Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Because the 90% target is for cans and PET bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The trials were all private, unconnected to re-turn and done for PR

The recycleable material values would never, ever pay for the RVM operation let alone a refund.

Did you think that the material value of a can was in excess of 15c? Its actually less than 2c. The value of PET bottles is even less per bottle.

Please stop just imagining info for the bits you don't know or understand, as you just keep coming up with nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SteM

It wasn't a leading question. It was a question asked looking for clarification based on something someone posted.

Fairly sure the "return point operator" for the business will be the wholesaler who supplied them with the cans/bottles in the first place?

So the scenario where a cafe has applied for a Deposit Charge Exemption

It is up to each establishment to determine whether or not to charge the deposit. If a deposit is charged, the consumer can take their container off site. If the deposit is not charged, then the business is responsible for collecting the containers and taking them to a Return Point Operator to reclaim their deposit.

I was wondering, if a cafe orders 200 cans of coke from Musgrave they pay the cost plus 200x15c + delivery to the cafe. The poster above is fairly sure the "return point operator" in this scenario was Musgraves, do Musgraves have to take back the 200 empties when they next make a delivery to the cafe owner. Why is that a leading question? This is a forum populated by thousands of people, we're 2 almost weeks away from the start of the scheme. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone in the industry might know the answer?

Again, if you don't know the answer do not feel compelled to hit the Reply button, especially as I didn't ask you the initial question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

if it was all done just for the sake of PR, then dunnes decreasing the amount they give leading up to xmas is BAD PR.

i'm not saying those stores own the RVM or paid to have them there, most likely was free or by the company to courage recycling. But can you see the difference between those schemes and this current feb 1st scheme? Atleast in THOSE schemes there was some benefit to the consumer, a voucher for their work. Free instore monies/credit for their reycleables. This new feb 1st scheme is only giving back the extra we paid at best. I'm not imagining anything here.

i want profit from my recycleables, or atleast something back, like what those aldi lidl dunnes offered. Seems more fair than the current feb 1st scheme!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

If there was a decrease, it would have been because it was costing them too much money.

There is no point comparing a now ended, short term PR scheme with the actual national system.

You seem to think that your recycling is tens to hundreds of times more valuable than it actually is. You would be very disappointed with the amount of money you'd get if paid the materials value of them back, and indeed you'd likely never have enough to cover the transport costs to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Easily done it seems when you trot out a few unrelated figures and fool many people with them.

Yeah - I won’t be dancing don’t worry, the other poster will not engage in serious debate about the figures presented so I won’t waste any more key strokes there.

my biggest issue is the figures we have are what happens after the material is sorted and weighed by the waste collector. They have the choice on what to do with it from there. We cannot change their choice as individuals and I cannot see how these machines will change that for them.

Take plastic for example, this machine is only taking PET plastic bottles. There is an awful lot more plastic out there then PET bottles in just the consumer end of things. Don’t forget all the industries that use plastic also.

I cannot see how having these machines will affect the overall EPA figure significantly given these plastic bottles are only one part of the puzzle.

Lastly, a scheme working in other countries is not a gaurentee it will work here. As others have pointed out a trial may have been useful. It’s important to note that these schemes predated recycling bin collection in some of the countries touted as the example.

I’d love to be wrong. If this solved our plastic recycling problems it would be great but it won’t.

EDIT - The EU figures we have to work to only applies to PET plastic Bottles - lol, so we don't have those figures so it really is a bean counting exercise paid for by the public.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

Honestly the whole entire thing seems like a PR stunt.

Also the comparison was to try and get my point across to you and others who keep asking how do they benefit, or how is it a scam.

if i used to give you money or value for something, but i decide to no longer give you anything anymore and make you pay a deposit when you're already doing me the favor of giving me free stuff, can you see how thats a scam? this isnt about what i decide to do with the thing you give me or how much it is worth. fact of the matter is making you pay an upfront fee or go out of your way to go about getting that fee back, or risk losing out on not getting it back. its a piss take. You only get your deposit money back AT BEST. its not a reward anymore, its a punishment.

If america for donkeys years have been giving hobbies money for cans, why cant we? if i had shopping carts filled with tins, i should be entitled to some compensation or reward. Even with giving away our recyclables FREE we're still doing THEM a favor. but they're not doing us any favors. It's only giving do-gooders the "oh yeah i helped the economy and envoriment by recyling" pat on the back. Thats not going to cut it. idc about pats on the back, i care about money!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

How much profit do you make from your recyclables currently?

thank you for sharing Bren.

Though This has to be the single dumbest part - I read it exactly as you have stated. so I get can of coke that the waiter would pour into a glass, he leaves the can down beside me and says “sorry madam, we will not be taking that back”

ive to hold onto the can and bring it for recycling.

Have I read that wrong Bren?

jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Genuine question.

This is geared toward people who buy a bottle of coke bringing it to the shop for a voucher rather than throwing it in the bin. However, recycling is supposed to be clean and dry, and my understanding is that even very small amounts of food or drink waste can ruin an entire batch of recyclable material.

People obviously aren't going to buy a bottle of coke at lunch then bring the empty home to wash and dry it before putting it in the RVM, so are we operating on the assumption now that contamination doesn't matter, or at least, we care about it less than we care about getting the plastic back?

The 'trial' systems have nothing to do with re-turn. Supermarkets are free to stop giving you their money when they want to, and that they did. It is of zero relevance to re-turn and does not prove its a "scam", as you are so desperate to claim despite your imagined ideas about its ownership, funding and potential for profits being corrected by the actual facts.

Similarly, you are free to go collect cans and bring them to a metal recycler yourself if you wish. You need about a hundred cans for a euro, but many places have a minimum of 25kg or so; and also take a significant amount off for dirty waste, so you'll need more like 2500 to get anything. Have fun.

do you count instore credit as profit? money off of things i was already going to buy anyway, savings etc. Whats the scope here? also not just my own recyclables but others too

@Red Silurian said they provided figures. They may point you in the direction of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So there you are: it's a bean counting exercise to satisfy EU bureaucrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Scope is unlimited. How much profit do you currently make from your (or others) recyclable material?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

@Red Silurian just quoted figures from the government quango Re Turn. Figures picked out of thin air.

i was calling the feb 1st thing a scam, not the previous. Also where can i bring x100 cans back for 1 euro? i'm VERY interested in learning more about this. i can't say here what industry i work in, but i would have access to alot of these. it would be great craic and nice to be genuinely rewarded for recycleables for once. The time trade off doesnt feel worth the effort, but still would be nice to do alongside otherwork so its not taking much extra time out of my day.

only downside i see to this is transport. but thats not really my concern here. i can make 25kg in cans in no time, much more if i actually try harder. Where is this place that offers cash by weight, minimum of 25kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yes, we could still have RVMs. But you won't need as many RVMs, and the RVMs you do have could be lower spec.

No scheme will be perfect, as I said. Still say smart collection has more benefits and less inconvenience than re-turn.

I don't think you can say you'd need less RVMs, though - your system only works in very specific circumstances and in many cases, for only a part of a household.

Your system would cost much more to implement and operate than could be saved by a slight reduction in RVMs.

• Advertisement

And every reason you've given for why you think its a scam has been entirely debunked - because you were doing so from a position of zero fact and lots of things you'd just imagined.

Google "aluminium recyclers" and ask them what their price per kilo is for aluminium, what their minimum is and what they take off for dirty loads rather than just clean offcuts etc. A euro a kilo for clean aluminium seems to be the going price currently but prices are volatile.

Do you know how many cans it takes to get 25kg? You would not carry them on a bus or bike, you'd need to drive them there. There is reason people aren't widely doing this already - it doesn't make any sense time wise.

You're not talk about that Michigan Deposit Bottle Scam again are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

I never said it was a trial by Re-Turn. I explicitly said there was no trial, there was no need for a trial.

A trial isn't quite needed

You mentioned there being a trial. There wasn't. Lidl did their own thing, it was nothing to do with Re-Turn. I think you misread my post.

yeah thats why i said transport would be an issue, and the time wise thing. i have access to clean unused cans (some with defects and going to the waste anyway) and a very small portion of dirty but separate. i suppose i'll keep my ear to the ground and ask around some people with lorries who happen to be passing by that area (after i find out where exactly that area is).

a nice little earner. emphasis on the "little" part.

its interesting to think about

Also "people who already recycle at home now being inconvenienced with this feb 1st scheme" has not been debunked, and neither has "how come they stil want our cans but refuse to give us anything for them" and "they're asking for an awful lot and giving nothing in return"

no, not your post specifically, someone else said it was a trial as part of the re-turn thing https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121613072/#Comment_121613072

There are words smaller than little that suit that idea better. Try "infinitesimal".

People can continue to recycle at home; and the other two are both answered by you having massively, massively overestimated the scrap value of a can to begin with (considering you thought that the supermarkets were making profits after giving back 10c)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What i can see is throw all your cans in your green recycling bin as you are doing now as all waste gets separated at their base and as always money is made there even if tonnage is up or down.

You now have a choice to use or not use the bring back scheme to receive a voucher for cans and plastic vehicle. I have loads of plastic bottles or cans as i dont know if they are covered in the scheme.

I would like if these machines were introduced into places like Ballyogan recycling centre as a journey down there to recycle other stuff so would now be worth while. If the cans or bottles were rejected you put them in other bins as your there.

Shops if rejected them you take them back home ?

Any can/bottle without the logo (shown heavily on the re-turn website) isn't covered. There are not many containers with the logo out there yet, there shouldn't be any but they have started to appear. I posted a photo up-thread of one I've got here.

Due to the RVMs giving a voucher that needs to be reclaimed, they need to be at a shop - that could be changed in the future, but currently it isn't possible to have them at recycling centres etc.

If rejected cause no logo / too damaged, bring home and put in your own recycling - some places may provide a bin beside but they aren't required to. If something is rejecting when its not damaged and has the logo and barcode, erm, phone Liveline I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

Interesting phrasing but yes, the entire scheme is to enable Ireland to meet the EU Single-Use Plastics (SUP) Directive. I don't think I've denied that.

If you accept that, how is Re-Turn a scam?

• Advertisement

Shops if rejected them you take them back home ?

The one in the Aldi close to me has a slot for rejected items to be loaded, it's very clearly marked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement