Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve - Grants 😱

Options
  • 14-01-2024 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks,

is it just me but I’m always astounded at the grants all these clients seem to get. Tonight for instance was 99k of grants.

70k Derelict property. based on the initial walkthrough of the house not sure how they got that??

Then 29k of SEAI grants. That’s one I would love to see the makeup of. Can you get 29k in individual grants or are they working with a one stop shop?

regards

kev

Post edited by BryanF on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It’s the vacant home grant that gets me , that house tonight was clearly being lived in .. and the roof was condemned apparently just to push for the grant .. a lot of bending of the rules it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Meanwhile in non TV land the rest of us spend months awaiting replies from our local responsible grant agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It makes my blood boil. The house was crearly being lived in, with the electricity, family photos, kids toys, whiche jacket on back of door etc. It is fair enough if they want to give it energy upgrade grants etc.

There was a lot of money involved. 70k in the vacant property grant and derelict grants alone? That takes the rest of us 140k to earn. Giving these people so much money is not fair on the rest of us.

In other councils you have to provide, among other things, 2 years esb bills to show the house was vacant etc. The house @ 303 k they bough was perfectly liveable in an fine, it had central heating, fuel beside the fireplace etc. There were and are a lot worse houses in the country before Dermot arrived at all.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I didn't watch it, but was there not a mention that HAP was applied, and maybe that was included in that 99k figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

Last week's farmhouse also got the grants when clearly building works had commenced before grant was approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

It is not their fault the grant was allowed, they have clearly applied and it has been deemed suitable for the grants, jail.....brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From what I seen in the latest episode, the owners have to provide the money upfront themselves to pay for work to be done, and then claim the grants back later?

Maybe I picked it up wrong?

I remember the QS asking them if they have any means to fund the 99k as the grant wasn't getting paid upfront.

For the "Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant", it is a condition that the property must have been vacant for 2 years or more.

For the derelict grant you can get up to €70,000 to restore a derelict property.

Nothing derelict about the house when it was advertised in 2022

As someone else said " It was pretty obvious that they were still living in the house. All their belongings were still there - even photos. No way they would leave photos to get damp in an unlived in house. The nonsense of them moving in with the sister before they had even discussed plans was for TV."

They had family photos, toys, bale of briquettes, clothes, bath shampoos , flowers , electricity etc around the house, it looked lived in and do neighbours not say it was lived in within the 2 years / should not have qualified for the grants?

Dermot Bannon said last night, as the bulldozer was knock a 3m high section off the end wall off the perfectly good house, that it was practically a new build (or words to that effect)and the Quantity Surveyor Claire said " "Its essentially a brand-new build here for €1972 per sq.m "

Is giving well heeled couples who can afford 600k or 700,000 for a property almost €100,000 of taxpayers moneys in grant for renovation of derelict property not really taking the piss / a good use of taxpayers funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

That house was not derelict. Yes it was cold but derelict ?

Did I also hear that the builder funded the project until the grants came through? During the conversation about having €120k to pay now?

something wrong with all of this IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Yes, the builder effectively game them an interest free loan. Would this ever happen in reality, I doubt it.

They couldn't afford the house they wanted, so were advised by "professionals" who know how to fiddle the grants system to give them more money.

It's an absolute JOKE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭gipi

Article in today's Indo about Dermot meeting with Dept of Housing to get the info on grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't be rushing off to report them, but perhaps the system would need an investigation if money isn't being allocated properly, or some folk have to jump through hoops whilst others don't.

In the end, it was a nice house but not worth 600k or 700k.

I do think these types of shows are full of folk who are spending beyond their means. Even those with good jobs. And they are not helped by DB either. He can't spend enough money, and I feel pressurises those on the show to spend money they haven't got. Based on the show, I wouldn't employ him as you'd need to allocate an extra 30-50% on top of your budget.

Has any build ever come in on budget on that show?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seriously folks? Do you actually believe that a national broadcaster would broadcast a situation where fraud is evident? Seems like sour grapes going by some of the posts here. Maybe your time would be put to better use by reading the applicable information on the application for, processing of and payment of said grants.

thats pretty much the singular reason dont not watch this programme (beyond the first season)

its completely unrealistic as to the process for the vast majority of clients.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Accusations of fraud and talk of jail time, without concrete evidence/proof, could be libelous. I have edited posts accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, it's absolutely a joke. And builder giving them the loan was the cherry on top.

It's not real world stuff at all. How they got 100k of grants is stretching credulity to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dr.Tom

So please enlighten us on the grant application. There was proof this house was for sale in 2022, and looked lived in, on this thread earlier prior to being deleted.

Proving that dwelling was "derelict" was a severe sleight of hand by someone.

By the way I have a grant application in and am meeting nothing but roadblocks due to incompetency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Your post shows a lack of understanding of the grant Muffler.

To qualify for the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant, you must meet the following criteria:

• The property must have been vacant for 2 years or more. You will not qualify if the property has been left unreasonably or purposely vacant so you can get the grant.
    • The property must have been built before 2008. (Before 1 May 2023, only homes built before 1993 qualified.)
    • You must own the property or be in the process of buying it.
    • You must live in the property as your principal private residence when the work is completed, or make it available for rent. If you are going to rent the property when the work is done, you must register the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board.
    • You must have tax clearance from Revenue and your tax affairs must be in order.
    • You must have paid your Local Property Tax, if applicable.
    • You must not be a registered company or developer.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing-grants-and-schemes/local-authority-housing-grants-and-supports/vacant-property-refurbishment-grant/

This is the Government one:

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/f8f1b-vacant-property-refurbishment-grant/

(Note the citizens information one includes information only shown on the application form)

Furthermore per https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/256936/bf727a33-a830-4b09-8917-aaf4e324a886.pdf#page=null :

If he read the government information in the beginning, he would have discovered to get the vacant property refurbishment grant, you must confirm that the property is derelict. This means that the property is structurally unsound and dangerous.

There was noting derelict about this property, which only changed hands in 2022 :

And if the new owners were living in it, as most people think ( we saw family photos, toys, clothes, bale of briquettes, flowers, shampoos, electricity etc there last night ) ....they certainly should not have got the vacant property grant. Look at the listing. If it was derelict then more than half the houses in the country are derelict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It was a disgrace and the minister should be hauled over the hot coals for it.

You'd wonder is it to paint a picture that owning a home is within reach with all the help and supports so easily attained.

has no one phoned joe yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, a national broadcaster could have the wool pulled over it's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd imagine based on the info available that this case will come in for scrutiny. The house was clearly habitable and had been lived in. The criteria for the grant is clear cut and this house doesn't meet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Vacant and derelict mean 2 very different things, our house was built in 2000 and practically vacant for 20 years, but was no means derelict when we bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The house in 2022 looks like a old persons house. Its very possible that it wasn't "lived" in for over 2 years but looked after. My partners grandmothers house was the same, not lived in for 3 years but looked perfect when sold because she was in a home. I'd imagine that a lot of the Fair deal houses are the same.

And the above doesn't say you can't move in and apply for the grant due to the fact it was vacant. Seems like they bought the house, moved in, applied for the vacant home grant because it was vacant for over 2 years and took advantage of a loophole.

I dunno, looks pretty lived in to me.

The purpose of this grant is not to improve the living conditions of the well to do - its to bring property otherwise unsuitable for habitation back into the housing stock.

The more I read on this the more of a P*ss take it seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Deeec

Look fair play if they got the grants - I wouldn't taking it back off them or alleging fraud.

But there are lots of people all over the country that SHOULD NOW QUALIFY for the same grants based on last night's show. I know several couples who bought genuine derelict, vacant properties and are struggling to qualify so questions do need to be asked about how these schemes are managed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,755 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Having seen one of these RtI projects carried out locally I suspend my disbelief about the financials even more as they bore no relation to reality.

They create 'drama' around the money for entertainment purposes. Even Grand Designs did too I reckon as every project seemed to have a big drama around money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement