Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

They did have their voices heard.

Then the government went ahead and did it anyway.

Trying to forcefully stop that isn't ok. There's been too much of that allowed. The softly, softly approach was way off from the start and it's only emboldened an element that thinks it's ok to burn buildings while complaining about homelessness.

I agree we need to build more houses though, but that's been an issue long before this recent influx of refugees.

#buildHomesNotHate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

A lot of smart minds will have already thought that through and be ready for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

And it will only take a couple of the arsonists being caught and given hefty prison sentences to stop that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I honestly think people who want to work and contribute is a great thing for a country.

We need more hands, because we have become unable to do real physical work in this county as we think it's beneath us, until we need housing, or a nurse, or a plumber or someone to produce food ... you know the essential stuff.

But that's not what we are seeing.

We are seeing people taking asylum here with no documentation even though they had the documentation when they boarded the flight.

How stupid does a country have to be to allow this ?

And that's the big tip of the ice berg we are seeing.

Let people in, train them, educate them, but don't let people in who are deceitful at the point of entry to the country.

Stop using airlines that facilitate this.

That's a start. There is a real protest. Call it out. Contact your asleep at the wheel TDs.

I'm disappointed they weren't caught already.

But not surprised. The policing effort until recently was non-existent on these protests.

How was there not a garda watching that hotel in Galway? It was as obvious as my nose it was going to be burned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Should private property get free security now? Sign me up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Awful scenes in Roscrea. Very disturbing for kids arriving to a new home.

The optics of a huge number of Gardai clearing a path are terrible. I have no idea where we go from here as a country. The support for accommodating the amount of immigrants we already have just isn't there, but there's no plan for a change. So it's likely things will get worse.

The Government are at sea, they blame misinformation for the problems but then the Taoiseach writes to a national newspaper to spread his own misinformation on the issue. Could he have done a better job of inflaming the situation?

It will be lost in the debate, but Roscrea does kind of highlight capacity issues. A number of years ago a genius FF government closed down A&E services in Nenagh, in Ennis and in St John's in Limerick City. As a result there is only one A&E in the region, at UHL and it is a total disaster. Almost everyone in Clare, Limerick and North Tipp knows people who have spent days on trolleys. Aoife Johnston died while waiting there.

Clearly the region has needed major investment in health care, even before the large scale immigration of the last couple of years.

We are going into a dark, dark place if the Government doesn't get a grip. And it almost certainly won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Shocking fraudulent carry on.

I'd say the good people who keep voting Lowry in must be outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Musk thinks so. The two of them tweet back and forth.

• Advertisement

Arson is a criminal offence and poses great risk.

If there's that likelihood of it occurring, I'd expect AGS to intervene proactively, whether it be public or private property.

I agree. There's terrible shortages of housing, health-services and policing in rural Ireland.

But waiting for a few asylum seekers to show up before you start protesting that... it's at best counter-productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

How was there not a garda watching that hotel in Galway? It was as obvious as my nose it was going to be burned.

When communities voice their fears about immigrants being planted on them one issue is that there are no Guards in the town to protect them. All they get is a phone link to a station in a neighbouring town and the visit of a patrol car for a couple of hours a day.

Roscrea for example.

So how are Guards supposed to provide 24 hour surveillance for all these new centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ireland is very parochial. So, the people in Thurlas etc may have voted him in again. But it would be interesting to see the stats from the last election.

Also, two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Well they had 14 people found in a container who should have been on the first plane back to their origin and somehow managed to "lose" 8 of them. I wouldn't put much faith in them catching a few firebugs to be very honest.

I'm not saying provide 24hr protection, but a blind eye was turned for so long. FFG clearly didn't want to upset potential rural voters.

I agree it's a disgrace the lack of Gardai in rural Ireland. Large parts of the country effectively unpoliced especially at night and weekends.

People, and moreso the elderly are living in fear, especially of violent burglary.

But this has been going on for years, why protest when asylum-seekers show up? It's counter-productive.

The debate then is all about asylum seekers, when it seems to me that's only a symptom of the problems.

I don't think that was in the protestors minds at all.

But the state of health in the Mid West is appalling, it's widely known to be so, and the last thing the region needs is a significant increase in population when it can't cater for what lives here already. If our political class were working for us, they'd be trying to prevent that. Or at least they would have a very robust plan for the region and the thousands of new arrivals to it, particularly in Co Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well, exactly. If the people of Ireland were so worried about the absolute state of our services, health in particular, or the lack of housing they should have been up in the capital protesting outside Dail Eireann and making life difficult for their local representatives.

but they don't do that, they just wait for a few foreigners to show up and then go to their accommodation to intimidate then instead.

doesn't compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But they do regularly protest about services,

But as long as you can call it racism it explains everything away

Yes, but what you seem to ascribe to neglect of rural communities I would put down to the decision makers being out of touch with them.

This shows up both in the imposition on them of immigrants and also in the relentless pursuit of the green agenda. The backlash to that is the other shoe waiting to drop in Irish politics.

Out of touch elites. That's the banner all of this comes under. And a route to political power.

The population was increasing significantly long before the big influx of asylum seekers in the past few years.

AFAIK asylum seekers make up a relatively small proportion of immigrant in the last decade.

Mostly pharma and IT workers coming in on visas. I've no problem with us being an open economy like that. But to do so you have to ensure infrastructure and services are increased in line with population increases.

I think it was a huge mistake not to put in a ratio system for visas over the past decade and issue visas for IT and pharma only when x amount of construction workers, nurses, doctors etc are available through local training or overseas recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Who said anything about racism?

The only protests we are are at direct provision centres. To scare and intimidate.

People shouldn't take the law into their own hands, there's no excuse for blocking roads, shouting abuse or arson. It's unacceptable.

That said, immigration (not just asylum seekers, legal immigration even moreso) is out of control. The country can't take what's here already. Allowing such large scale immigration to continue is going to exacerbate the housing crisis, and it's going to put even greater pressure on A&E units that are already struggling. The really frustrating thing is that the Government know all this, but pretend it's not a problem at all or it's just inevitable and they shouldn't even be expected to try and stop it.

Taking the law into one's own hands is clearly wrong, but it's not too much to expect the Government to be at least trying to limit immigration, when they know that's in the best interests of Ireland.

A lot of people were laughing at the Brits a few years ago when they were upset about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Delte

Largely true, legal immigration is far more problematic than people want to admit. How can a country as small as this have a stable housing market and a strong economy at the same time, when it is so easy to come here from many other larger countries? It won't happen. It'd be nice if it could, but there's no chance of it. And our politicians need to start facing that.

I'm not sure that much thought goes into it tbh.

There's no houses in the country so they just saw these big empty buildings in rural towns, old convents, schools etc. and moved the asylum seekers there.

They were never going to end up in D4 but I don't think it was any more deliberate than that.

I live in rural Ireland myself and I'm not sure they're any more out of touch with us here than they are with people struggling to pay rent in Dublin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Only people being intimidated and used here are the crying women and children being used by this totally spineless government to push their own clueless narrative. Anyone who doesn't see why these women and crying children were sent here today needs to cop themselves on. The shame today is on the government not the protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Rural Ireland is going down the tubes , Alan Shatter & Fine Gael close its garda stations etc , let lawlessness take over and then put as many refugees as possible in there to finish off these towns - Roscrea been the perfect example. Roscrea is up there with some of the forgotten old mining towns in England and Wales with nothing only petty crime and minimum wage jobs .

Fine Gael seems to be treating Rural Ireland with contempt, hard to know why farmers still vote for them ?

Seems to be a local Fine Gael councillor there alright Coonan however he still gets elected ???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement