearly were fresh Lillie's 😂. Kids bath toys still there etc.

I'm guessing they wanted to avail of whatever grants was available to them - derelict/vacant whatever and lied that they had to move out and in with the sister. It's not clear what grants they did actually get though. If they got the vacant home grant then it's a joke as they were clearly living there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Well what ever grants they got it came to nearly €100,000 worth 😬 you would have imagined they would have at least tried to make it look vacant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

It's not clear what grants they did actually get though.

Think at the end QS gave figure of 90 something from grants.

I had expected that electricity needed to be disconnected to quality as vacant.

Just shows if these 'loopholes' can be shown on TV that there are even more ways around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nevermind the vacant grant, pretty sure the QS said they got the derelict grant too.

The local councils are sanctioning these grants, nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its 2 years with electricity disconnected I think, thats the least that would be asked for.

As for derelict, theres no way that house would be in any way derelict, the structure was solid.

Thats the problem with all these grants, people are abusing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

The as mentions at the end the total cost and the grants availed of.

what I think is off though id her price per sq metre. She never factors in the initial purchase cost of the house. Which would near double the cost per sq metre. A different value then altogether.

all in all i wish them well in life with their new home and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Surely there's a simple checks and balances process for approving these grants.

Although I wouldn't be remotely surprised if there wasn't. They probably just check the date of construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭User567363

Is there systems in place to report grant fraud, why do we have to pay for white teeth to show off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Had a look at the planning permission for the house, retention permission was only granted last week, 11 Jan 2024. Applied for last Nov.

The previous owner also applied for retention permission prior to selling it in September 2022.

Sold €303k, asking price €250k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

Won't worry, there will be meeting in the Civil Service and The Controller and Auditor General.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

well if you look at the beginning of the show Dermot himself was the one suggesting and outlining these grants on a spreadsheet. He suggested them. He also was on the front of the Sunday Indo yesterday for seeking clarification from the Department about these grants (or one in particular) https://evoke.ie/2024/01/14/entertainment/dermot-bannon-show-meeting

So he's definitely covering himself in a very public way about these grants and if there is any blame it has to be the Housing Department/Councils who are sanctioning them. You can't blame people for being advised to apply for them and for getting them. I'd be applying if I was advised to. Its huge money. I think the Government is throwing buckets of money at the building sector for the simple reason they want house built, whatever way it takes. They are making it easy. Pity they wouldn't do something about British investment banks hoovering up entire housing estates for ordinary people who don't go on these show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Are they making it easy? From what I've heard, the grants are a bit of a nightmare to get.

I think the reason why Dermot is all over the news / making so much noise about this is because couples that he has advised, haven't yet or probably won't get them.

From the first two episodes, I think the show & Dermot has been very reckless in the advice given. I think they are trying to "make better" now by causing a fuss about the grants process.

I'm taking this from a third party but someone said that retention planning permission for last night's house was only granted earlier this month. The QS said they had "got" the grants at the house reveal. I would be 99.9% sure they hadn't got any grant at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Dermot still should have know about the grant. Ignorance of the law is no defence. It is a vacant property refurbishment grant. The derelict home grant is for homes that were vacant for 2 years, you are supposed to show 2 years ESB bills to help prove that. That house was obviously being lied in, with the family photos, coat hanging on back of door etc. At 303k it was a fine house, with radiators etc. Probably better than the average house in rural Ireland, it did sell for 303k after all. It was neither vacant nor der

elict. Fine if they want to give it energy upgrade grants etc but to give it derelict house and vacant property refurbishment grants is simply fraudulent.

There was a lot of money involved. Almost 100k in grants. That takes the rest of us 200k to earn.

I hope the grant money is repaid and people should be punished for fraudulent behaviour.

100%. And when people are blatant enough to show this on tv, there could be worse fraud suspected of going on too in respect to these grants. I know of an employee of the council somewhere building a fancy new home where a cottage used to be, and he kept just one wall. If he getting every grant under the sun too? Nudge nudge wink wink. Duuno how he could afford it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

No electricity is not a requirement, know that from a family application ongoing at the moment, but it's obvious from the actual bills that no one is living there, bare minimum of a bit of heat on to stop deterioration so extremely low usage. Disconnecting it would just be more awkward and costly to reconnect again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

The woman lost her mother and a child in the space of 3 years.

She used the grants available to anyone thats eligible (that Dermot probably told them about, lets be honest. I would say he filled out the paperwork and all).

Yet in here we have people sneering her hair, tan and teeth, while they probably idolise sports people and celebrities.

Good christ this place is toxic as hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree that nobody should be talking about how the couple looks - thats wrong.

However there are couples all over the country who are finding it difficult to get approval for derelict and vacant home grants - they are literally tearing there hair out with the strict criteria of the schemes. Based on the house we seen last night that couple should not have qualified for neither the derelict home or vacant home grant as it was neither derelict or vacant. Is Dermots clients getting special treatment or were we misled about the grants they availed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Essentially did they pay 300k for a site? Would it not have worked out much cheaper to get a green field site outside of Cashel and design the same house?

I feel like they were blinded by the view when buying the property. Lovely couple though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

300k for a site. The more ya think about it Crazy.

Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What was lovely on last night's show was just how excited the couple, in particular the lady, was about the renovation and the progress. Every time they went to the site she was beaming and so happy and excited. My heart broke for them when they lost their baby and I can't imagine how it must have been a bittersweet moment when they moved into the house.

However their champagne tastes didn't seem to align with their more lemonade budget. After already being told they are over budget they are enquiring can they get a home gym put in the shed, get the grounds landscaped. Personally I didn't like the furniture in the house, but that's just my personal taste.

I take it that on RTI that when someone says their budget is X, it really means it's X + €50k/€100k. I can understand going a little over if you are unsure what things cost or if there are price increases or unforeseens. But if I engaged an architect to design a renovation for €250k, I don't want the plans for a €325k job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

No he's not. But sure the good dead on national television. Best advertisment for his business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭marilynrr

The whole point was that they wanted the view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

300k for a view is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pity the government wouldn't throw buckets of money at the thousands of home owners in Donegal, Mayo and beyond to get their crumbling homes fixed.

They created a scheme that is next to impossible to access, with Donegal County Council asking for so many hoops to be jumped through before you can move through each stage of the process. People have been in it for a few years and are basically no further forward to getting their homes fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems that you are right:

Proof that the property is vacant. Utility bills can be used to show that a property has been vacant at a particular time. If you can’t get utility bills for the property, you can provide a signed affidavit stating that the property has been vacant for at least 2 years. Your local authority may accept other documents that prove the property is vacant.

It also says

The grant must be approved before any work begins.

Well that most certainly isnt the case in this weeks or last weeks episode.

Correct. Dermot said last night it was practically a new build and the Quantity Surveyor Claire said " "Its essentially a brand-new build here for €1972 per sq.m "

Why is the taxpayer giving over 98,000 towards a brand new build for this particular couple?

Other people in the country are not being allowed take off rooves and knock walls of perfectly good 1970's bungalows and rebuild them while getting grands for a vacant house and derelict house. The house was neither vacant or derelict?

Fraud if you ask me, plain and simple.

+1. They had family photos, toys, bale of briquettes, clothes, bath shampoos , flowers , electricity etc around the house, it looked lived in and do neighbours not say it was lived in within the 2 years / should not have qualified for the grants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lovely couple, obviously dealing with a few hearbreaking events and making the best of what they had.

That said, essentially it was 300K for a site but thats yet another issue with our failed planning system I would suggest.

I am not sure about Tipp but I know in Galway is is ridiculously difficult to get planning permission on a site, there are a significant number of hoops to jump through, including the housing need test which is difficult to pass if you already have a house. It's "easier" buy an old house and remodel etc

In general they spent a tonne of money on the house - closee to 600 K all in, a few miles out from the village on a road I doubt you could walk on, granted a decent view. If they could afford it and are happy - thats sound.

Not sound when the taxpayer gives them over €98,000 they should not have got for what their quantity surveyor and architects hails as a "new build".

The grants are not for new builds.

As someone else said " It was pretty obvious that they were still living in the house. All their belongings were still there - even photos. No way they would leave photos to get damp in an unlived in house. The nonsense of them moving in with the sister before they had even discussed plans was for TV."

It takes the rest of us 200k to make 98 or 99k net.

Fine looking house in the listing, not bad at all, certainly not what I would call derelict and so qualify for a derelict grant!

According to the property price register it was only sold on 15/09/2022.

And elsewhere in the country people are going through loops to show no electricity useage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Sunjava

There is clearly some backhanded moves here...if that's derelict, so are half the house in the country. Strange to be so open about it.

Advertisement