Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not a great photo,very hazy and a bad phone......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A mild sector getting downgraded. That’s a first…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It doesn't feel like it has been downgraded here, but I agree any model showing that is a rarity. It has clouded over and got milder. The clouds look rainy to me, but we shall see . Maybe this is the pre mild sector. One of the models a couple of days ago( I forget which one,) did show a thin strip of a mild sector covering my area , while further south and north the uppers remained colder.

New Snow warning issued for Thursday for Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry and Antrim. Some big totals forecast for the NW.

Further snow showers continue, but with the wind subtly changing to a more westerly direction, slightly different areas are most likely to see the greatest focus of showers compared to the previous day. In many areas, this fresh snow will be falling on top of snow already on the ground.

Additional accumulations 2 to 5cm widely, with peaks of 10 to 15cm for areas just inland from west / northwest facing coasts. Further inland towards the southeast of the area, an additional 1-2 cm, with isolated 5 cm is more probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I know bugger all about the weather, but going by what was deemed to be a certainty last week for this week seems to have disappeared (i.e. the widespread snow etc) so why cant the milder weather forecast for the weekend and thereafter change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

We had a covering of graupel this morning, which made a nice wintry scene. The showers have been more of a wet nature since, and doesnt look very wintry out at the moment. Hopefully get a covering tonight.

Are you close to the coast? Still of snow with me inland but too brief to make any impact , dusting remains in shaded areas but it was just the slightest of dustings to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yeah I would be close enough, a few miles inland.

Still cloudy, but nothing falling. I suspect it'd be rain anyway as it's not that cold now.

If I don't get any snow by Wednesday, I am going to take a trip up to Donegal. I have not been there in a long time, so why not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭pureza

Snowy fields from 30,000ft above North Wales at lunchtime today aboard BA

Pesky Welsh stealing our Irish sea snow showers 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Unfortunately there is nothing now to stop the breakdown of this cold snap come the weekend. I hoped the the high would put up more resistance but it gets swatted away like a nuisance fly.

Ws can only hope this latest split and a reversa at 10hpa with a further pressured and weakened pv will come up trumps for us. The jet seems to get further forecast to go South too. Everything is lining up.

Nothing can go wrong..im training a team of huskies as i speak. Should have them ready to go for last week of January early February. They will get me to the bread quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This precipitation comes into donegal ,sligo and north Leitrim, rain by the coast but I don't think it will reach carrick

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think you’d be sorely disappointed if you came up north. I don’t even have enough flakes to post a grainy snowy mountain photo 😂.

Heavy sleety rain in Letterkenny today, nothing sticking yet. It was just enough to cause a nuisance- 40 minute ‘Mountain Top Road’ delay- going to work this morning. I’m an all or nothing person, none of this stressful messy morning muck!

Hopefully the next few days will be more fruitful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Bitterly cold this evening in Cork. Temperature is already at 0C and its not even 6pm. I'd say with light winds we could see a -6 out there somewhere!!

Pity the air is so dry, at least it will slow down the grass from growing

I'd say you will have a nice covering up there by Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just watching Sean Whelan on RTÉ reporting from the Iowa caucus in Des Moines.

Deep snow, -18C at 1pm, 'real feel' -29C.

We don't know we're born.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Beautiful winter weather, if it stayed like this from November to March I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

Another stunningly beautiful day on the west coast, in the afternoon, with the complete absence of any wind and with a bright low sun I found myself sitting out in the back garden - a rarity in January. I met a few people today who remarked how much they've been enjoying it, spending so much time outside and experiencing crisp frosty winter weather.

This has truly been a remarkable spell on the west coast, day 10 now of beautiful weather. We are very fortunate to have had a cold spell that has delivered so much.

• Advertisement

• Harmonie hinting at some white stuff in the morning.

Similar with UKMO HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some very light ppn not too far from Dublin in the morning...on AREPEGE also!

We can hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Rossbeigh Strand, Glenbeigh today. Bitterly cold, dry, bright, sunny. Long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It is perishing cold tonight. A very wet cold that gets into the bones.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Outlook still raw by day and night up till Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well a beautiful crisp winter day in Dublin ended by a wonderful sunset here at Skerries. Can't complain about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement