Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

they would probably be better served offering POM a 2 year deal instead of Dillane, who is probably on similar money coming from France.

I don't see it as any way likely Dillane is on similar money. Munster certainly wouldn't offer him similar money to what POM is currently, so I don't buy the idea that they could just use the Dillane money to sign POM.

Oh so you meant a small proportion of fans? Not the actual club?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Heaslip deal wasn't exactly a roaring success for the IRFU though was it..

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

If POM goes then best of luck to him. I think all Irish players when the central contract finishes and if a higher pay offer comes in from elsewhere will of course look. Munster might feel POM is important but maybe Ireland dont as much, as people have mentioned, lots of back row competition. If POM gets offered 400-500k a year for a year or two in france at the end of his career, vs maybe 250k to stay at Munster then I think we know the answer there, and Munster cant afford to pay players 400-500k towards the end of the career, with an injury profile (and I know look at RG before anyone mentions it)..Murray will be next up to leave, same with the likes of Killer aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

LA Rochelle wage bill is €10.7 million per season. Just had a google and the average French salary is €240k (not sure how accurate this is.) So I would say Dillane isn’t miles away from what POM is earning now.

Either way, do you plan to pay him with chips? He will be on north of 200k for sure per season, would it not be wiser to put that money towards POM? Maybe I’m wrong as not a Munster supporter so you’d be better placed to answer.

• Advertisement

It's possible he is now, when on the LAR payroll. But I don't see Munster offering Dillane similar to what POM may be willing to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

especially not when you consider Donnacha Ryan was sacrificed for him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Of course he was head and shoulders above everyone, because nobody else was given a chance and those chickens came home to roost when the mgt felt nobody was capable of 5 mins against Nz even though sexton was completely out on his feet

If you think what some fans say on a message board is indicative of a culture at the club, then I don't know what to tell ya...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

2/3 of those were obvious failings in the irfu at some level, at least to me from a purely pragmatic pov.

the fact is that the irfu could have kept two talents in their system for the price of one minute cameos vs some random summer test opponent two years ago. That’s a cheap price.

Tons of very successful countries routinely give out ‘cheap’ caps and its certainly not unknown for NZ to cap guys with other nationalities once or twice and then never cap them again.

Kleyn is egregious. POC literally said he was a close call for world cup training squad inclusion. Someone that high up the national depth chart should have been captured again for pure depth reasons.

Healy is like … maybe a 5/10% chance of being good enough to play for ireland by say 27/28. For the price of keeping him, i’ll play those odds

So, yea at least in those cases they have a point. I mean obviously this isn’t intentional bias against munster. They ran afoul of a union who put a lower priority on capturing players than other unions seem to. There are arguments for and against it, but i get feeling agrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

a lot of supporters from Leinster posting on here and after all these years , feeling finally vindicated that POM isn't worth an irish shirt.

the narrative:

Heaslip = "exceptional, one of a kind" sexton =" head and shoulders above anything else around"

POM = " i always knew he wasn't good enough and even if he was hes too old now " "baird/prendergast/deegan/penny, etc etc are better than him"

just to remind you, POM was one of Irelands best players at the 2023 world cup, which was only three months ago.

I’d guess POM was on somewhere between 450-600 on the central deal. Its supposed to be a higher tier deal to keep guys in country.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hank the DJ

PoM was offered a 1 year deal on a reduced salary, if he thinks he can offer his same standard for another 2 years then he's dead right to look for a bigger salary.

Personally I think next season he should have a reduced role anyway with a view to the future.

Dillane would be an excellent signing in fairness, and would go someway to filling the RG hole in the squad.

i still think this is all just negotiating and posturing, and he’ll sign a central deal, could be massively wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

TBH I think its commendable that the IRFU don't cap players that they don't intend to use. Whatever about looking at young players on a tour to the US or the like, why limit a players option going forward if you more then likely won't be picking them? It wouldn't have been fair on Healy or Kleyn who both had international aspirations and motivation to go on and play for the countries they did.

Just because the likes of NZ do it doesn't make it a good thing

I agree to some extent if that was the reason but i’d say its more short sightedness than anything.

If we had super deep moral reasons for this kind of stuff we would never have got on the project player train. That’s way worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is it a lot of supporters from Leinster or really just a couple? It seems to be mainly one poster really and maybe one or two others saying something relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think everyone can accept Irish rugby hasn't a huge pot of cash hidden away.

The players took a cut in their salaries during Covid and unfortunately for players like POM his contract are coming up for renewal as he's coming towards the end of his career and Ireland are trying to reduce his worth but he probably feels he needs to catch up on what he lost out on during Covid.

I'd be happy if Munster offered him a contract and the IRFU picked up the remainder to match a CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We shouldn't be capping players for the sake of tying them to a country. Healy wasn't good enough to play for Ireland and hence wasn't capped. He might be good enough in future but he wasnt at the time. I don't blame the IRFU for that.

Kleyn was good enough and apparently was close enough to the squad. But he wasnt capped and moved on.

I don't believe for a second if these happened to Leinster there wouldnt be Leinster supporters complaining. Carberry moved for pretty much teh same reasons as Healy (to be first choice 10) and Leinster supporters still complain about that 6 years later. Look at the complaining about Milne reportedly moving to Munster.

Its not a victim culture to complain about losing players. Especially when the reason you lose the players appears to be out of your control.

The one thing I don't understand in all this is the two NIQ player rule. Since they are all IRFU employees for me then rule should apply across all 4 teams and not per team. If the goal is to produce players for Ireland then it makes no difference if Snyman is at Munster or Leinster. Ryan/ McCarthy starting for Leinster and Kleyn/Snyman for Munster is not OK but Ryan/ Snyman for Leinster and Kleyn/ McCarthy for Munster is grand. All it does is create a terrible optic that you favour one team, not allowing Munster resign a player but allowing him to move to Leinster is terrible optics.

• Advertisement

From a purely pragmatic pov, why not? It literally improves our depth and limits downside risk. Of course, Healy wasn’t good enough but could he be within the next 4 years? Of course he could be. Therefore, he’s an asset,

I never understand how fans are totally fine with some guy with no connection to ireland coming here specifically to become irish and play rugby for us. But choosing to cap guys who COULD be useful so as not to lose them is some moral no-no. They can always say no to the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My hunch is that we're seeing a stand-off between the private backers at Munster and the IRFU.

Backers who would unhesitatingly support a contract for a stalwart like POM, but at the same time, backers who are no fools. They know that there are no hard rules with IRFU CCs and if ever there's ever a case to NOT base one purely on projected future minutes in the national side, it'd be for a guy like POM.

The IT article, the LaR rumours, it's all just part of the game.

I'm confident both parties will find a compromise. POM has put far too much time and effort into that garden to ever leave it for extended periods of the year. The RWC must have nearly killed him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wont that 1058 club (or whatever theyre know as) have a few quid floating around when RG leaves the books?

maybe they could pony up to top up POMs salary as it wouldn't be anywhere near what RG was reportedly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Because Healy didn't deserve to be there. He would take the place of someone who did deserve to be there. There is a potential to cause upset within the squad.

its not a moral No-no. caps should be given to the best players that are available. Healy shouldn't be getting a cap ahead of another more deserving player just because he has a Scottish grandmother.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Heaslip was coming off a WPOTY nomination in his 33 year old season. I wouldn't even say the contract didn't work out - injuries happen and frankly insurance would have paid some of his salary anyway. There was no-one seriously threatening his position and, importantly, for all we know he took a paycut on the contract. D'arcy has highlighted how aggressive the IRFU are once you get older. Maybe Heaslip just accepted something that POM won't.

As regards his import for Munster vs Ireland, frankly it is not the IRFU's problem or the point of central contracts. I get that it is annoying, but beyond that I'm not sure what people expect.

if ever there's ever a case to NOT base one purely on projected future minutes in the national side, it'd be for a guy like POM.

100%. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better example.

I'm confident both parties will find a compromise. POM has put far too much time and effort into that garden to ever leave it for extended periods of the year. The RWC must have nearly killed him.

:P Chapeau.

First of all, that’s not really always the case that guys are capped because they are the best player at that very moment. Guys are given caps as a means to develop them as well.

So, there is some kind of sliding scale here, we just disagree on how that should be weighted.

Secondly, its not like other very successful countries don’t do this. NZ have a whole list of 1/2 cap players with second nationalities. So, it is possible to do and be successful. England with a much bigger playing base were happy to cap Kelly to keep him from us.

I think we are generally too precious about caps to some degree. I see the other side on this but it feels like just wasted resources to me. And something that has a small but real chance to bite us in the ass.

I'd argue that Healy, at least, should have been ahead of Flannery on the EI tour. The problem there was, with Crowley also going, it'd have left Munster extremely threadbare. It was a function of how late in the day that tour seemed to be organised, and the Provinces didn't seem particularly happy with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as an aside to this conversation, anyone else heard the rumour of johann grobbelaar to munster as a NIQ hooker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah heard a few rumblings about that a few weeks ago.

That A-P guy on Twitter seems to rate him pretty highly.

Advertisement