Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Look, no-one knows the future. All I'm saying is you can't write off someone who has clearly fashioned opportunity out of adversity. And the big industry players don't hand out opportunities for fun or charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Your attempt to shift the narrative on Tubridy is beginning to smack of desperation. Kelly is a very good agent and will try to get the best deal possible for his clients but the damage to Tubridy's value has been significant. He has gone from being one of RTE's most highly paid presenters to being a presenter on a UK radio station with approximately 3% market share. There is, of course, the Q102 etc syndication deal that is keeping him active in the Irish market. The reality is that he is now working for a fraction of the salary he was getting in RTE and RTE has successfully replaced him on the LLS with a more popular presenter who seems to be doing a much better job.

The contract that Bakhurst was offering had the 150K being paid back over the duration of the contract. The fact that Turbridy will work for much less than what RTE offered may have ramifications for other RTE contractors. His value to a broadcaster has, as a result of his Virgin Radio job, set a lower baseline and that will be used in any negotiation.

The other RTE presenters will come under pressure, due to Tubridy's willingness to work for less, when their contracts are up for renegotiation. The offers weren't coming over the phone for the Ryanstone Cowboy, to use Terry Prone's apt phrase, when he was dumped by RTE. As Tubridy demonstrated, he needed RTE more than RTE needed him. Once Dee Forbes and the previous RTE management people departed, Tubridy's value to RTE, and as a presenter, seemed to collapse. Would you agree?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For sure, I'd agree that he got off his ass and went and got work rather than let it get on top of him. You have got to say fair play to him for that. Considering how much he'd have told his listeners over the years that he was a home bird, loved Ireland, didn't want to live anywhere else, and how often he criticised the British, was hard to see him living there.

But hey, he's there now. It's a massive upheaval in the life of a 50 Yr old, never mind a younger person. It's like starting again.

But I maintain he HAD to do it, as there wasn't any real offers coming in in Ireland. Better to work than do nothing.

But I still think he'll be looking for a quick return to Ireland. KB has already said the doors not closed at rte for him.

And finally, if I was to guess, I'd say he would much rather be earning the 170k to do 5 morning programmes on rte radio 1, plus the odd podcast, than whatever he is earning now in London.

• Hearing Tubsidy is living in the neighbourhood and enjoys taking his walks and stumbling upon celebrities, Paul McCartney will surely have installed new security measures.

• Advertisement

I'm very sure it's unintentional, but using terms like "shift the narrative" and "desperation" makes it sound like you're coming from a conspiratorial mindset. I'm just dealing with the facts.

Tubridy (and plenty of others) got the best deal he could get from RTE, in the market at the time, from the management that existed at the time. The situation has clearly changed for all - that's life.

With his successful career, he's obviously a wealthy man - while he's most likely not being paid legacy RTE wages now, basic common sense would tell you that it has to be financially worth his while to move to an affluent part of London at 50 years of age and kickstart a band new chapter of a career. These notions that he's living in poverty in exile with the hope that one day all will be forgiven is, frankly, laughable. Successful people just don't operate like that. They move forward. There were people claiming earlier in the thread that he was paying Virgin Radio UK for his slot! I mean, that's just out-and-out delusional.

Most people in his position would have settled for early retirement. Maybe write a memoir. But he's leaning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Great post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That'd be a great post if it was for a 28 year old Tubridy and if NK didn't bear some responsibility for cooking up a wonky payment for his client and putting in an awful representation for Ryan in front of the Committee.

Back in May 15th (only 9 months ago) in The Examiner in an interview about his decision to leave TLL he said he wasn't "retiring, he was re-wiring". He wanted to get out of the lime light and maybe explore the world of Podcasting in the subjects he enjoyed such as books, trains and politics.

And he said this...

I tuned in for a couple of minutes this morning and he was reading out celebrity birthdays. On a 3 hour show. From London.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's two talk/news content stations in the same buiding (Talk Radio and Times Radio), there is zero chance they'd pay for a music presenter to cover an election when those two will be costing piles anyway.

We all have those times, especially as the years turn to decades, where we want to jack in our careers. I was like that as recently as November. Quit the office job and do something "fulfilling" with my time. I soon shook it off, and I realised that my job - oftentimes boring as it is - provides very well for my family, and allows me to pursue my personal interests in my own time. And in fact, it's up to me to find ways to make my job fulfilling, which I am now actively doing. I've met 3 people over the past few months that left my company and regretted it; "The grass isn't greener..." is what each of them said.

I've no specific insight, but maybe once RTE forced his hand, Tubridy realised "the grass isn't greener..." in terms of the industry. There's a lot to be said for succeeding in what you know and do well. The travel and the podcasts can always happen later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

has had opportunity fashioned for him. Why its interesting is to see to what extent his success down to his talent, or was it down to having people continually tell us he was talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

His success or failure in London doesn't hang on a boards.ie thread. If this doesn't work out for him in the real world, watch the spinning in the media.

If you believe that, you'll have to explain exactly what makes him so special (other than talent) that opportunity is constantly handed to him.

Obviously the "nepo baby" accusation was thrown at him in RTE, and was a convenient reason that his detractors didn't have to consider him a competent professional.

But that doesn't make any sense with the new reality in London, on a national private radio station, syndicated on private radio in Ireland, and in a private national newspaper. These massive media corporations that own these establishments, News Corp. and DMG Media, don't give away opportunity for sh*ts and giggles.

Maybe he knew that Oireachtas Committees were in the offing and if he didn't leave and pretend to want a career change, the decision would have been made for him.

Of course the 'facts' of the career change means him doing the same role for more hours in a different country on 15% of take home pay.

Maybe everything he does, including his love for family in his career change announcement, has been carefully manicured by NK investment management, hide that Ryan isn't quite as entertaining as NK/Dee Forbes would have you believe. If he had the audience that you claim he has, wouldnt there have been some media outlet in Ireland willing to take advantage.

You are almost there. You almost have it. Given that you are not a fan of Tubridys (I'm pretty ambivalent myself) its hard to see why you fail to join the dots.

If Tubs was on 100K in Ireland, no one would have batted an eyelid or cared. Or thought he deserved more.

Speculation is great and all, but I'd rather just stick to the facts. One of which is that no-one knows what his current pay is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

what makes him so special (other than talent) that opportunity is constantly handed to him.

Probably something do do with him earning vast sums of money over the last 10-20 years, and the commission an 'agent' would take out of that money...

Reminder: No one here is saying Noel Kelly is bad at his job.

It has been reported in several places - with a suspicious response from Irish media saying it was "in fact" 100K sterling. I think we can't be exactly sure but the ballpark is understood.

For that to be true, Noel Kelly would have to be able to repeatedly pull the wool over the eyes of the biggest media corporations in the world. He's a good agent, but he's not some kind of Mephistopheles that has the ability to make anything happen in exchange for your soul.

Everyone involved is making money out of these arrangements. That's how success works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Another boon for Tubs is that he will be relatively anonymous in London. No stopping for photos, being badgered in a pub when out for a few scoops etc. Will be unlike Ireland. We can be a bit of a small parish “valley of the squintung windows” type place tbh.

The Brits don’t seem to be as obsessed in general with TV and radio personalities. The percentage of absolute venom on Virgin Radio’s twitter and Facebook is far less than the equivalent on a RTE post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah now in fairness, in a previous post you said about Tubs... "he's obviously a wealthy man". You don't know that. That's you speculating.

Don't fall for this. It was reported in one place, and from there became the "truth".

And that one place was this article (originally published in the Sunday World, but here's the Indo version): https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/ryan-tubridy-agrees-drastic-pay-cut-as-he-kicks-off-new-radio-show-on-tuesday-morning/a293816632.html, where "industry insiders" claim he'll be earning between £50,000 to £80,000.

If you actually reads the entire article, those "industry insiders: turn out to be just one person: a Dermot McNamara, who runs a PR firm called Candid. Candid seems to be a small outfit, with no website but just a Twitter/X account (https://twitter.com/wearecandid_uk). There's no indication that they have any insight into Tubridy's contract. The Sunday World reached out for comment, and naturally for a PR person, he gave them what they wanted.

It's odd how people are so micro-critical of every move made by Tubridy, yet just take that one quote from a random PR agent as gospel.

By the way, other (just as credible) reporting claims he's on €200,000 to €250,000 (https://extra.ie/2023/11/19/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-virgin-radio-london).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

he will be relatively anonymous in London. No stopping for photos

He'll be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Plus his diction and delivery are dreadful, only really passable in Ireland where we're used to a quicker patter.

Even though Norton is a fast talker he also has excellent fully pronounced articulation because he went to acting school.

Well, it is. But it’s speculation founded on the public knowledge of his very high salary from RTE over decades. If he’s not a wealthy man, something is seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

He actually has to earn everything penny he gets now which maybe a shock to his system.

For years he coasted along in rte dishing out inane blah and being seriously overpaid for same.

I wouldn't expect any level of writing from the mail. Journalism is not their strong suit. Nor RT's for that matter imho.

Isn't this the exact opposite of what his article outlined?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Was this thread no closed?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

The Tubmeister thread was closed.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

In 2022, Tubridy's salary from RTE was apparently 515,000 Euro according to the Indo. In 2024, he is no longer with RTE. Those are the facts.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/four-rte-stars-including-ryan-tubridy-last-year-were-paid-above-planned-250000-pay-cap/a71823505.html

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement