Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭pgj2015

was looking at the comments on the RTE news clip of the racists in Roscrea. the spelling is something else 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not quite. Less than half of people polled by the Sunday independent a few weeks ago would take a position to condemn the arson attack on the hotel.

What does that tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So that's all you have ..nothing else? ..that's a bit sad and awful alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You might be eating humble pie when Mattie McGrath gets comfortably elected.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tom23 threadbanned

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bennjaminben

I find it hard to take any polls seriously anymore, one way or another.

I can tell you with no hint of a lie that in my circles, very broad that they are in all terms, and including everything from doctors to taxi men and randomers you bump into....migration policies of this country are about as popular as dried faecal biscuits for tea.

The only thing that has prevented this situation erupting thus far is the reeling shock of its rapidity which is temporary, and the overall decency of Irish people.

Those are precisely the reasons the situation has devolved into near running battles between locals and government over single buildings in one horse towns. Just so out of control its hard to credit. Yet here we are.

Patience is gone and against a wall of total ignorance and greed, escalation beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its better than throwing them at refugee kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Again point out what the protesters did wrong.they didn’t hijack anyone like say that far left waste of space Paul Murphy did to Joan burton .and Paul Murphy shouted a lot of abuse that day ,before he became a woke leftie dad who’s poor baby is always in the bath it seems when someone calls to chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was so fully behind Ukrainians coming originally, I was very proud of our country but then it starts going down hill as you learn more and more about the knock on affects of all this on communities just like Roscrea. We were not ready for this at all!!!

The government are completely to blame for all this mess. Ireland took in far to many Ukrainians and what really pisses me off is the 232 euro per week, you might as well be putting out the red carpet. Of course Ukrainians would leave other safer countries just to take advantage.

Those people in Roscrea are not "racist" or "Far Right", What they got today was a riot squad coming in and using bully boy tactics and riling the whole situation up. This whole mess goes back to the riots in Dublin and the Government/Gardai wanting to show who's in charge....

Roscrea no longer has a hotel, effectively their community center is gone, no tourists can stay. I live close to Roscrea and you can see the impoverish conditions caused by years and years of neglect by the Government and now they've taken away their only hotel in the town, it's soul destroying for the residents.

Things are going to get a lot worse for the wider asylum seekers as the UK is starting to hammer down, we on the other hand are getting their cast offs and it feels like we are welcoming them with open arms.

We all hear the stories about burning passports or "Missing passports" or Asylum Seekers come across in a truck and now off you go we wont be tracking you/seeing what you're up to.

We barely send any failed asylum seekers back and just ask them nicely to leave, HA!

I have no "Far Right" views what so ever but this Government wants to label anyone who voices their concerns/rejections to their shambolic immigration plan as Far Right is disgusting and counter productive. Are you telling me it's Far Right to think we shouldn't be taking in more people as we have a housing crisis, our rural towns don't have the resources to handle the influx due to Government under funding local authorities for years (Go to Tipp Town and see what I mean) or the security concerns.

Ireland needs a wake up call. it's a calamity waiting to happen.

Post edited by Headshot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There has been other polls with varying results, like the SBP’s Red C poll at the start of this month

“Irish people welcome refugees on the whole, it’s far-right activist groups who oppose this.”….55% agreed, 34% disagree and 11% don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No one can know one way or another But when you have public representatives that are not bound by a party freely speaking out you can safely assume that the protest has significant support on the ground.

Has any local politician of any party condemned the protesters? The speed of a good fulsome condemnation is also a good measure of feeling on the ground.

There are opinions abounding on this thread about everything here from what people are thinking generally to who everybody will vote for ..yet one person who just might know what a person from Tipperary is thinking electorally and otherwise is dismissed with verbal abuse and orders to prove it , calling said person arrogant etc

And these posters expect answers ?

Why would you answer a post that verbally throws excrement ?

If this is the reaction to a poster expressing opinions or even stating a fact that goes against the narrative, the reason for this thread , except as an echo chamber, is lost .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bennjaminben

Fact of the matter: a bumrush of migration into the country has left it reeling with infrastructural problems.

Speculation of the matter: that bumrush has proven to be a serious money maker for a few people with strong connections to those allowing that bumrush. Motive and means, they are connected.

Fact of the matter: so serious has this situation been allowed devolve, the government are battling Irish people over single buildings in small towns. I can't overstate the implications of this severity.

Speculation on the matter: there is going to be a very severe escalation of violence.

One hardly needs a crystal ball. And on whose shoulders does the current and future blame lie? On those who have created, with passion, the circumstances that can only have lead to violence. No more than beating a large dog with a stick has its inevitably built in, so too does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Where are you getting that view from.delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Who verbally abused you?

You have been asked 4 times now to provide evidence of your claims and continue to refuse to do so. You are trying to paint a picture of popularity of your own view point and failing at doing so. You haven't a clue what anyone in county Tipperary thinks - admit it or share the evidence.

Your claim:

"The regular people of Tipperary are overwhelmingly against this and protests like this.”

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121621221/#Comment_121621221

Fully agree, my own personal gripe is the ease at which accommodation is now being sourced and the ease at which anyone seems to be able to enter the country as demonstrated in Rosslare. I find it astounding that 100 gardai turned up for this but somehow not one was set to watch 14 people who illegally entered the state leading to 8 of them going missing.

Re your question on politicians: No but @Goldengirl says "The regular people of Tipperary are overwhelmingly against this and protests like this" and she knows this because she does. So we all do not have to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sorry straz, but your credibility at this stage, is in the gutter - you said this earlier -

Most non nationals don't even buy their own home or take out a mortgage -

This is the third time I've pulled you up on this claim - The first 2 times you posted it, it could have been classed as misinformation, but to say it a third time (having seen proof that it is false) is disinformation. Why do you keep saying it when I've proved to you twice that it's false?

Dublin 2022

Dublin 2023

You might take note that Irish buyers are reducing (I don't personally care who is buying btw, just stating facts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Close to the situation here too and can definitely see - in my vicinity at least - that the regular people of Tipp were certainly pro this protest.

Unlike you however, I'll stop myself short of speaking for a county.

• Advertisement

Not withstanding... If they didn't even buy they must live somewhere and a house is a house (rented, bought or from the housing authority) is still one less house in the overall stock of houses.

I would say illegal immigration currently has a negligible impact on housing but to say it has none is disinformation as you point out.

Still - 34% considering the wording of the question is significant.

We always have to weight the Irish "What would Johnny next door think" mindset, some people would be sceptical no matter how anonymous a poll claims to be, that's why when I see numbers like 75% I jump. Id imagine people seeing the word "Far Right" in a sentence and an option to agree or disagree next to would err on the side of caution.

Do you have a link to that by chance - I don't doubt it exists and that those are the results, just looking for it myself here and can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You think 75% of people in Ireland are angry with the government, the Dáil, the MSM and the Gardai over refugees? This is in a country that doesn't even have any history or tradition of right wing or far right politics, unlike many countries in Europe. There isn't even a single openly right wing or anti-refugee TD in the Dáil in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Ahwell

https://www.newstalk.com/news/three-in-four-believe-ireland-is-taking-too-many-refugees-1469597

I did not take part in the poll but there is what 1000 people thought ^

"

In a poll of 1,000 voters, some 75% of those polled agreed with the statement “I think the number of refugees Ireland is taking in is now too many”, while 19% disagreed with the statement.  

"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Of the five TDs in Tipperary it is interesting to note that there are no FG or Green TDs and just one FF TD. Just interesting to note that in Dublin West (constituency of Leo Varadkar, Roderic O'Gorman & Jack Chambers) there doesn't appear to be too many protests as there doesn't appear to be refugees arriving there in large numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement