Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So vf "no different offers for new vs current customers" has reverted to intro offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

Where did you see that about Sky implementing yearly price increases? Currently paying €40 for 1Gb with them

It seems the offers are also available for existing customers. You're just recontracted for another year. Seems pretty good going on Vodafones part tbh

Though €40 for 6 months and then €50 for 1Gb isn't great considering Sky (et al) are €40 for 1Gb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

The website stated that offer applied to new and existing customers, just the Facebook Rep made no mention of the promo for 6 months at 10Euro discount. I still in contract with them at 30Euro for month for 2 more bills ( last year they waived the annual price increase when I complained), contact ends in Feb but due to the way the date billing the Feb bill will also be 30 so I was he advised me not do recontract till a few days before it due to end.

also note that new contracts tied to the current promo is broadband only, if you want/need a home phone it is now a addon for 5 Euro per month

so In feb I will ring them instead to see what the best offer is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭jusvi2001

Looks like virgin media is cheaper than sky if signed up through bonkers.ie €35/month for 500 MB +€100 one4all voucher+free activation on a 12 months contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Where do you see mention of the one4all voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭jusvi2001

Bonkers.ie

I put my eircode searched for broadband deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

€100 One4all gift card promotion is hardly just for certain Eircodes? Not coming up for me! Mine is up with Vodafone in a few weeks time, so I’ve began to look around and have to admit, given they’re all a very similar price at present (also need landline) the €100 would make the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Signed up for VM 500Mb BB, loaded tv and world phone via Bonkers.

Bonkers price was €53 pm. However, the VM contract I received states €55 pm. It seems phone line & world phone package is €5 and not €3 as per Bonkers.

Not a biggie but I’ll be querying it.

Just a heads up…

Update: Bonkers dealt professionally and promptly with my query. They contacted VM who confirmed the price is indeed €53 pm.

Post edited by gunnerfitzy on

Been with sky broadband for coming up on 12 months at €30pm. They just emailed to say they will keep me on new customer price (€35) with no new contract. Seems like there’s not much in it now between all the providers. Still tempted to cancel and sign up again in wife’s name to get it for €30 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

I have a home phone and broadband with Vodafone and I'm now paying 47 euro a month and they never offered me a new contract. They only rang to offer me a crappy Bill pay mobile contract that I had no interest in at all.

Anyway I'm considering leaving Vodafone and going to a broadband only plan with another company. I'm with them for years but they only seem to want to rip me off now. I don't use my home phone anymore really. What happens to your existing home phone if you change to a broadband only plan? Does it become inactive? Does your phone line basically become deactivated or can you use it to make a call if you're stuck for some reason and get charged extra on your bill for any call you make? Does anyone know?

You'd need to port the number to the new provider and usually pay additional monthly fee for it regardless of whether it's used or not. If you switch to a broadband only package then you would lose the phone number.

No value in keeping home phone anymore in my opinion when we all have mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭wassie

My home FTTP (NBI) broadband contract with VF is up mid-Feb. Currently paying €30/month for 500 mb/s plan.

Based on others advice in this thread, going to call retentions 3 days out from contract date to see if they will keep on same rate. If not, going to swap over to Sky who are offering same package i.e. €30/month 500mb/s plus no mention of CPI+3% annual increase.

I have to give 30 days notice to VF of my intention to cancel and have a couple of questions.

1. Anyone have any experience as to when the best time notify the cancellation to VF and place an order with Sky? If I swap, I dont want to cancel VF too early and risk being hit an early termination charge.
    2. If I swap a day or two after my 12months is up, will VF charge me pro-rata for that part month of Feb?

Open to correction but my understanding is that the 30 days notice is really only necessary for full cancellation rather than switching. If you’re switching then the new provider will arrange transfer of service with current provider.

Informing your current provider that you wish to cancel on a specified future date can be risky. Previously I rang a provider to cancel on a certain date but they put it through immediately.

Last year a VF agent told me that out of contract charges are pro-rata but I take such statements with a big pinch of salt.

I've never cancelled, the service and billing stops when service is transferred.

Open to correction but my understanding is that the 30 days notice is really only necessary for full cancellation rather than switching. If you’re switching then the new provider will arrange transfer of service with current provider.

Appreciate that info - That would make sense given like other with other utilities, the new provider arranges the crossover after an order is placed.

Informing your current provider that you wish to cancel on a specified future date can be risky. Previously I rang a provider to cancel on a certain date but they put it through immediately. Last year a VF agent told me that out of contract charges are pro-rata but I take such statements with a big pinch of salt.

Sounds similar to the experience I had switching phone providers recently. Placed an online order with VF to switch from Eir, 10 days after placing the order. However VF switched me over 3 days later without warning. Eir bill for that month was pro-rata though as I was out of contract luckily.

Going by this I'll switch immediately on my contract expiration date, assuming VF wont extend my current plan.

The Sky offer on their own website for straight FTTP broadband seems to be the best at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I had an agent from eir at the door the other day, I opened it expecting someone else anyway he was going on about fibre upgrade 500mb plus instead of up to 100 and I said I’m fine that and have Vodafone for 9 months and he said they would buy out my contract and also give me €200 credit if I switched, sounded like a con job to me but maybe it was genuine

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

I signed up for the Virgin contract from switcher .ie.. it said on the website to contact your provider and cancel…. I’m having the dread of having to phone eir…. leaving them as they overcharged my 250 on an annual contract that was supposed to be 12 months. Causing me all sorts of problems, trying to get a refund is torture..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Post edited by podge3 on

Just to echo what the other poster said. I had trouble with Vodafone and transferring to another SIRO provider. Rang them to cancel and confirmed service will stop on X date, rang Sky and they agreed to take over from the same date. They said they'd handle everything in regards to switching over but I confirmed with Vodafone that the account would be cancelled on that date as they wouldn't/couldn't match Sky's price.

Switching date came around and Sky took over as they said but Vodafone kept billing. Rang Vodafone and they said they'd need 30 days notice as there was no note on my account about cancelling. I gave them the date I rang and said to check the recorded call. They said they would get in contact once they reviewed the call to confirm the account was cancelled. Rang Sky to confirm they transferred from Vodafone and ask for proof. They said they couldn't provide proof but because only one SIRO connection is possible per address the fact I was now with Sky was proof they transferred from Vodafone.

Long story short Vodafone never got in contact again and ended up selling the "debt" to a debt collector called Intrum who began to hassle me for payment!

So yeah, personally I'd avoid Vodafone at all costs as they seem known for this kind of shady practices in regards to switching providers. Currently with Sky and happy out paying €40 for 1Gb with no yearly price increase bs

Those fellas are on commission and will say just about anything to get you to sign up. Unless you get whatever deal they offer in writing I'd take everything with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

It's potentially risky going from OpenEir to Siro to Virgin since they use different cabling networks. The companies are liable to pull some kind of 30-day policy nonsense. Siro>Siro or OpenEir>OpenEir should be straightforward and I generally initiate the switch on the same day my contract ends with the ld provider.

I'm switching myself from VF to Virgin. Called VF today to see if there was a need a cancel and was informed again that if it's a switch then there is no need to give 30 days notice to cancel. I advised the agent as it was a change of networks (SIRO-VIRGIN) I wanted to put a cancellation notice in anyway just to be sure. He said no problem and put it through confirming the date.

I always ask for confirmation with such requests and if they cant send me something, then I send an email to the company confirming the agents name, discussion, time & date for the record.

Good advice. I did note agent's name, time & date of call etc in case of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Do these providers have FUPs these days.

I find i use more and more data on the home broadband and dont want to switch and get caught out for using a terabyte or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are Vodafone willing to offer reduced rates for loyalty ? My bill has gone from 35 to 60 but I would prefer to stay if they offered a deal.

Contacted chat & they offered:

"Broadband from €30 a month for 6 months

Pay just €40 a month after 6 months "

They also said that it would continue at 40 after the contract ends.

I currently get a paper bill & they told me that they couldn't arrange this via chat but would on 1907

Post edited by Discodog on

Advertisement