Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

As of March 2023, the corps has 39 "active" astronauts consisting of 16 women and 23 men or 41.0% female and 59.0% male[8] The highest number of active astronauts at one time was in 2000 when there were 149.[9] All of the current astronaut corps are from the classes of 1996 (Group 16) or later.

Now, why hasn't the British honours system honoured Tim Peake with something better than a third class award that no one had heard of before for his achievements in space technology? Why are you complaining that the Yanks don't honour him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Name me one achievement that makes Harry a living legend of aviation.

Its a nonsense award that includes genuine aviators and celebrity pilots. That's all Harry is in there for. Being a celebrity pilot. All this bullsh*t trying to build Harry up into some some Maverick style super pilot is hilarious.

I wouldn't even say Harry believes he is a legend, he could be just going to the awards for a bit of a night out for all I know. Are these sort of things not 10 a penny in the USA and par for the course with celebrity types?

@backwards_man Do you think Harry himself is a narcissist? I'd be more of the opinion that Megan is the narcissist and Harry is a willing sidekick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Harry is just adrift at this stage so he’ll take any direction going especially Meaghan.

The RF have a history of not surviving very well outside of the main family unit as working royals.

While Edward and Mrs Simpson are an exceptional example, Edward and Sophie had their own bad experiences of making their way outside of the RF back in the early 2000s with the cash for access controversy - and Ed couldn’t even make a profit on making documentaries about the royal palaces.

Zara and Mike Tindall really show up the rest of these RF on how to go about making a life for yourself away from the firm, but she’s quite a minor roylal but with a strong public and positive profile- she’s also an Olympic medalist - high achievement indeed- with a mother like Princess Anne though, I’d say there was no room for bullshit growing up- she did a great job raising her.

He is there for the following efforts.

Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex- A British Army veteran and pilot with ten years military service, flying training missions in the US, UK and Australia, as well as combat missions in Afghanistan saving the lives of allied forces and countless civilians, and creator of the Invictus Games for wounded veterans around the world.

I would think the setting up of the Invictus Games is a fairly significant contribution (if you don't rate him as a pilot). And of course his speaking out about the trauma of war and the effect it has on those who have served on the front line. What do you think?

Nice to see that the dinner is fully sold out.

https://living-legends-of-aviation.myshopify.com/

How is Harry adrift. He has a job, he has a nice house, a nice family living in California. He has just won some major legal battle in the British courts, and Invictus Games is well established now. Gets to play polo to raise money for his other charities. Is obviously well thought of by US military and US celebrities.

And you think that Harry would be better off doing ''I'm a celebrity, get me out of here'? Unfortunately, Harry's mother is not Princess Anne who kindly houses her daughter's husband on her estate and completely unlike Harry's father, who evicted his son and his family from his only home in the UK and which was gifted to him by his grandmother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭backwards_man

Answering this: @backwards_man Do you think Harry himself is a narcissist? I'd be more of the opinion that Megan is the narcissist and Harry is a willing sidekick.

From my own experience of narcissists Meghan's behaviour and characteristics would seem to match however I am not a doctor so maybe she is just a negatively manipulative and domineering force on everyone in her sphere with a complete inability to let things go and continually speak her truth (lies) however inconsistent it is with provable reality. As for Harry, he is just so dim and easily led, I find it hard to believe he is a narcissist. To be a good manipulator you need to be smart. He has an inflated sense of importance in my opinion and an inability to consider other people's feelings especially his family's. But who knows. It doesn't really matter. People show you who they are with their behaviour.

Signs of Narcissistic Men & How to Deal With Them (choosingtherapy.com)

According to the DSM-5, NPD is characterized by:

• Grandiosity: This is when a person has an exaggerated sense of self-importance and expects others to recognize and acknowledge their greatness. They may be obsessed with fantasies of grandeur and success, and believe that they are special enough to deserve these.1
    • Lack of empathy: Narcissists do not take others’ emotions into consideration. This lack of empathy can contribute to a narcissist being manipulative, abusive, and cold when they feel that they are not getting their needs met or if things are not going their way.
    • Obsessive need for admiration: At the core of narcissism is a very fragile ego. In order to protect and reassure this, a narcissist will seek out and even orchestrate receiving attention from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

He wasn't cut off.

He wanted to leave. Usually when anyone leaves a job, the job stop paying them!

He was cut off early by Charles from what was agreed with QEII. The reason he was cut off early was because he was pursuing legal action against some British media outlets and one staff member of the RF was outed as selling info to the newapapers and which Harry was citing in his court submissions that the media were obtaining private information illegally.

My original point is that the Royal Family made a huge mistake withdrawing all funding because without that funding Harry was going to have to fund his family himself and was free to do so. Reason why they probably have not kicked out Andrew is that they probably have learned their lesson because Andrew would probably do the same and write a book to to fund himself and he definately knows where all the bodies are buried.

Edit: by the way, when you leave a job with 30+ years service, you usually have some sort of a pension!

He left! His choice. You don't get paid when you don't do the work.

Pretty sure he had quite a large sum when leaving, did he pay into a pension scheme do you know??

Well, I doubt if he was being paid much as a 5 year old when he was paraded around for the British press to be oggled at.

My point still remains. The RF made a huge mistake cutting off all funds as it forced their hand to fund themselves in whatever way they could. And because he has made a fist of it, he now has the funds to hopefully destroy the British gutter press once and for all who will bring the remainder of the RF down with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

You don't get paid when you don't do the work.

I've made this point many times - but it never sinks in. Once you stop work, the salary stops, the company car (if you're lucky enough) goes back, the company credit card goes back, your security pass goes back - so that you can't come and go as you used to be able, or use the company's facilities. And so on.

About the only flying award he might apply for is the "Freedom Flight", if he had a neck like a jockey's you-know-what. Would that be the freedom flight with (in Harry's view) security for life, money from this dad in perpetuity, titles, privilege - all for doing, well, let's be honest, sweet FA? Dear Lord, he's nearly 40 and still can't stand on his own two feet

But is that not exactly what they wanted?

Didn't they make a statement saying they would be financially independent etc. Would no longer work for the royal family but decide themselves what work they wanted to do? Wasn't that the whole point.

Why would they still get paid by the royal family, it's a ridiculous idea!

I would think the setting up of the Invictus Games is a fairly significant contribution (if you don't rate him as a pilot)

For the umpteenth time, Harry did not set up the Invictus Games. He copied the idea from the Warrior Games and the Royal Foundation (which at the time included William and Catherine) took it on. Edward Lane Fox did most of the work.

Riddle me this; why is Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, now an intrinsic part of the Invictus Games, and why is the IG desperate for sponsors? Could it have something to do with Meghan's travel, security demands, wardrobe, hair stylists and general need to march in an entirely inappropriate outfit in front of participants when they are being presented with their (hard won) awards - by which I mean, they didn't buy them?

They originally wanted to be half in, half out, live in the Commonwealth (where they were both very popular) and offered to fund themselves as much as possible (Harry's work with Better Up would have been compatible with working for the RF for example). They were in Canada for 15 months before they opened their mouths (and that was because of all the lies being spun by the British gutter press about them despite them rarely appearing).

And just to demonstrate how reliable the British press is, here is a YouGov survey on how trustworthy they are:

The Sun -53

The Daily Mail is -37

The Mirror is -37.

The Express is -31.

The Guardian is +30

BBC +23.

The Spectator, a favourite bible around here is -8.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/45744-which-media-outlets-do-britons-trust-2023

British gutter press

Oh, please! It's dry January. Mine's not being helped along at all. Not many people have asked if I'm ok.

Do you remember that famous comment? I do

There are so many inaccuracies in your post there’s just too much effort involved to even try and reply and address them- so I won’t 😀

What is all this rameis?

That they were given 15 months to devid what they wanted was very generous!

You can't expect any half in/half out of the royal family to work, ridiculous and naive

I couldn't care less about the British press or any of their lies either.

i am, thank you for asking. i've only had to have two shots today, but there's a few hours to go....

You keep missing the point I'm making. It was a huge mistake by the Royal Family to throw Harry out/cut him off (with the hope that he would coming running back to be the scapegoat/distraction from the rest of that dysfunctional so-called family).

PS - they were given nothing. They said nothing for 15 months when they decided to respond to the unrelenting press attention from the gutter British press, whose trustworthiness varies from -30 to -50.

Where do you get your information about them, if not from the British press who can't stop talking about them.

• Advertisement

As Del Boy would say “You know it makes sense” 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Absolutely. Poor 'Saintly' Harry! He has had to slum it in his huge Californian mansion.

They didn't throw him out, he left! 😂

He's a grown man and made his own decisions

Harry turned the very good idea into a global event. Edward Lane Fox was Harry's Private Secretary, not Williams. If William and Catherine were involved, you would think they would have turned up to the event in Canada in 2016 (its first event outside England).

The Invictus Games is a family event, and Meghan is the wife of a veteran and the founder. Why do you think she should be excluded?

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Invictus Games are desparate for sponsors since countries bid and host the games. So far, Canada, The Netherlands and Germany have hosted them and Canada is hosting the next one in Whistler. So far they stay that they have raised $48m of $50m budget with a year to go yet.

He was evicted by Charles from his English home.

Thanks to his and Meghan's entrepreneurship they don't need the British taxpayer's support (or his billionaire father and brother) to keep then in the style that they are used to😉

I just don't get why you all seem to be so upset about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He didn't live there anymore and had bought his California mansion at that point. That's not being "evicted", you generally have to be actually living in a place for that to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Poor Harry, not paid when he was photographed as a child and losing the right to a home he voluntarily left and subsequently bought a Montecito mansion.

It's ghastly, practically Dickensian. Single tear, left eye, go!

Advertisement