Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not the new system that is throwing up an unsolvable problem.

It's the people who are insisting that the new system can work alongside bin collection and both can return your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Can you link me to a system that achieves the requisite recycling rate for plastic/aluminium containers that isn't the RVM? I'd be fascinated to see what you've found.

As per the consultation document: "The DRS study concludes that there is no evidence to suggest that the current system could be enhanced to reliably achieve a 90% separate collection rate and that DRS is considered to be the only feasible way to achieve the 90% target"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Fook the statistics, its all just random numbers and gobbledy gook anyway XD not even worth looking into.

As for un-returned deposits, i had initially assumed its the shop that benefits from that (their extra extra bit of profit for doing the scheme). But after looking into it more it turns out that shops get reimbursed for returned deposits so it doesnt really make any sense to me. A Bit puzzling but there's definitely money to made. i highly doubt re-turn are doing all this for the good of their health, or for brownie points with environmentalists. They're a paid private company funded with the intention of getting the recycling numbers up, but really to me it looks more like a cash grab to try horn in on the action of private bin companies already collecting and selling recyclables. They want a slice of their action, and they only want the good stuff! hence plastic bottles and cans only. And they don't want the bother of separating and they don't want any damage on the tins or bottles, they're really asking for alot.

And punish people with keeping their deposit if they still decide to use their own recycling bin. The whole thing honestly feels like a scam, and they're getting the public to do the foot work. No real profit or fun incentive to get people doing this recycling favor for them at all. only profit i can see is if you swipe or find someone else's empties. Also it does'nt seem to help in theory with making the streets cleaner, the idea is people dont want to lose their deposit and will return their stuff, but some people are just too lazy or dont care, and also if they are did care enough but normally dont, then if their tin/bottle is damaged it gives them more reason to discard it in the street anyway because of this scheme only accepting undamaged stuff.

if the scheme was willing to accept damaged stuff, then atleast some loser like me could go around the streets and pick up any bottles i find discarded and get rewarded for it with the deposits.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

VERY TRUE! its alot of risk and effort with little reward at the end of the day.

i hope i don't cut my hands for nothing, for it to not work after putting in all that effort lol

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've decided I'm going to stop complaining and get on board with this scheme since we're stuck with it, and make it my mission to never give a cent to this organisation if I can help it.

With that in mind I've started adding the RVMs to Google Maps so others will be able to find them when their nearest is inevitably busy or full or out of order, if anyone would like to help. Just set the name to "Re-Turn Reverse Vending Machine", category to "Recycling drop-off location", set Located In to the supermarket and don't worry about the address and pin that's easy to change after, just get those other details right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Re-Turn are a not for profit firm, they cannot make a profit for anyone.

The scope of the scheme being bottles and cans was defined by the Government, not Re-Turn.

The not taking damaged stuff is to stop people arguing with shop staff about something with a damaged barcode; slightly damaged stuff will probably work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of course it is, one of the problems that has been created is that if people continue to recycle responsibility like the majority have been they will now be penalised for doing so and not incentivised like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Unfortunately as this company is partially funded by suppliers the only way to completely avoid funding it is by not buying their goods. However, minimising this contribution is certainly positive action👍

18 minutes by car, so 36 minute round trip?

This is for the environment right?

Good thing they can coordinate it with going to the shop anyway meaning no additional carbon increase as they're driving anyway.

• Advertisement

Not for profit, or non-profit does'nt mean what alot of people here seem to think it means. Even with charities, this is a common scam (or misunderstanding of wording) that people often fall for. it doesnt mean "they gain nothing from it". Very misunderstood and misleading buzzword/phrase.

All non-profit, or not for profit means, is that the company are not selling a product or giving you anything in return for the money or items you give them.

it means YOU don't profit from giving them anything.

And yeah the goverment wants specific target goals reached, so they paid re-turn to carry this out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

The poster is specifically adding them to maps for instances " when their nearest is inevitably busy or full or out of order". They'll only find this out by driving to their nearest machine first so if they then drive to a second destination there will be an increase in their carbon footprint.

Good point, exactly! it's not for environment at all. it's for 2 specific things:

1) to drive up recycling numbers and statistics. basically for eu brownie points and for the government to take credit for the rest of the peoples actions, recycling.

2) to put the cans/bottles/profitables directly into THEIR hands, instead of the hands of the bin company who just sell it anyway

A not for profit means that the company isn't run with the sole intention of making a profit like a private company. From an organisation point of view, nobody owns it and there are no shareholders. Hence, there are no dividends to be paid. They are permitted to keep "profits" but they are invested back into the company themselves.

Not for profits are not ubiquitously a scam. Some of course are. Plenty are not. They can pay bonuses, compensate their staff, and must be able to clean their own face. I see no reason to be skeptical of Re-Turn. They've literally only started operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Why do you insist on a seperate journey? Why not do it during your trip for the weekly shop or when you're passing by on your way to work or visiting friends and family?

Much better for the environment you claim to care so much about

Not particularly, unlike those opposed to the system I find constantly repeating myself to be a bit of a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How is the 90% rate achievable when tinned food containers and plastic milk/food containers are excluded from the scheme? These make up far more than 10% of such recyclable items in each household.

And Boggles is immediately saying the next one is 18 minutes away. Its a single data point and he's intentionally interpreting the pciture to suit his agenda. I will drive by several to get to the shops when I go shopping. Down the country, this will be different but of course people wont be making massive journeys to drop off these containers if they have a normal shopping routine. Its not worth the effort.

Boggles refusal to acknowledge many/the majority of people will be visiting the RVMs when they are doing their routine shop is tiring. Of course, the total number of car journeys will increase but nowhere near what he is suggesting.

They litrelly just want the recycleables so the bin men dont get it and sell it, they want to be in possession of it so they can profit from it instead. and also so they can account/drive up the recycled units numbers. And they dont even have to seperate or clean the bottles or anything. They have the public doing all the footwork, and theres no financial incentive for the public in terms of profit for the public to do this, we're essentially being forced to co-operate or risk losing our pre-paid desposit on the items. essentially taxing people that just wanna continue to recycle at home as they already have been.

Not sure how anyone can say thats not a scam.

How have the trial places been able to offer some incentive to people, like a voucher to spend instore then, if the feb 1st Re-Turn cant do it? why would there be incentive in trial runs if theres no profit for them?

I'm not insisting on anything.

The reality is this is going to cause extra journeys. I know this for fact as I already explained to you.

Now you can keep disingenuously claiming it won't, I don't care. If you spend your valuable time playing make believe, that's above my skill set to try and fix.

The user penetration rate in the Grocery Delivery market is estimated to be 26.9% in 2024. In Ireland, grocery delivery services have experienced a surge in demand due to the convenience and safety they offer amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

That is above 1 in 4 homes.

Greenhouse gas emissions contribute to climate change because they trap heat in the environment. Additionally, greenhouse gasses increase smog and pollution, which triggers and worsens respiratory issues in people and animals.

Online shopping emits up to 2.9 times fewer greenhouse gas emissions than in-person shopping.

So this has fúck all to do with the environment, it's another one of those schemes for the happy clappy seals who think it is for the environment and will dismiss all reason when it is explained to them that it really isn't.

It's pure theatre.

We have seen it all before.

• Advertisement

exactly, they're just doing it on "their own terms" and they're calling all the shots and making the rules, seems highly unfair and clearly obvious that they're doing this for the money, and not for the enviroment. They dont want the bother of cleaning, and they don't (or cant) get tinned foods and milk companies on board with this "pay us to put our logo on your bottles" thingy mabob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is the new scheme that is the problem. Insufficient thought has been put into integrating into the existing system.

This is about bean counting and little else.

if it makes any difference, i'll be going on foot. And not only is it will has can boggles the mind, but also will be boggling my feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Again, the scope was defined by the Government, not Re-Turn.

You have a very basic, very shallow understanding of this and are just making stuff up to fill in the blanks. Ditto for your complete and utter misunderstanding of what non-profits are.

A trial isn't quite needed because it has been shown to run effectively in other countries. We are not reinventing the wheel, we are copy and pasting a solution from elsewhere. There will be teething problems and a transition period.

Re-Turn want the bottles and cans so that Ireland can comply with the EU directive on single use plastics. The RVM method was determined to be the most suitable for it. Re-Turn was setup to run this. Part of their funding model is to use the money generated from recycling the materials to fund themselves. It was determined that kerbside collection would not be able to meet our requirements.

Its not a "money grab" by Re-Turn but yes, everyone will end up paying for this both directly and indirectly. Nobody will get all of their deposits back and bin charges will increase.

What exactly about this is a scam? Who benefits from the scam? Specifically, what person or group of people benefit? There's no shareholders so the profits won't be going anywhere. I could see how its a scam if there were a group of people who enjoy the profits but there isn't.

I've explained and proven to you how it won't cause extra car journeys. Yet you keep on insisting that it will, and that's litterally the definition of insisting on something! If you can't be bothered to read or understand it can't be the problem of others

I wouldn't be bothered with that. The re-turn website has a "coming soon" map already. When it goes live it could be easier and faster for somebody with tech know-how to take that map and plaster it on google maps

Hospitality has 2 exemptions. They do not need to offer take-back facilities and if the container stays on the premises they do not need to charge the deposit to the customer

I suspect most of the industry will be availing of these exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is nothing we can do right now to stop this scheme proceeding.

Can we just for now park the idea that deposit refunds can be given for bin collected recyclables ?

If someone comes up with a workable solution fair play to them, I'm all ears.

• Advertisement

I've explained and proven to you how it won't cause extra car journeys.

You proved in the same way that re-turn has proved this will be convenient for everyone and cost neutral.

Like I said people will be believe any old lies if it makes them feel like the best boy in the class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement