Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

moderator: a lot of reports are coming in from this thread for "off topic" but the underlying posts are not off topic. the on/off topic divide in this forum is vague admittedly but please refrain from reporting innocuous posts as "off topic" since, like the story of the boy who cried wolf, it dilutes the limited attention the moderators can give when actual issues arise.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy was only ever Light Entertainment (not Current Affairs/News). Perhaps RTE might have considered a US presidential election human interest gig for him given his JFK book and his "Patrick and the President" book had he not been dumped. It would be difficult to see any broadcaster agreeing to such a gig. The US presidential election will probably be a topic of his conversation on the show.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Some builder lad had heard about Dublin being a good place for stags I'd say and was looking for advice on where to go. Ryan warmed to his Dublin Tourism role and directs him to an art museum and a steak house. Builder lad sounded off a bit disappointed. Clash of culture I think!!

Builder lad was looking for late music bars or nightclubs, Tubridy only in coppers once, his knowledge of dublin nightlife would be zilch. In his previous guise as Mr RTE he would turning up his nose at stag night carry on, alcohol abuse and high jinks associated with it. He would have been a mouth piece for alcohol awareness ireland and restricting dublin drinking and nightclub hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I received an actual warning for off topic and it wasn't really

So it's probably the noel Kelly fanclub causing ****

moderator: Ash.J.Williams was warned for this. commenting on mod action and trolling.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Edit: sorry jmcc, this reply should have beed directed to humberklog (regarding the earlier claim that calling Tubridy "wealthy" was speculation), not you.

We know that in 2008, he earned €533,333 

We know that in 2009, he earned  €519,667

We know that in 2010, he earned €645,500

We know that in 2011, he earned €723,000

We know that in 2012, he earned €752,950

We know that in 2013, it dropped to "only" €495,000

then 2014 it remained at €495,000

Eventually rising to €515,000 in 2022.

We know that he sold his house in Monkstown for €1.315m in 2015 (having bought it for €1.15m in 2013)

So let's look at the facts: We know he was earning between half and 3/4 of a million a year for the past 15 years (and he didn't just start then) and has been successful in disposing of a property asset. All these figures are publicly available - I'm just not littering the post with links and dealing with copying and pasting, but you can verify them all. And the wages aren't just according to The Indo - they're all in RTE's mandated disclosures.

Of course, there's people who earn huge money but go broke. Bad investments, debts, opulent lifestyles. But there's absolutely no evidence of that with Tubridy - on the on the contrary, he seems to be a rather low key person in terms of lifestyle.

But in general, if you knew anyone else with a financial history like that, it wouldn't be controversial at all to describe them as "wealthy", and doing so wouldn't be dismissed off hand as "speculation".

I don't see why there's a double standard when these same figures actually do apply to Tubridy as verifiable facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The warnings are flying around like confetti. Received a few myself. Wouldn’t read too much into it.

moderator: Bobson Dugnutt was warned for this. commenting on mod action

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Didn’t work out that way for the well-loved late Jill Dando, she was the focus for a lot of unwanted attention it seemed, but of course the reason for her murder was speculated to have been” politically” motivated, the fact that she was loved by so many of the British audience as the archetypal “girl next door” added to the appeal to make an example of her.

Tubridy courted publicity in Ireland, he has stated many times over about how he enjoys being known and greeted wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We know that in 2008, he earned €533,333 

We know that in 2009, he earned  €519,667

We know that in 2010, he earned €645,500

We know that in 2011, he earned €723,000

We know that in 2012, he earned €752,950

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Listened to about 15 mins of his show yesterday. It wasn't great, real pre-record feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The weekend show absolutely is pre-recorded, it goes out at slightly different times on each station depending on their news finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

You post about the negativity towards RT on this & other threads ad infinitum, yet you're all over them like a rash.... A common denominator indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Eye watering figures. Lets be honest, based on his previous salary levels, I doubt there is any interest from him slumming it in London long term. Some say his salary is 80k, others 250k. Its probably somewhere in the middle or about 150k. I doubt Virgin would pay him 250k as imo he's simply not worth that and is still unproven in the UK even after several stints filling in. 80k is not enough for him to rent and also have a mortgage in Ireland.

It does seem like the Virgin gig and Irish syndication are a way to keep him relevant and in the public eye in Ireland with the hope of one day crawling back to RTE.

However the clock is against him. Kielty has proved how terrible Tubridy was as a host of the LLS and how Tubs has to bear a large portion of the blame for it becoming moribund on his watch. People were calling for years for the LLS to be shut down while he was presenting it, whereas Kielty has rescued it.

And Callan and others have proved anyone could host the morning radio show.

So Tubridy's chances of ever getting back into RTE are about as slim as Dee Forbes making a comeback as DG.

Funny thing is, when the controversy over the 150k became public, if he held his hands up immediately and handed it back and apologised, he'd already be back with RTE. An expensive lesson for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I doubt he'd be happy to see out his working life in his current slot. But what if there was a better paid and better suited to his 'talents' opportunity for him in London?

That's because negative comments in the UK are deleted, or replies to said comments are switched off. Depends on the SM site/app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

Not immediately obvious where that would be. BBC radio 2 wouldn’t want him now. Can’t see any Bauer station or Global station taking him either. Tv wise I’m sure he could pick up something but not sure it would pay his rent on the flat

His 'new partner as she is so referred, has family caring duties & a successful career in Ireland. She's not holed up in a 1bed flat on the borders of Kiburn waiting for him to come home exhausted after a 3 hour working day, to turn the pages of the books he pretends to read.

Now some of u may argue that pre & post show meetings may bring his working day up to 3.5-4 work hours per day. While I can't refute that, I can certainly see no evidence of show prep, or improvement (still talks fast, doesn't finish sentences, & topics limited to books, museums & odd artsy stuff with easy internet references).

It's an excruciating read indeed. I think it was written by one of NKs interns who collated the Insta, indo & extra.ie posts, & RT threw in extras like the names of cafes & shops & tube lines.

If Prof Anthony Clare (RIP) was still alive, an interview with Tubs would be just the ticket to unravel the misery & bluster behind the Adrian Mole 13 &1/4 style diart for a national newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Are we reaching the stage where all tubs post will be closed, 🔒

Where's our right to comment🥴😜😁🎂

I need something to fill my break with during the night😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

"She's not holed up in a 1bed flat on the borders of Kiburn waiting for him to come home exhausted after a 3 hour working day, to turn the pages of the books he pretends to read."

Thank you for a genuine LOL!!!

• Oh my gawd, sure the man couldn’t e en go to Antarctica without everyone recognising him. London is so big, so many to recognise him,

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

He went from depending on a dozen researchers and skivvies in RTE to do his job for him, to landing a number in Virgin that is so vapid and fluffy, practically no prep is required. Listen to auto-chosen playlist and read texts. I'd say he's wafting in at 9.50am like a pungent fart and his chair is spinning empty in the studio at 1.05!

Still, a massively stressful workload for this gilded prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Well Virgin have him down as the "King of the mid mornings!", and I guess that would equally apply if his shift switches to a 1am start.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

"While many would find his level of fame overwhelming,"

Now come on.

It's not "fame" to be recognized if you're a television presenter on screen all the time.

Getting recognized is really a metric for people like young actors/actresses and singers. NOT people plastered on tv. Young females particularly blend in a bit sometimes and their look changing, so if they're getting recognized they know they've made it. Tubridy is also so odd-looking it's also a face that's hard to forget.

Is Marty Whelan more famous than Cillian Murphy? I bet people would recognize him more.

It's also obviously only Irish people that recognize him and maybe a small handful of people in the UK if his picture has been in the newspapers interested in that he might be like Terry Wogan. Thinking this is one of the best presenters in Ireland today.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Was watching the lls with an elderly relative who "how many years has he (keilty) being doing this now? He's a lovely fella. I didn't like Kenny, he was no gaybo."

No mention of the other fella.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And this is the crux of it…

It doesn’t matter who’s hosting the LLS, or who’s doing Radio 1 in the mornings…. It was never the presenter, it was always the slot/show that had the audience regardless of who was doing it…….. so again another fatal shot in Dee’s ‘We must retain the ‘top talent’ spending orgy’ RTÉ embarked on under her watch…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Are they ever getting Dee in front of a Dail committee?

If she's still "unwell" someone should set up a gofundme for her medical expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Are they ever getting Dee in front of a Dail committee?

If she's still "unwell" someone should set up a gofundme for her medical expenses

• Advertisement

• knowledge of LLS host could be part of cognitive testing, like Who is the president of America? If they forget Ryan it doesn’t really count as a score 🤣

Advertisement