Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

If this was in Roscrea there was only one person who I would class as 'looney'. I felt really sorry for a lot of them. There are no winners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It was a mixed bag.

There was a lad form from Tullamore who was clearly a nutcase, most of the locals were reasonable tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

He was. But there were other folks that had very valid points. And they were fair. I really do feel sorry for them. It's a shitshow and O"Gorman is directly responsible for this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard a girl on Newstalk yesterday talking about her gofundme page trying to raise a 100k for a procedure in London to keep her out of a wheelchair, she has progressive MS. Doctors in London have assessed her as suitable but the Dept of health has refused funding so she has to try and raise the money herself while we are spending 5.5 billion on housing Ukranians. We're supposed to be a wealthy country yet you have local groups trying to raise money for new hospital equipment while local health boards are cutting carer hours due to lack of funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Genuine question, why is it that single men have to segregated from single mothers and women when they are placed say in hotels having security and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

In no other walk of life would Roderic O'Gorman still be in the job.

Well, the private sector anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, heard that - shocking stuff and a real sense of resentment against this government policy. Followed by O'Gorman waffling on about obligations and rule of law. Wait till the electorate get hold of this crowd and they will feel the full rigour of democracy. O'Gorman was asked about the 330 asylum arrivals in first week of Jan - no answers. Just when is enough enough? Will 500 a week be OK or will he still be faffing about when it's a 1000 a week?

Apart from that, the states main problem at present are the male asylum seekers. The new tactic seems to be to shift 'women, children and families' from accommodation that's 'working', stick the males in there and put the 'women, children and families' in the contentious sites. Presumably they think that once established, they can then readjust the profile of these places.

As regards RTE, it was notable that having gone through these issues last Sunday afternoon on RTE radio, that Eamon Ryan quickly followed it with a discussion on how 'public service' broadcasting might be protected i.e. funded. It was as naked a statement that RTE should be the communicator for the government as you'll get.

How the hell did the Greens ever get into this sort of zealous control?

It was claimed upthread by one of the evangelists that males are not segregated from women, families and kids and that they all live happily under one roof - I think it was @Annasopra so maybe they can clarify or the other resident expert here.

• Advertisement

In terms of obligations, I saw it mentioned last week that Denmark told the EU where to go on that last year and are no longer taking part in such initiatives.

I'd agree with you so much as I think how we've handled migration and population growth over the past decade has been a disaster.

There's been no planning or allowances for the increased need for housing or services.

I can't stand when people pick on one group of immigrants (asylum seekers) and make these the focus of the blame. In my experience, despite all the scaremongering around "unvetted" males etc, they're in general the most misfortunate bunch of souls, who've seen real hardship in one form or another.

It's crazy the state is paying so much for hotel accommodation but I don't think there was a choice when the construction industry has been neglected for so long. It should have been possible to put up basic large scale accommodation quickly, but the labour or market capacity isn't there because of a decade of waste.

I don't see in the conspiratorial terms some do, but I think it's paid out quite nicely for FFG. Their base is largely happy with high rents and low real wages while SF get a lot of the political brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

By the time we vote out these idiots it will be too late and they will be off on their merry way with big fat pensions.

Sure they could easily just buy a nice home abroad and retire leaving us to pick up the pieces for years.

They know they will be voted out but don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I agree but you'll never form an opposition government without them. The right will begin to rise this election but it would take another full term of failed refugee and integration policies for them to take over. Gonna be a tough pill to swallow for Sinn Fein if they've to make a coalition with people on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

One thing i take comfort in at the moment is this: whats the old saying: "If you're explaining, then you're losing".

The fact that the Government feels the need to "explain" and communicate means they know they're losing. They've lost the room, they've gone too far. And they know it. People can smell a fraud and they can smell a government trying to pretend that fraud is legitimate.

When we see article after article in newspapers from left wing journalists (Fintan O'toole today) on this topic too, then we know the media commentariat are on the defensive too. They feel the need to "explain" to the plebs. If only we'd roll over and get on board with the fraud, with the human trafficking, with the burning of ID's and with the total pretense that these people are fleeing anything other than third world poverty.

All i can say is it's going to be an interesting 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I imagine that would apply in any scenario, even completely outside of refugees and asylum seekers. It would not be appropriate to have single men in close proximity to women and children they don't know in group accommodation under state care. Not just the risk of sexual violence or whatever, but just for reasons of privacy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the Danish approach, the Irish Government can't just use international obligations as an excuse for doing nothing on any given issues. If the obligations are excessive it's their duty to pass on the message that Ireland can't and won't comply. We are not subjects, this is still a soverign country.

I hate that the immigration situation has me making statements like the above, but unfortunately we are being led by donkeys who are allowing social cohesion to break down.

I think the vast majority of Irish people are fair minded but they are treating us like children.

Varadkar's piece in the Sunday Independent, full of lies.

Now, did he knowingly write those lies or was it in error? Either way it's a shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I didn't claim this no. No idea what you are on about.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah and you are joining in the negative scapegoating further by repeating far right terminology calling them "unvetted" - Are you vetted? Should we be scared of you if you're unvetted.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

In Limerick, there are plans to house about 200+ in the old Salesians school on the NCR. No information about who they are putting in there yet, however the girls school is still there. So those children will be attending classes with 200+ asylum/IPS literally a stones throw from them.

O'Gorman has always come across as being a completely inept clown, but his doubling down and claiming that they will handle everyone coming in is not going to work. Maybe the only way anyone puts the brakes on this is to point blank refuse to provide any further property for this use - Rod can let them all stay in his house since he loves them so **** much.

You're quite right to call that out. I've added quotes to my original post.

I don't agree at all with the term or the discourse around it.

Like most men in the country I'm "unvetted", I'm Irish though so of course no one protested when I moved to a small rural town with no police services and a shortage of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It really is, given that the Government have made so much about right wing misinformation. Those points would be fair enough, if the likes of Varadkar himself was prepared to be honest. If the Taoiseach has been found to be lying, how can the public have any confidence in the messages from Government?

I think a lot of people (myself included) were very surprised to learn that people who have their applications for refugee status rejected are not deported.

Immigration is becoming a lightning rod for dissatisfaction about a number of issues. This is going to a dark place, fast. The Government need to be honest and acknowledge that immigration needs to be reduced and start taking steps towards that. This shouldn't even be controversial, the UK PM has acknowledged it needs to happen there, it's basic common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

The big difference being that you are Irish and easily identifiable, along with any criminal history. Unvetted in regards to immigrants means they conveniently lose their identification, which makes background or criminal checks mostly impossible.

So anyone who is potentially a serial rapist or killer is free to walk in, claim asylum and as we've been told (and demonstrated by the fact they lost 8 people who were in a **** container) there's no requirement for them to be kept in place.

I suppose basically some of the same fears that the local people have. Only they don't have the security on site.

And are racists of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

More and more countries are going down this route. It's just a matter of time when the EU change the laws to accommodate this.

Fair play to the Danish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I think the government policy is mostly to blame for this situation. People feel they are not being consulted.

Leo Varadkar said noone can have a veto on people moving into their area. But FF, FG, Labour, Greens, SF and PBP have repeatedly objected to housing developments for decades in this country. They themselves have engaged in NIMBYism, but now accuse others of it.

A newspaper poll a few days ago found that 73% believed levels of immigration are too high. Also, about 25-8% consider immigration to be a major issue. This compares to 3% a few years ago.

Ireland is late to the immigration debate compared to the rest of Europe and the United States. The government was very naive in assuming we were an exception. And in a democracy, people should be allowed debate these issues in a calm, respectful way. The reason we are seeing increasing protests is that communities feel they are not being listened to.

There is also a perception that better off electoral areas are not shouldering their fair share of the burden. A question put down in the Dail by PBP TD Paul Murphy revealed that this is indeed the case.

Dublin 4, home to RTE and a bastion of liberalism, has taken only 7 asylum seekers, out of 7,700 asylum seekers housed in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement