Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I like your criteria @~Rebel~.

Any chance you'd lower the goals to 19, just so I can say that Salah has done it 6 years in a row and is on course to do it for a 7th season in a row! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yea, I'm not 100% sure of the details of it tbh, and not defending them. The crux of what this journalist was saying was that they could sell him on the cheap and meet the FFP, or hold out until later in the window to get a fairer/realistic price. They were still being forced to sell, and were selling, but were being punished for an arbitrary date. As I say, the detail light be off, I was half listening while driving so I'm open to correction.

Seems less egregious than some of the dealings that's going on, buy they probably haven't tyne deep pockets of other clubs to stand up for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Was watching it on Sky Sports and they confirmed the 30 June and 1 September dates. They argue that Forest could have sold Johnson for 10m less in June and that would have kept them onside. So is it unfair to punish them when they are earning an extra 10m and these are sustainability rules? But the rules are the rules and they had spent money they didn’t have (and they made the point they bought a heap of players who have played little or no football for them, so they were spending pretty recklessly)

‘Overall, personally I have no sympathy for them and I can’t see them avoiding a points deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's not unfair at all, claiming it is just shows they were never in great control of their finances to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I've no problem with that at all.

Once the playing field is level, that's OK by me. Though, it's hard to level that when you have some owners throwing in billions from dodgy sponsorship deals and others that are over a billion dollars in the red and it's 'carry on lads' - hard to square that circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hazard was top class for 4 or 5 years with Chelsea. Just saying..... 17+ goals in 5 out of 6 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Premier League goals? I thought he only got 15 goals once?

Everyone else was listing premier league goals though so it's a reasonable assumption that was what you were saying.

• Advertisement

Hazard went an entire calendar year without scoring a goal while at Chelsea and for that reason he is automatically excluded in my book!

May 2015 - April 2016, he played 37 games in PL & Europe and scored 0 goals.

Not enough goals to get in ahead of a lot of other players in a similar position, IMO. Brilliant dribbler though.

Rooney also has to come into the equation if longetivity is a deciding factor

Rooney is criminally underrated in these type of discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can see the arguments for Salah, but the mental gymnastics are completely reserved for anybody thinking Suarez is a contender. There is no metric by which Suarez gets in over anybody.

Longevity? Ronaldo was longer in the league and has double the PL games Suarez has.

Goals? Ronaldo has more PL goals than Suarez.

Assists? Ronaldo has more PL assists than Suarez

Peak? Ballon D'or and treble winning season for Ronaldo makes quite a strong case.

Trophies? No need to even count those.

Big moments? Does biting and racism count?

The only way Suarez gets ahead of Ronaldo or Salah is if an individual simply likes him more just because.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The point was, if you leave the tribal nonsense aside for a moment, is that Suarez didn't do it for long enough on the PL, accepted.

To then say Ronaldo did, ahead of Salah of all people, was mental gymnastics but probably had something to do with ib loyalties as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Suarez, for exactly those reasons. Both he and Ronaldo are ruled out for simply having too short a period of top quality football. Each had one season that was amongst the best PL seasons ever, but that’s not enough in the grand scheme of things. Salah (and a fair few others) would be ahead for doing it consistently at a super high level over a much longer period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Why did Onana play for Man U yesterday and was not with Cameroon for their game today?

He was given permission to arrive late. He and the manager (Rigobert Song) hate each other anyway - Onana left them during the group stages of the World Cup last year too. Onana even retired from international football after that, and then took it back a few months later. I'd say Song is nearly happy enough to have the moral high ground now after their fall-out last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Longevity has to also include success though in these IMO, and the longevity isn't worth more than 3/4 seasons of winning each season.

Being a 20-25 goal a season man for 5/6 seasons is great but it needs to lead to winning trophies really. That is really what the sport is ultimately about.

Kane for example never comes up in these conversations really and it is because he doesn't have the trophy record to back it up. Had Kane transferred to one of the bigger (more successful) clubs 5/6 seasons ago and won a couple of titles then you would see a lot more people throwing his name in to the conversation.

Salah for all he has achieved has just the 1 league title in that run for his longevity, never retained a trophy. Although he has won each once to be fair to him.

Ronaldo being the main man in a 3x title winning PL side, FA cup winners, league cup winners and CL winners (can add in club world cup if you like), winning a Ballon D'or and FIFA world player of the year at the same time overrules the longevity of Salah scoring for 6 seasons when he has won much less in that longer timeframe.

Like I said I have no issues with sides that include Salah. But I fail to see how any team designed to represent the best players of the PL era ignores Ronaldo. You can count on 1 hand with fingers to spare how many times the PL has had the current best player in the world playing in it. You have to include them when talking about the best players.

Anyone using the Michael Owen winning the Ballon D'or argument needs to look up the history of the award and the FIFA world player of the year. Owen won the Ballon D'or in 2001 (somehow) but the FIFA world player of the year went to Figo with Owen nowhere close in that voting. Owen was a strange choice that year for sure and wasn't anywhere near the best player in the world.

Ronaldo picked up both in 2008 and was clearly the world's best player at that point. The awards were joined up in 2010 to create the award we know today.

So again, I can only really think of 2 times in my PL watching days where the current best player in the world was playing in the PL. Henry and Ronaldo.

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

I think Kane doesn't come up as much because positionally he's up against Shearer. He's definitely in the conversation, and has a legit claim, but Shearer pips him for it as a number 9 (who himself only has one title, same as Salah, but is always pretty nailed on). Similar for Aguero, who also did the business for years on end with a rake of titles - but he just wasn't Shearer.

imo medals shouldn't come into it, for the reasons that have already been explained. And it's a conversation about the PL, so I think how good or bad players were in other leagues at any given time is a bit irrelevant for me. It's what players have done over time in the Premier League that counts for a Premier League representative list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Rooney was an animal and is underrated at the time Ron was hitting his high at United.

Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez

Was bloody frightening to face for anyone.

Henry...Rooney....Salah

Would be wow!

• Advertisement

So because Liverpool are competing against a cheating Man City Salah isn't considered as good or as deserving of a spot?

Liverpool lost the league by a point twice against City. Ronaldo and United may not have won what they did if they were competing against a financially doping opponent like City or coached by Pep. But if they were that wouldn't have made their players any less, it just means they didn't win as much.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

You cant disregard Salah for only having won only one PL, then use the FA cup, League cup, CL and Club world cup to strenghten a case for Ronaldo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Especially when Salah won all of those too.

Having won more leagues shouldn't feature in a best ever discussion. All it indicates is that (a) his team mates might have been superior, hence making it easier to perform at elite levels or (b) the quality of the opposition might not have been as strong. You can't be rating an individual on the basis of their team's performance.

However, you could factor in the individual's impact and contribution to the team. For example, only one was pushed out of their club due to the negative impact they were making. That puts a blemish on their reputation.

In one of those seasons that Liverpool (the team) finished runner up, after Salah (the individual) thought he had scored the goal to win the league as it put Liverpool top at the time, Salah (the individual) won PFA POTY, Writers POTY, goal of the season, top goalscorer and had the most assists in the league. Salah did everything he could to win that league again that season. The same season, Salah contributed to winning 2 other trophies and (his team) reached the CL final before burnout hit the squad because they played every single game possible that season. And you're using that season to knock Salah (the individual) as Liverpool (his team) finished 2nd behind a team that is currently under 115 charges for cheating.

You can't sit there and dismiss Salah because of how a team game went that season. Saying that he never retained a title. This isn't tennis where it's 1 person against another.

Mourinho sacked by Roma.

Would Newcastle dump Howe to try and bring him in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't see it, Newcastle have ffp to keep an eye on, probably nearly in a sell to buy situation, paying off howe and a far bigger salary for Mourinho won't help that, Mourinho would be looking to buy players also.

I don't think so.

They might look at Alonso as an up and coming manager for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Finishing top 4 last season it seems could ba a poison chalice for Howe. If they had finished say 7th or 8th it would've been seen as a step in the right direction and less pressure this year.

Howe is a dead man walking in that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

And who would manage this premier league greatest ever team?

Sir Alex or Pep or maybe Arsene? Not really any candidates outside those 3.

• Advertisement

Fergie of course. Won the trophies legitimately.

Pep will always have that question/stain on his record for the "alleged" cheating by City.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

Would there even be a valid argument as to why it wouldnt be Ferguson?

For me, I'd rank the top 5 Premier League managers as:

1. Ferguson
    2. Wenger
    3. Guardiola
    4. Klopp
    5. Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ferguson is the clear best manager in the PL, probably Wenger then.

Guardiola, while he’s a brilliant tactician, I think the fact that he only seems to take jobs that have a clear financial or resource advantage over the rest of the league works against him. I think you could put peak Ferguson, Wenger, Klopp at any of the top clubs and they would have had a good chance at being successful, not sure if Guardiola could work under the same conditions.

Anyway, while city have years of charges against them I would be hesitant to put any of their staff in a best of list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching SSN and they mentioned that 18 of the 20 Pl clubs are loss making . It all seems like a bubble to me. Does that include TV rights , sponsorship and earnings ? It seems strange that they are not making a profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You'd need a deeper delve into what 'loss-making' means. In general making a profit is not necessarily a good thing as it just means money completely leaves the business via corporation tax, therefore if you heading towards profit it's not a bad idea to instead invest in something which makes your books go negative. So being slightly loss-making is always fine - being massively in depth by multiples of your turnover is disastrous, but a big difference between the two.

Perhaps you've part read my post and reacted. Not that Salah is not deserving of a spot in someone's team. I've said a couple of times I've no issue with him being in.

My issue is that can't be at the expense of Ronaldo.

Also Utd were competing against a financially doped Chelsea team at the time...

City are cheats and Utd didn't have a walk in the park to their titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah , of course. That explains investing massively in infrastructure , stadiums etc and players . It’s just when I heard it , it stuck me as strange .

• Advertisement

Not sure we can add Pep until we find out what comes from the PL investigation.

Should they be found guilty then he can't be in the conversation.

Anyways Pep or not the answer is SAF

Of course it can be at the expense of Ronaldo. Ronaldo had one particularly terrific season - which Salah bested (both in goals, and assists, and doing it in a worse team). And then Salah has 5 more seasons that are all better than even Ronaldo's second best (and needs just a few more goals in the second half of the season to add a 6th). It's not at all controversial to have Mo ahead of Ronaldo in contribution to the league, given he's been doing the business at the top level for much longer. tbh, that one's not even a conversation for me... Ronaldo/Suarez is close - Mo blows them both away in what he's done over these 7 years.

There's no comparison. I've pointed it out already, but tbf the poster disagreed which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you asked me to name three premier league managerial geniuses I probably wouldn't say Ferguson Guadiola...you know...I'd go Big Sam, Pulis, Warnock...Joe Kinnear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I reckon a separate thread for that discussion would be good 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Ronaldo is a better player (or was) than Salah. But I think Salah's body of work in the PL is better. You are looking at 3 seasons for Ronaldo vs 7 for Salah, and Salah outcored Ronaldo's best season, in his first season. And Salah has scored more every season, than Ronaldo did in his second and third best for United.

If we are talking full career, I go for Ronaldo. But if we are talking purely Premiership, its salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh yeah, for sure, over their full careers Ronaldo walks it. He just left the PL right when he was hitting high level consistency. He’d be a shoo-in for a La Liga 11 though, which is much harder since it’s been around a lot longer than the PL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement