Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

posting this article here since it's related to this new recycling scheme https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41307400.html

i'm still reading the article, i got to the part that says "Savvy consumers who think they could make a few quid between now and February 1 by collecting cans and bottles in order to get money in exchange are out of luck unfortunately" and thought to myself B******S!

it then goes on to say "Re-turn is asking consumers not to store drinks containers before the scheme goes live as these bottles will not have the Re-turn logo and are therefore ineligible for any deposit refund as no deposit has been paid,"

they have some cheek, or some neck, or whatever the saying is.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't understand, what's the issue with them saying not to store containers at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

who knows and who cares lol but they even want our non-return labled recyclables for free! " "To prevent waste, for a limited period, from February 1 there will be some stock of plastic bottles and cans without the Re-turn logo. As consumers will not have paid a deposit on these plastic bottles and cans, they can be placed in recycling bins Re-turn says" i want to be paid for these too, damn it lol.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

The people who have containers with the logo on them, they don't want people storing these away until feb 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the link.

The WM initiative does not appear to be a refund system.

It seems to be more a way of improving recycling outcomes by educating householders.

Is there a system working anywhere that can accurately compute the amount of refund due from data gathered on the refuse truck ?

I have no doubt that if such a system exists it would be preferable to RVM for those of us who currently recycle properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭SteM

It doesn't matter, it's a miniscule amount of containers and people haven't paid a deposit on them yet. I think one person on this thread has come across one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,644 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think you are confusing "more convenient for me" with being convenient for anyone else. Your system would be absolutely useless for anyone other than the billpayer on a domestic waste contract and is incredibly, astoundingly complicated and reliant on tech that doesn't really work.

The homeless people collecting cans are doing it in states *with a deposit system identical to ours*.

Please note that the states that the vast bulk of US TV and movies are made in - California and New York - have such systems.

The EU care. We’ve to meet recycling targets. You say it works but it doesn’t in the capacity we need it too

• Advertisement

You didn't read the thing you're quoting. They are telling people not to try hoard current cans that don't have the logo. The quote specifically has that wording in it.

Yeah, and we could reach those targets much more faster if there was some actual genuine financial incentive in terms of profit to do so. Think of it this way, imagine if any soda can could be recycled and any fizzy drink bottle, regardless of logo, and regardless of damage. Do you see the streets being somewhat cleaner now? The whole logo only thing is really narrowing things down and only applying to brands that jump onboard with this whole thing. What about store brands? thats alot of tins and bottles going to waste

Within a few months, there won't be any non-logoed containers around; and overly damaged stuff cannot be processed by a RVM anyway.

I don’t think you understand the system.

Every can and bottle from June 1st will have to have a logo on it.

Yeah that kinda goes without saying, i'm talking about vans with like a dent or a slight bend in them. its a shame to see so much cans and bottles go to waste. Also until then (few months) thats alot of tins and bottles without the return logo. It feels so picky and fussy. the goal can be reached faster without all the fuss and need for logo.

Are you telling me instore brands like tesco/lidle/aldi branded cola will also have the logo on them at some point in the coming months?

Minorly damaged cans will probably still work; they aren't going to say that though because they don't want someone arguing about how damaged something is

And yes, everything. Most of those are going to have the logos on them within days of Feb 1st (if not on Feb 1st) as they will have had the new stock packaged already.

i do understand that, i was merely pointing out that until then, its alot of other cans and bottles going to waste. like almost 6 months worth

“only applying to brands that jump on board” - you didn’t understand how it worked.

Retailers have not been able to buy return logoless containers since January 1st. Non-logo items can be disposed of in the green bin.

I am assuming logoless cans and bottles will have a different barcode and no deposit will be paid during the transition period.

Yes, and based on that assumption you're making i'm gonna keep some small amount of non-logo cans just incase, so i can compare both to see if any difference. For all we know they could be just bluffing. All the barcodes on the new cans will be the same as eachother when compared to other new cans with the bar codes, (i mean lets say coke with logo, will have the same barcode with coke with logo).

My question is how can they keep track of which ones have been deposit paid and which have'nt? QR Code technology? i see nothing so far that differentiates. All im seeing is speculation saying "cans that have not been purchased with a deposit paid on them, will not be eligible for this scheme" including if they have a logo on them. I feel this is a massive bluff on their part. How can they know?

Is it just going off of the assumption that people will believe them when they say "all cans purchased before feb 1st will be invalid/not eligable regardless of logo on them or not", or do they actually have some technology put in place to know the difference?

oh nice, thats a massive relief for me then. i was under alot of pressure to get the cans in perfect condition to bring to the machines. the stress i was under was insane. putting like 50 or so cans in bag will be a hard feature to have none of them with any damage, as some even minor can occur. an exception for minor damage is such a relief for me. i can also use that knowledge to tell people stuff like "haha theres slight damage ur can wont be accepted now" only then for them to willingly give it away and i collect their deposit muahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If course we have a say in where the deposit goes, we can choose to keep it or hand it over to re-turn. If they gave the deposit to charity after we put it in the bin there would be less incentive to put it in the RVM

There is no manual, I think you misread so I'll rephrase the first part

According to the website the returns which are made manually will be stored in bags and collected from retail premises every day of the week, except Sunday...

If you have a takeback exemption you don't have any returns but if you are a cafe for example you have an exemption on the deposit of the coke cans as long as the cans don't leave the premises and are returned. There's a "click here" link at the bottom of this piece explaining it, part 5 explains this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

The more I read about this the more it seems like a complete balls up, Im all for deposit refunds to encourage recycling but it should be based on material type, not some label. What is the percentage of applicable materials that will have the required label? will there be an extra charge on items that are of the correct material but dont have a label???

I was of the understanding that recycling is by material type, they should be aiming to legislate that materials used for packaging is only made from compostable (to a lesser extent biodegradeale) or recyclable materials for the majority of materials, potentially with charges for materials that aren't.

They should be simplifying things, they appear to be complicating it, what I don't understand is how they roped retailers into this?? why isn't this based on County Councils just requiring retailers to provide space for the recycling??

All of them, after June 1st.

You won't be able to buy items that would be eligible for this that don't have the logo after June.

Despite the last few pages being full of massive confusion its actually exceptionally simple from the consumer side of things. There will be a few weeks/months where some items don't have a deposit to pay and those won't be returnable. Then everything eligible will have the deposit, and is returnable.

Apologies, my brain wasn’t reading the sentence.

The process doesn’t work the way you’re describing. A deposit will be paid on the can when purchased by the cafe. They have the option to pass that on to the customer OR they can not pass it on and claim it back themselves.

”It is up to each establishment to determine whether or not to charge the deposit. If a deposit is charged, the consumer can take their container off site. If the deposit is not charged, then the business is responsible for collecting the containers and taking them to a Return Point Operator to reclaim their deposit.”

Youre then quoting the manual return policy for retailers who do receive containers from the general public. Return will not be going to every cafe and restaurant in the country. That’s mental and incredibly inefficient. There will be zero collections by ReTurn from cafes with take back exemptions (which they almost all will have).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yeah its simple but unfair, i wanna make money from these things i return. getting money back assuming all the things i return is undamaged and accepted, i only break even. Even just 1 cent. its the principal, they literally wanting free help with reaching their goal at the cost of the consumer.

so if the establishment does'nt collect the container, or a customer is too fast for them, then the customer can take the container elsewhere and get the deposit from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Only seen the website a few minutes ago so i know all bottles and cans can now be crushed -no logo

• Advertisement

You got nothing for them before, why do you expect to get anything for them now?

Just because some supermarkets ran a time limited promotion that has now ended?

The American thing you have repeatedly mentioned is also a deposit system, a number of states including very populous ones that make most of the US TV and movies you've seen have deposit schemes. In some cases since the 70s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement