Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve - Grants 😱

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭User567363

I am self emplyed and cant afford to pay into a pension, then the tax man comes looking for €20,000 of me every year,

to sit watch strangers getting €100,000 discount on doing up a house from the same tax man is very upsetting

If you dont mind paying for others will you pay my tax bill this year please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

How was this painted in the show?

Did Dermot and the QS apply for the grant with them or had it been done and they already had it? Possible it was done for dramatics - this would be the only way they could be living in thee house that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭csirl

It's a 'reality tv" show. So you have to take everything with a pinch of salt. Not much reality in many of this genre of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I must of missed that in the qualifying criteria for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lmk123

I’d say you’re dead right, people just love controversy. What they got for €650k in the end was a disgrace anyway. Anybody that would even consider asking Dermot B to do anything for them would need their head tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd imagine the final price was loaded because of the grant. That's what a lot of builders do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The house could genuinely qualify for the vacant house grant if they applied while buying or just after buying when it could be proven empty for 2 years. They are then allowed to move in once approved. It could also legit get the seai funding. In my opinion, that tends to be of limited advantage if using a one stop shop as pricing is just nuts.

There is no way that house should qualify for the extra derelict funding. No way whatsoever and to be honest, I doubt it did get that funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

While I opened this can of worms, we have to remember we are looking at a highly edit TV series that was shot over a year and the reality is we dont have a clue what went on in, when the house was vacant etc..

On the same note 28K in SEAI grants is huge. I'm looking at what I can get and its nowhere near 28K unless I use a one stop shop and its very hard to get a one stop shop to work with a contractor and the One Stop Shop Tax sometimes doesn't make the option viable. Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

One stop shop is a joke. Closed shop would be a better term..... a few approved contractors charging what they like with little gain in the end for the homeowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Thing is, we do have a clue what went on. The neighbours also know when the house was occupied / mot occupied. We know it was not derelict.

Who can the matter be reported to though, for investigation and possible repayment of the money? If it was "essentially a new build", as the design team said (their words, not mine), they should not have got a grant towards refurbishment of a derelict and vacant building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The whole show is not real life. Dermot Bannon doesnt have a clue about whats going on with the housing crisis. 14k people living in hotel rooms and hostels up and down the country and they switch on the tv sunday night to see some fellow catering to the top 1% of the population by swanning around some mansion in Wicklow with their grand piano and spiral staircases...give me a break!

He never does working class areas or ordinary singles/couples. Totally detached from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The figures for grants were bonkers alright. Is there any other country that is so generous with them? My sister who lives in northern Ireland watched it and couldn't believe all the grants that existed, guessing NI very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think people possibly want to get in the quantity surveyor lady more so, I would anyway straight shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Such matters can be reported to the Gardai. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Seriously muffler do you actually believe that the chief bottle washer in a national broadcaster would be in cahoots with some of it's top broadcasters & their agents to defraud us the taxpayer/ licence payer ? NO NO NO not at all, sure butter wouldn't melt in their mouths 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

it was on the front page of yesterday’s Sunday Independent. In short, Bannon and Claire Irwin received a private briefing from the Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien’s department in September 2022 about the vacant homes grant before Darragh O’Brien announced an expansion of the grant’s eligibility. The department denied giving advance knowledge of this expansion to the show’s producers or striking a deal for grant promotion. Despite this, the Sunday Independent noted the department and the minister heavily promoted the episode for featuring the grants.

The department acknowledged Bannon’s personal acquaintance with Minister O’Brien, who are similar ages and grew up in the same housing estate, but they clarified there was no direct contact regarding this matter. RTÉ however confirmed that Bannon and Irwin did meet with the department to understand the grant mechanism. Kilkenny County Council’s vacant homes team also informed the Department of Housing about the grant being featured on the show.

The show demonstrated the grant’s impact, with Bannon expressing hope for expanded eligibility, which (no surprises for guessing) occurred, and the eligibility criteria was broadened during the filming period to allow for coverage for homes in remote rural areas from November 2022. The department insisted that the decision to expand the grant predated their contact with the show’s producers and denied any lobbying by Bannon or Irwin for changes in the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

Curiouser and curiouser, seems that the grants are easy to come by once you take part in a show promoting them.

That house was neither vacant or derelict.

Agreed. It is Ireland, it is not what you know, it is who you know. I think the general consensus is that the house was neither vacant or derelict, and should not have got a huge grant for the Refurbishment of Vacant and Derelict property. Even the Q.S. bragged (and was in agreement with Dermot Bannon) it was "essentially a new build". (her words not mine).

Why is it in many parts of the country it is impossible to do what Dermot did and get the grant? The person in the council elsewhere in the country said you were not allowed demolish as much as Dermot demolished on his show. Seems to be who you know, or what? Or if you work in the council as well? - I know of one person in the council elsewhere in the country who knocked most of a cottage but is keeping one wall, and it is suspected by some that he is getting every grant going for the new modern house he is building on the site of the old cottage.

The clients in the last two Room to Improve shows were teachers. Had the decision maker in the Council (in charge of grants) kids in that teacher's school class or go to school with the client or be in the same sports club or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its quite obvious Dermot and builders are advising people how to fiddle the system ,

They will happy do the job on tick because the grant money is going straight into there back pocket ,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Or they are telling porkies about how the job was financed and creating drama as we await to see if grants or bank loans are approved...'knife edge stuff' on all these house programmes. It's a guaranteed stock feature of these programmes. Personally I think there is plenty of money for most of these projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Honestly lads, do you actually believe all the theories that are being concocted? What's next? Elvis did the plastering?. How dare he come to our country and deprive locals of work.

Have you a reply based on the detailed information I shared when I quoted you last or are you just going to blindly assume positive intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The funniest part was the big drama about the finance, and they just said "oh right, we'll have to take that out of the savings". Like, they had the money sitting there all along, it was completely manufactured.

On the grants issue, seems very unlikely they'd fiddle the system and go on TV to brag about it. Most likely we just got a highly edited version of a very long saga.

A bit like Gerry Ryan claiming he killed a sheep with a rock in a sock. It will turn out to be a fabrication for the gullible. It's clear the financials are a load of nonsense in many of the shows.

If there has been deceit and corruption there will be more than Bannon and the couple in trouble. There will probably be an inquiry with zero accountability at the end of it.

On the first bit: Which would be kind okay if it was virgin media or a youtube video - but the fact is the show is being used to promote the grants in a way which seems to misrepresent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

That's a damn lie .... everyone knows Elvis does Double Glazing, Loft & Wall Insulations .... "A Little Less Condensation"

Again, the caveat with grants should be clear to anyone with common sense. Not all projects are eligible or the same.

I know that the 'finished' project in the project that was done near me was a complete fabrication, it actually was not finished and the couple were not living in it. But the programme decided that was not how it wanted to finish.

The set could have been dressed to make it seem the latest house was inhabited for production reasons. We don't really know anything for sure about that or the finance.

Looks like they were caught. The house was neither vacant nor derelict. Some people would be of the opinion "ah sure let them away with it, it'll do". Yet the Quantity surveyor claims it was "essentially a New Build". Not a very good use of €99,000 of taxpayers funds in grants so, was it, to a couple who could afford a total investment of 700k or thereabouts?

I think there should be an investigation in to the matter at the very least, and in the absence of any clarification of the matter from D.B or his team, we can only assume the worst.

If Bannon released a statement on the matter it would clear everything up. It looks like he was uneasy when he did visit the house, he expressed surprise at the flowers etc, did he not think - from the photos and everything around the house and from talking to neighbours etc - that it was being lived in?

Sometimes from or on TV people make mistakes which haunt them. Tubridy and his scandal last year was nothing compared to this. It reminds me of a few decades ago, the prime time show on RTE on a Sunday was a reality television talent show Popstars, on which Louis Walsh was a judge. A person from Derry auditioned and eventually won a place in the final and in the band Six ( which was to be the next big pop group of all time and would change her life forever), but it was later revealed on TV during the live final, when she was questioned about something a year or two previously - that she had lied about her age, and was underage for the competition ( 16 instead of 18 or whatever) , and she was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It was outrageous that no-one saw jail time over the Nadine Coyle scandal.

That house was very clearly occupied by elderly people before it was sold. It's very possible that the former owners were in a nursing home for a number of years.

That seems far more likely than a bunch of intelligent professionals committing fraud in front of a TV camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Who are these intelligent professionals you speak of?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement