Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭bren2001

Youre referring to the effective increase in gross wages in 2024 only. How much on average your monthly pay check will increase.

The other poster is referring to the difference between your gross salary on your point on the scale between January 1st 2024 and 2025.

It’s blatantly clear what you both mean. You are both right. How you choose to interpret the results is what’s subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I did refer to this in a previous post. On 1st January 2025 the gross wage of public servants will be 3.53% higher but because the increases are split up (with 2% arriving in October for just three months of the year) the overall increase in gross income for 2024 will be 1.75%.

And deub said 1.75% is correct. What clarification are you looking for in relation to 3.53%? You said you don’t know where it is coming from?

Personally, I don’t really care what the effective increase in 2024 is. I only care about the headline figure. I’ve 30+ years to go and I’m thinking about the long term stuff not the next 12 or 24 months. Other people will have different priorities.

1.75% effective in 2024 is poor, I agree. It wouldn’t sway how I vote. If we got an improved offer of 10% or 12% with no change in the 2024 breakdown, it wouldn’t bother me.

I know where Deub got his 3.53% figure from. I'll change that text.

If you're happy with an extra 1.75% in income in 2024 when inflation is far higher than that then what you're stating is that you're happy to take a pay cut because that's exactly what it is.

And this is a substantial pay cut because whilst inflation is only lower at the present time than it was as prices shot up in 2022 across the economy and have not fallen. We have lower inflation on top of 2022 headline inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Remember that ANY pay increse you get, you give a huge portion straight back to your employer.

If that sneaky bollocks, Paschal, can say that tax breaks are part of the pay deal then he can accept that, whatever they offer, he gets half back

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Yep, I’m aware of the implications.

If you offered me 9% from January 1st 2024 with nothing until January 2026. Or 10% on December 31st 2025 and nothing until then, I’d take the later as it’s 1% more over the next 30+ years for me plus pension.*

Im not overly interested or concerned in breaking even with inflation with every paycheck. If by the end of the deal we are neutral with inflation (inclusive of the outstanding 6.5%), I’ll be happy. By inclusive I mean, my gross salary on the very last day of the deal.

Thats for me and my circumstances. It would not be the opinion of many.

*obviously my example is extreme and one I would have to strongly consider. I pick an outlandish example to demonstrate the point. The exact percentages are irrelevant. That deal would also weaken the next set of negotiations.

It wouldn’t be 50% as not everyone is on the higher rate of tax.

I would like to think in the forecasts by the unions on any deal, this is outlined and taken into account. I assume they have a rule of thumb to calculate it.

Ive seen nothing to suggest it is or it isn’t factored in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Deub

I agree with bren2001’s thinking. I also would add, the increase needs to be fair for everyone. There is no reason for public pay to match inflation and then some more when the private sector increase is far from matching inflation. The same way, I wouldn’t think it is fair for public servant to get 0.5% increase if private sector is getting 3%. We are all on the same boat during good times but also bad times.

This is not the case according to IBEC.

They state the following:

"According to the Pay Trends report, 82% of respondents are planning to increase pay in 2024 with an average increase of 3.8%, while 84% of respondents increased basic pay rates in 2023, with an average increase of 4.4%, slightly higher than forecasted in last year’s survey (3.82%)."

An average increase of 3.8% in the private sector (matching the current inflation rate) in 2024 according to IBEC - over double the increase that public servants are being offered in 2024. Furthermore in other areas the government are offering increases in the Jobseekers Allowance of nearly four times greater than they are offering public sector workers. They have also legislated to increase the minimum wage by 12.3% in 2024.

The article is a survey published in Oct 23. The reality could be different.

• Advertisement

Is that 3.8% on day one of the year? I assume it’s 3.8% comparing the gross salary on the 1st of January 2024 to 2025 (on average).

The IBEC report says pay increases not a 3.8% increase in the wage budget for the year. I’ll admit I have not read the entire document so will take your word.

If you want to say the public sector increase is 1.75% this year, then you have to apply the same methodology to the private sector.

Well we don't know when rises in the private sector occur. We do know that they gain extra benefits (bonuses etc....) which are not available in the public sector.

Why on earth would we take pay advice from late capitalist industry, which has spent the decades since Reagan/Thatcher consolidating wealth in the upper leves?

Instead of using each other to, voluntarily, beat our each sectors wages downward, the private sector workers could just as easily look to our good deal and demand their fair share of the wealth which they are generating.

They've been so successfully in pitching private Vs public that we all ignore that we're all just Workers and should be supportive of each and all.

If I were working for DPER I would fecking love this thread. And were I in the union team I'd despair at some of the discourse

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

But that’s the point. The effective pay increase for the public sector is 1.75%. The 12 month increase in salary is 3.5% under the rejected deal (I don’t know how better to phrase that).

The 12 month increase in salary is 3.8% in the private sector. The only valid comparison with this number is 3.5% and the 1.75% is effectively irrelevant unless you can calculate the effective wage increase in my opinion.

I think the 1.75% outrage is justified but I don’t see the relevance of contrasting it with the IBEC figure as they have different underlying assumptions. It’s very easy to sell it when you compare it to the 6.5% we are already out of pocket.

1. it is a survey, not a commitment
    2. published in October so questions were asked few weeks before that and it was about 2024 so up to 15 month in the future. My company was optimistic early 2022 about the future and by end of year, there was layoff.

We can use historical data and compare cumulative pay increase for both sectors during that time to see who has it better. By the way, I don’t know who had it better and it may be private sector.

It is a nice concept but it is only that; a concept. The reality is different.

The reality is that we shouldn't be using the private sector wage supression to voluntarily supress our own.

It is not the reality but your opinion.

Let’s imagine it is the case and public pay is 3 times higher than private pay. Would you be happy if your children could only get a 2 bed house with 1hr commute from their jobs in private sector when someone with the same competences in public sector could afford buying a 4 bed house in a better location? Would you tell them it is a fair situation?

That’s not exactly the future I would like for next generations. It would just divide more people and when you see the crazy and untrue stories some anti public sector people are mentioning on this thread…

Then the private sector would join unions and collectively bargin.

We should be using our positions to raise eachother not benchmark down like the dumbest turkey voting for Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hmmmm, not so sure I’d trust IBEC and their stats on something like this. IBEC will spin stats to suit their agenda, part of which is to lobby the Government in ways to benefit their members such as ensuring profits are as high as possible and public spending remains as low as possible.

Even their members would have motivation to under report increases in wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which turned out to be about as useful as tits on a bull.

We still lost out 6.5-7% over the last 'deal'

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭CZ 453

What day are the talks supposed to resume this week? Or has this not been organised yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah , many I know lost out on more. I was happy they revisited the deal that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

I don't think they've given a day publicly yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭howiya

One of the articles I read last week said "early next week" so maybe tomorrow

Ah nice, yeah we woulda heard today and Wed isn’t early week haha

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0115/1426581-isme-on-pay-talks/. When you are so obviously biased what’s the point someone asking your opinion.

• Advertisement

RTÉ at it again. Every time there's public pay disputes you can guarantee coverage, like this.

Same when the nurses did their last. RTÉ constantly on with patient families about how it was impacting them, when those issues were systemic and exactly WHY they were having the action.

Advertisement