Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Musgraves are not obliged to take back the empties upon their next delivery. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well that's obviously not true, considering aluminium cans i.e. not plastic are part of the scheme.

According to re-turn.ie manual returns will be stored in bags and collected from retail premises every day of the week, except Sunday. Whether it's wholesalers collecting them or re-turn doing so or another third party is unclear.

The point being made is that a restaurant/cafe will pay the deposit on receipt but will not have to go to the local supermarket RVM to get the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Yeah but if they continue to recycle at home they're being taxed/cheated out of their deposit. Where does this go? The unclaimed deposits surely most go somewhere no? for re-turn its a win-win regardless, but for the consumer its a loss if tins are damaged or recycled at home.

As for supermarkets that was instore credit, but the point i was making is how can they afford to do it but not re-turn? A Shop is'nt gonna operate at a loss for PR, a shop is'nt a charity. They're not handing out free money.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,644 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They become part of the funding of re-turn. All this has been covered, in great detail, on this thread already. If every can and bottle is returned, re-turn would lose money; they are expecting ~10% to not be returned.

The shops were operating at a loss for PR and were handing out free money. And now they aren't.

i'm in the same boat as you, well excluding the ballyogan part. it would be nice to get some reward for your recycleables i understand. thats why i made a thread asking if there's any non-return RVMs left in country as there once was. Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes used to give vouchers for each one you returm, and non of them had to have any kind of re-turn logo on them. Thread is here if interested: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058331181/where-are-there-rvms-in-near-dublin-not-re-turn-asking-about-the-others/p1

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

because they're making the public pay for it and giving nothing back in return. Just like with the electric going up over the ukraine and the sugar tax stuff. Always making the public pay and footing the bill to people that have no say in it, other than refusing to buy said items.

yes thats a scam, none of us agreed to pay for any of this or to be taken advantage of for choosing to recycle at home.

it all should be paid by the government or funded by whoevers best interest its in. why should the public have to foot the bill? we shouldnt have to , its a piss take and a scam. there's no talking around that. And there's no reward for playing ball either.

You don't understand the meaning of the word 'scam'

You may also want to look up the meaning of the word 'fraud', considering your proposal to print stickers or otherwise fraudulently modify non valid cans and bottles a few pages ago.

• Advertisement

Producer fees will be the main source of income for re-turn, unreturned deposits are just an extra source of income for the scheme and I suspect it will be negligible

It's in the best interests of all of us to protect the environment and we will all benefit from the extra recycling being done so actually in this way it's the exact opposite of a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Producer fees will be the main source of income for re-turn, unreturned deposits are just an extra source of income for the scheme and I suspect it will be negligible

Completely untrue.

47% funded from a projected <10% of all our deposits... Thats impressive if they can manage that

yes, i want the power back in the hands of the people and not the system. So of course my guy.

we all need to band together and come up with ways to get our monies worth, instead of being scammed by this system.

if the choice is scam or be scammed, by do most people passively accept being scammed? is'nt it out duty to not accept this and protest against it? maybe even find ways around it? be reasonable. its not fradulent to modify cans as they're your property after purchasing it to do whatever you want with it. it's what you then decide to do after modifying them that can be what whatever is being called that. Also thats hilerious when the shoe is on the other foot! its childish, and immature, and mischief! doing that thing with the cans i mean

we need to come up with ways to get our monies worth from this, or figure out some fun or profit, like seriously all joking aside for a moment they can't be coming in taking our stuff and making us do all the work and make us take the risk of losing our deposits. its madness

You had your chance to take part in the public consultation on this. I'm quite sure you didn't.

The only scam here is your attempts to figure out how to commit fraud.

yeah, and i would like that extra, instead of having it left in their hands. or even a choice of voting which charity it gets donated to. the irish people have no say in what happens to it or where it goes, its a system thats being forced on us. our only option is really bring the cans back to get our deposit, keep recycling our cans at home (or bin them lol) and risk losing the deposit, or not buying them to begin with. there's no win win situation for us, but they still win regardless

also i never proposed to print stickers, i called myself a noob and wouldnt know where to begin when someone else suggested it. but i do like the idea anyway.

im not attempting to commit fraud, i'm attempting to figure out how to profit from the cans/bottles and calling them out on their fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭SteM

You also said you wanted to scam shops by mixing out of scope cans in and hope you'd get money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

In fairness I set out how an alternative system would be more convenient for more people, support better both the waste management and retail sectors, and avoid an expensive quango. I said repeatedly it was not perfect, but then again re-turn is far from perfect.

I was mainly highlighting that re-turn may not have been the only solution (as many people here say it is), and perhaps its not even the best overall solution. Whatever my thoughts may be on an alternative, I continue to say we are moving to a highly expensive, universally inconvenient solution which I hope to have as little to do with as possible.

• Advertisement

shhh, and noo i was merely asking about it and wondered if it would work. its not an also, because i didnt say the prtevious thing i was just accused of with the stickers, that was someone else who wrote that. i'm innocent and my hands are clean atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Economics101

You say "it should all be paid by the government". This means by you, the taxpayer. Where do you think the Government gets its money from?

i appreciate the alternative method you mentioned, and attempt at coming to a solution to all this madness.

i feel people are just being stubborn on the issue overall and biased in favor of re-turn. For what its worth i have enjoyed reading your commends made thusfar

yes and i stand by that, i said by the government or whoevers best interests its in should foot the bill. And no i'm not asking for the tax payers to pay for this. the "where government gets its money from" thing is a whole other discussion and i dont want to derail this thread more than it already is. it's also not really our problem is a point i'm making. We should not be made to pay for THEIR problem. its highly unfair. The goal of wanting higher recycling stats, why should that come out of our pockets? there's no justification for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Economics101

Sorry, but your answer show that your understanding of the basic "who should pay" question is zilch, zero.

Look, all i know is we shouldnt have to pay. We didnt pay before when lidl/aldi/dunnes was doing it, so why should we have to pay this time?

theres no way around it, the answer is simply we shouldnt have to at all, and that this is all being forced on us. The advantage is in their favor like

Apologies, the scheme is designed to meet the EU Packaging Waste Directive aswell as the one described above.

Does that alter the point in any way? Or did you just chime in to correct the smallest and most inconsequential mistake?

Care to explain how it's a scam?

Do you have link to your solution?

If it was kerbside collection, it was considered. They determined there was no viable data to show the current system and adaptations to it is capable of meeting the 90% target.

ReTurn isn't perfect. It's main strength is that it has been shown to work in other countries. Is there any other system that has this strength?

Red Silurian aside, is anyone arguing it is perfect? I certainly don't think it is. I think it's the most logical and practical to actually meet the target tho (flaws and all)

Do you've a link to that manual?

If you have a take back exemption, there are no manual returns. I’ve an email from ReTurn which outlines a different process for establishments with a take back exemption effectively saying they’ve to go to RVMs themselves.

• Advertisement

its been working in america for donkeys years, so why cant ireland do something like that? the thing with homeless people and their shopping trollies full of cans etc. instead we get the crummy deposit thing, and our cans have to be pristine mint condition. they're asking for too much. they dont care about the environment they just want to up their numbers on recycling plastic and cans. They litrely want the easy money grab recycleables but none of the others that require effort. We're handing them free money

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement