Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,701 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I thought the dormer was very clumsy and the front facade treatment didn’t work. Liked the kitchen living area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

You justify being horrible to complete strangers any way you want 👍

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nah Dermots first plan was over by 30k,

They then said they wanted a bigger extension, an extra en-suite, and to move the master bedroom downstairs. That ballooned it to the 320k figure.

They did the same with the extra 20k they got from him being promoted to Prinicipal, Clare said the comically large list they gave her for landscaping cost 46k of the 20k they had for it.

They had no concept of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sorry but I am a fan of large windows. My current home abroad has massive glass windows. It lets the outside in. It makes the space feel expansive and linked. I know it’s a personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I have it on good authority that DB's fee is calculated as a % of the final construction cost. If that is true, not only is he incentivised to have the build go over budget, he is also benefitting from the couple getting grants to further spend on the property. And he is at no loss, as if the grant doesn't materialise the build is still complete, and the couple have to find a way to pay the builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's no way you could justify paying someone directly involved in the build fee a percentage of the build fee as a client. It's totally uneconomical and makes zero sense.

Bannons builds almost always end up over budget - sometimes tbf as a result of the extras the client wants after the initial discussions but mostly its a general thing as was the case here when his initial costs were over 30K above budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Nothing unusual with the fee structure there, Architects fees can range from 7%-10%, usually decreasing as the construction build increases. All depends what client agrees at start of discussion with Architect.

I'd argue its a very strange fee structure where the architect gets a higher fee because costs of materials increased during the build. That makes no sense. Same design, no changes to drawings, but architect gets more because of something completely outside of his and the clients control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

DB's fees are free for the people who appear on RTI, so the structure is irrelevant.

Most architects will fixed price the work; if costs rack up as the clients want a new en-suite or a bigger extension then its fair enough if the architect looks for more money.

From experience its almost impossible to not go over budget on a house renovation, the estimates included in the tender are for the cheapest fittings and fixtures; e.g. white plasic sockets and if the Home Owners want to upgrade to chrome sockets it costs extra. The quote we received for the splashback in the kitchen was a joke - there were literally no splashbacks for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

You might want to question the source of your 'good authority'. As has been mentioned the client's get free architectural services from DB.

Whether RTE pays him for fronting the show is a different matter. Having his name publicised every sunday night should be enough I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

If you go on RTI his fee is paid by the production company. If you book him yourself, you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

That's more or less what I said.

Can you send me RTE link for his fee I don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm an Engineer involved in house building and a client recently told me he was quoted 12 percent of project cost by an architect to cover design, planning and construction stage which included Engineers fee as well.

This was on a 450k build. So 54k..... and they wonder why only a tiny portion of house builders actually use an architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Another common theme is that they are often teachers - on both programmes this year and on the previous one in Wicklow etc.

My brother got a house built and he said the architect (not Dermot Bannon) charged so much for initial design, then another few % for developed drawings and getting planning, then more for technical design and preparing specifications for builders to tender and then so much for inspecting during the build and ensuring compliance etc. And finally snagging I suppose. You said the architect you heard of charges 12% : I assume that is inc vat, so 9.75% ex vat? As an engineer involved in house building, do you see engineers providing those services for less? I know on Room to Improve Dermots fees are paid by the tv company, but just curious.

Do not forget mortgage lending rules : mortgage lenders can step outside the usual rules to assign 15% of mortgages up to 4.5 times the applicant's income. In general though, since January 2023, borrowers can avail of mortgages at four times their salary.

Teachers ( like in the last two episodes ) get increments every year and being a government job it is a very secure career, so they are more suitable than most for the 4.5 times salary rate. Some teachers also suppliment their income through summer jobs, grinds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭nullObjects

any idea what in particular they had questions about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

I’m an Engineer as well but haven’t worked in housing for a while, Time to go back into it if that’s the case. That is absolutely insane. I’d actually have to see it to believe it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

They should investigate this grant and ask them to see the bills. That will prove that someone has been living there and that it was fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,701 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Didn't hear the whole promo piece but Liveline is covering something about the show today. Not sure what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

…….

it wasn’t vacant for 2 years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

So it seems all they had to do to qualify was get an affidavit signed by a solicitor or commissioner of Oath and say on telly that they are not living there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

If I was someone who was refused grants under either scheme I would refer the authorities to this episode of RTI and ask them to explain how this house qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Yeah but a school principal could be trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This episode seems to be a huge error with the apparent backlash. A principal and a business owner that can afford to blow at least 500k getting an extra 100k of grants is not aging well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It'll be interesting to see what comes of all this but I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised to see a few of the owners coming out in the near futures to say they didn't get the grants that DB had informed them of / led them to believe they would get.

The way this show is edited can be very different from reality. I know that for certain, as I know of one couple who had an absolute nightmare and a lengthy legal battle coming from one of the episodes.... and you wouldn't have had a clue while watching it.

I would certainly hold off on any anger at either of the couples so far this season. The grant talk is all on the side of DB / RTI. And it seems that some of it was very poor / reckless advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

Colm Ó Mongáin is presenting the LiveLine today. He wants to talk about Sunday's RTI lady of the house having a miscarriage! In itself, this is extortionary intrusive into a persons private live.

The cynic in me says it has come from RTE Senior Management, to deflect questions on the Grants issue.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If an episode of RTI is making people that angry then those people should take a step back imo.

We haven't a clue about the couples real financial situation.

Some people seem to think that the budget is all that the couple should or do have. It would be very foolish if your budget was indeed all the money you had to play with, with DB around.

There could be inheritances, land to be sold etc. etc. sitting outside of budgets.

I am very fortunate not to have any inheritance yet and I wouldn't dream of spending the money the couple did on their home... but that's their own business. And it's their own business not to disclose if they're sitting on loads of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

My missus thought she heard the couple say they had worked abroad in Dubai for a few years and they had saved up money.

Anyone else hear that on the episode ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

What backlash? A load of whingers online moaning and saying "its not fair its not fair". I dont think Bannon will be in front the Oireachtas any time soon.

--

People saying they didnt do this and they didnt do that and its fraud this and fraud that. How do you know? You are aware that this is a TV show and there is a lot of clever editing in place, yeah? Maybe this all was explained but they didnt show it, cos it would be pretty boring for us to see DB explain step by step how to apply for a grant and how to get one. This isnt a youtube tutorial, its a TV show in a prime time slot. These people getting grants are not what stop you getting grants or stopping you from getting on the housing ladder. Thats a government issue. A bit of perspective here folks.

I'll go out on a limb here and say these grants are going to be a feature of every episode from here on in. So if its gonna annoy you, dont watch it.

• Advertisement

Ignorance of the law is no defence. 30 seconds googling would show the couple what the Vacant and Derelict House grant was for. If they lied in order to get grants - and a bigger and fancier glass box extension - that is inexcusable.

Advertisement