Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye I don't mess around, on it like a car bonnet, not my hearse anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭brookers

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

Just back from walking the dog. Says it's 1° here in Carlow but feels a lot colder.

I'd love a bit of sneachta 😭

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've been posting on this forum for about 20 years or more and in all those years I have never spend as long chasing a cold spell with all the ups and downs only to end up with very little indeed other than a night or 2 of frost. Cold spells have gone bust many times before but this has to be up there with 2012 for being so bitterly disappointing considering what we could have had and the fact that it was a 3 week hunt.

Since late October Scandinavia for the most part has been in deep cold so we had a cold pool often serious cold pool not that far away and by this time next week it will be gone with mild weather over the entire continent including Scandinavia. Such wasted potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not really. Irelands weather is completely influenced by the Atlantic and always has been. Any snow we get is generally very short lived as the Atlantic influence dominates.

Most Winters we are lucky to see a morning or two of snow perhaps a few more up here in the Northwest.

So it's not really a surprise that all these promised spells go bust. Also the colours on a lot of those charts can be highly misleading. E.g it shows the same level of blue on the GFS over areas beside 1000s of km of ocean as it does to European countries with mainly dry continental climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Went outside at 12.00vand found thick ice on the car. We're doomed I tell you.....doomed. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Make the most of this cold snap and any wintry sunshine that comes with it , because we will be soaked and windswept for a long time to come after it ends.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

I know this cold spell will lift some of my depression 🫥 especially as I suffer with the winter depression as well so although it's gonna be cold I don't care I can soak up that sun it's good for everyone's head not just mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Snowing away up east coast road heading Glenarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Aperge with small amounts from now until the mild sector arrives across the north during tuesday

After it clears more meaningful snow appears Tuesday evening in the NW, Wednesday and a good chunk of Connacht sees action on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

One thing I noticed has gone in the last few years, the polar air we used to get with heavy wintery showers blowing through after a cold front passed through and sometimes you'd get heavy snow for a time in those showers even far south, from a bitter north west or even westerly wind. We just do not see that phenomenon anymore. The cold sector to our west and nwest has gone. Anyway this spell has been a real non event and from the weekend, very mild drab wet windy crap into February. Roll on summer.

Woke up to a dusting outside.

GFS has a snow event for Leinster next Saturday night/sunday.

UKMO severe storm south west at the end of run

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Knock AP reporting snow shower/0c at 0700.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

-3 in Naas this morning. No breeze so it doesn't feel as cold.

Pity the cold spell won't last long. Its a pain when North America gets the severe cold we end up getting punished with wet mild days.

Clare (410ft asl)

6am report

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Cheers Wolf, nice map. Interesting little cold pockets, particularly around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep a right pain Lucreto. Hopefully we’ll have a longer lasting cold spell in February that will deliver snow more widely. A NE wind would be my ideal direction for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I am the weather man at work. I have been in 5 minutes and have been asked twice if we are to get snow.

They didn't like the idea to being back to the wind and rain by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Currently -1.5C here south of Cork city, got down to a low of -2.6C at 8:30am this morning which is decent going for this spot.

As I have said before I am not too disappointed by the way this has panned out especially when I saw it was going to be a northerly and we know what they are like for snow in the south. We really need an easterly and even last week's slight easterly gave some falling, but not sticking snow, so the real deal can deliver. Northwesterlies don't really cut it either down here unless you are further west of the city, take last Feb, light dusting west of the city and decent snow down in West Cork.

My only gripe is I would liked it to last longer with no mild interruptions like tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful sunrise this morning.

Don't forget to feed the birds during those cold spell. They need water too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Clare (410ft asl)

Some pics from Ulster

OMAGH

DUNGANNON

GLENSHANE, DERRY

GREENHAW, DERRY

Newtownabbey, Antrim

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

It's always a great reminder to see that Ireland can still actually produce snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Low of -2.1c here in South tipp. Smashing winters morning with the sun popping it's head over the hills now

Clare (410ft asl)

A bit of an upgrade regarding risk area for snow later in the week. Wednesday into Thursday remains the most likely period for snow to fall in areas outside of Ulster. A less mild 'mild sector' tomorrow improves snow potential for the cold from moving down from the north.

The latest GFS 'current' snow cover chart is top and the overnight run is bottom.

Wednesday night into Thursday morning looks like it will be the coldest night of the week.

Thursday night will be the coldest night of the week in Ulster

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

Advertisement