Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2024

Options

Comments

I think you have to get a guy like Ahern into the squad. We don't have 6ft 9 guys with his athleticism growing on trees, and he looks a cert to be involved over the next cycle, so get him in and used to systems, expectations etc.

My prediction for our 37 man squad (using the same composition as last year's squad is as follows):

Props (6): Tadgh Furlong, Finlay Bealham, Tom O'Toole, Andrew Porter, Jeremy Loughman, Cian Healy

Hookers (3): Dan Sheehan, Ronan Kelleher, Rob Herring

Locks (4): James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne, Joe McCarthy, Iain Henderson

Back Row (7): Caelan Doris, Josh van der Flier, Peter O'Mahony, Jack Conan, Ryan Baird, Tom Ahern, Cian Prendergast

Scrum Halves (3): Jamison Gibson Park, Craig Casey, Caolin Blade

Out Halves (3): Jack Crowley, Ciaran Frawley, Ross Byrne

Centres (4): Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart McCloskey

Back Three (7): Hugo Keenan, James Lowe, Calvin Nash, Jacob Stockdale, Jordan Larmour, Shane Daly, Shayne Bolton

On the groupings, I don't see a viable alternative to Cian Healy, especially as there are concerns still around Loughman. It won't surprise me if Healy benched in Marseille.

Tom Stewart might push Herring out, but can't see it just yet. Still concerns around his scrummaging etc, and Herring is still the better player IMO.

I've picked the back row I think he'll select - it's useful as Ahern and Baird can also cover lock. I wouldn't personally select effectively four blindsides, and would give a spot to one of Timoney or Hodnett.

Not 100% sure obviously he'll move on from Murray - but his form has been poor. Nathan Doak isn't playing enough and isn't playing well enough to justify inclusion yet (unless as a development player), so Blade is probably next up if they move on from Murray.

Equally - there aren't a whole host of 10 options. No idea what way he'll go there.

I've taken a bolter in the back three in Bolton - but I really struggled to fill out 7 back three places and think he has a kind of abrasive style that Farrell will like. He's been playing very well and is still very young. Makes absolute sense to me to bring him and get a better look at him. He deserves the spot ahead of Baloucoune right now IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Herring is likely out of the 6N. McFarland said he expects he needs surgery on the arm injury he picked up last week in training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Herring might miss out on being named, just by dint of the fact he's injured at the moment and likely to miss the start of the 6N's.

EDIT: What Buer said.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think you you need to put an imo there. It's basically a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if any connacht back 3 gets in as a bolter is Kilgallon over bolton for me.

Bolton has less than 500 mins of pro under his belt at 23 years of age.

I agree - I think Kilgallen's form (and impressive athletic characteristics) had him trending towards the squad, but think he's long term injured?

There was a report in December that he's out for "months" with a hamstring injury.

It's the most stacked position in the Irish squad. Ahern looks great but who do you drop? You've got Ryan, Beirne, Baird, Henderson and McCarthy.

The only one you could think of dropping would be McCarthy but he's looked great when he's been given time on the field and he's only 21.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You are putting Baird and Ahern in the back row? No room for Coombes?

• Advertisement

Baird is a backrower, and was named as one in last year's squad.

I don't see a case for Coombes - he's been in the last few squads, but ultimately missed out, and his form is poorer this season than previously (albeit he was good on Saturday in Toulon).

If it's a straight call between Ahern and Coombes, I would pick Ahern as the higher potential player (and think Farrell would too).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Scrum half is an issue. Park and Casey are the frontrunner. Then it's who? Doak is not doing it,atm. Cooney is not favoured and Blade is not good enough.

I'd trust Loughman. He's been very good. Boyle is still a good bit away and I doubt he's going to get capped for a year or so.

Timoney has been brilliant. I think he makes the wider squad at the very least. Hodnett has been great too. Then there's Connors? Would anyone be shocked if he's selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sale blaming dirty ice for the illness that affected their trip to SA

I don't disagree that Timoney, Hodnett and Connors have been good - but obviously all can't be included, because it's a given JVDF will be. He won't go from selecting only one openside in a RWC squad to selecting four in a 6N squad.

There's also a question of space - if he selects 7 backrowers, who do you think doesn't make the cut from the following:

Josh van der Flier, Peter O'Mahony, Caelan Doris, Jack Conan, Ryan Baird - all in the RWC squad

We're very deep in terms of back row options, and realistically the majority will be there for the next RWC too (only likely exceptions are POM and possibly Jack Conan).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Alternatively, I would say one of the takeaways from the world cup was probably that only bringing one 7 was a mistake.

Yeah, I agree with this. As I said, if it was my squad, I'd include one of Hodnett or Timoney (probably Hodnett).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

For anyone that wants to keep up to date with results next weekend or use it to forecast the Top16. From RugbyKino and Justin Deegan (a former poster here)

You must save the file to your own Google Docs before attempting to amend it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't see why Timoney would be selected.

Yea he's been good but he's had his chance and test rugby is above his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I really like Timoney to be honest, fabulous athlete. Wouldn't complain about him getting picked, even over the likes of Coombes or Hodnett.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Round 4 FTA picks

Sat 3:15pm Racing v Cardiff S4C

5:30pm Munster v Northampton RTE2

Sun 1pm Sale v La Rochelle ITV1

European Challenge Cup

Fri 8pm Scarlets v Edinburgh S4C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

As insightful as ever.

As a fellow Ulsterman and Ulster fan, Awec, I understand the doom and gloom. I understand the cynicism.

But being wide of the mark in a pessimistic way is just as inaccurate as being wide of the mark in an overly optimistic way.

You didn't really understand what Farrell thinks or wants, I don't think. The fact that you're not over-hyping our players doesn't change that.

Still wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why wouldn't he make it? Consistently playing very well, despite playing under MacFarland! That alone gives him an edge, lol.

I rate him. He's got speed and I think has a more rounded style than in the past. It's important to remember that the lad He's trying to move is probably our best ever openside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It’s mad how many permutations there are going into tomorrow. A real strength of this format, every team has something to play for right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Toulon finish bottom of their group having lost all 4 of their pool games.

They're a shadow of the side that won three European Cups in a row.

Watch for them becoming serious challengers in the next three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They have a decent squad too which is more surprising

Connacht prob prefer a Saracens win now tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If the TMO just answered the refs questions instead of insisting that the ref look at footage on the big screen (which wasn't being shown), then that yellow card would have been issued very quickly (Quins v Ulster match).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Quins must be getting near YC territory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ulster should really have scored in that attack

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Eh, didn't look like Smith was anywhere near where he called the mark there, no?

Edit: maybe alright actually.

Ulster need to pay attention.

Quin's getting away with murder at the breakdown, especially in their 22. Reckon they'll get another yellow if not careful.

Advertisement