Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭obi604

is the whole working from home tax relief done away with now?

i.e can I claim anything for 2023? Like other years I put in for heating, electricity and internet and got a certain % of this back

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It should still be available to claim. Having said that, I haven't attempted to do mine for 2023 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Out of interest, does anyone know people who are working fully remotely?

I know a few, but I know of loads of people who have bought houses down the country (e.g. in Cork, Kerry, etc.) and commute to Dublin once a week for some day(s) in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I work remotely 100% and am based in Cork, Kerry, etc.

But I've been here for almost 20 years, I didn't just move during COVID.

I work for a Dublin based company but would never dream of commuting one day a week just to be "in the office".

I am two years in the job and even though they could not put it in my contract that I would be fully remote the understanding has always been that I would.

As part of my job I spend two days a week with a client of my employer which is in a completely different part of the country again, and most of them I've never even seen on video calls let alone meet in person, but still work well with them.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I read yesterday that the office market in Dublin is really weak, there's the highest amount of vacancies since 2013. And remember the economy was in an extremely weak position then and a very strong position now.

Sure, hybrid working seems to be where things are going for most people, but it's still a huge hit for property in cities. It's not being felt too severely on the residential side as yet because there was such a shortage going into Covid, but long term decline there too is probably inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭Christy42

Good. Dublin needs less pressure.

Decentralisation was a great ideal back in the 00s with terrible implementation. Hopefully we start to get it now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I work fully remotely and know a few others who do too through Grow Remote (worth joining for local meet ups of other remote workers in your area). The company I work for are based in Dublin city centre, everyone else is in the office but I am not expected up there aside from major events they run (2-3 a year). Even at that if I said I couldn't make it I don't think there would be a big issue. They pay for my travel and a hotel if I have to stay over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Full remote since 2019. Have changed job (and company) twice in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Talking to my brother this is rife in his company. They were fully remote during covid and when the office eventually opened only those who wanted went in (which unsurprisingly was 2 or 3 people). Then last summer the Irish offices was told they had to start enforcing the already global rule (which they had been ignoring) of 3 days per week in the office and from what he has said virtually no one who had been fully remote is staying in for full days.

Some are coming in just to literally eat lunch and swipe the badge, others come in at 10 and go home at lunch or similar. This includes the top managers though at this stage I think no one is doing the 3 days again and more going in 1 or 2 days for a while as it appears to be off the global radar again I suppose.

Just allow people WFH as much as they want and it would stop all this rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Farcical that grown adults have resorted to this behaviour.

I don't blame them though, the stupidity eminates from mandating office attendance where it is not necessary. The vast majority of people in any walk of life want to do a good job - just let grown adults decide for themselves if office attendance is warranted, within reason.

There's only so long the tide of flexible work can be held back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I think the article is making something out of nothing.

There would be people in our place that come in meet up with pals go for lunch and go home

They're not popping in to swipe a badge they're just "socializing" for an hour so and then go back home and work.

The great part of the change in a lot of places for me is the flexibility in a lot of roles where they're not pinned at 9-5 anymore.

I couldn't care less if someone came in at 10 and left at 2 then did an hour or two in the evening or whatever way they want to work it.

If there's performance problems with staff and managers think it's down to WFH. Bring them in or deal with the specific performance problem as you would in an office.

If people are performing and doing their job as expected. Leave them at it.

There's been a lot of horse sh|te written about WFH positive and negative. Hopefully it'll blow over soon and we can just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

People and companies are just getting on with it. Every now and then a story pops up but it’s pretty much established now. We’re 2 years on from any “health” requirements. It’s just normal practice now. Some individual patterns may change, of course, but some element of WFH will remain for most desk based jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's a definite trend of push back from fully working from home in many companies ... started at 1 day back, then 2 day back then 3. Some element of WFH maybe, but with the emphasis shifting to in office.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There's an element of pushback from some employers, sure, but there's also pushback from employees against that. I've seen it myself when interviewing. "What's your blended working policy?" "Two days in the office, three WFH." "I literally can't afford to rent a place in Dublin, I'd be commuting from (midlands/the west/Cork). I mean, sure, the odd time, I don't mind going in, but if I'm doing the work from home, why do I need to go to the office every week" was a conversation I've had, or words to that effect, more than once. I still have the vacancies...

My partner is a contractor, 18 months in the current contract, headhunted for it in fact. They announced everyone has to go in 2 days a week from a couple of weeks ago. This is after a couple of years of "WFH unless you want to come in or there's some big meeting on." But they also want to extend the contract, they've some big project going on until June. Guess who's looking elsewhere, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I reckon a lot of workplaces are pushing the return to office as a way to shed staff and avoid paying redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have seen an example of that in Galway. They knew it would force the issue for some folks that moved far away from office.

Traffic in Galway will get even worse if people are forced to return to the office.

I have been 100% WFH since Covid. I will most certainly leave my employer if they mandate more than 1 day a week.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

And hopefully it will result, sooner than later, in a couple of constructive dismissal cases at the WRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good luck with proving that if you have a contract that says your regular place of work is the office.

No solicitor is going to take a case to the WRC for you if your contract states that, though, in the absence of something in writing saying you're entitled to WFH - which would be a material change to a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Typical HR carryon but it'll backfire on them. The calibre of employees who leave as a result is bound to be higher than those staying.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why so? Ardent wfh staff are higher calibre now ?

That's not what was said.

Staff who enjoy WFH and want to keep doing so, and who happen to be more employable (i.e., those with in-demand skillsets, better track record and experience, etc.) are less likely to stick around with an employer that arbitrarily decides to remove or severely cut down on the WFH option. Those who can't easily find a job elsewhere, conversely, are the ones who don't end up leaving because WFH was removed.

Lot of mental gymnastics there , what if the better staff aren’t fussed about wfh so removing it means very little to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agreed a lot of flexible, team players who are committed to the work (all good traits in an employee) consider the needs of the business and not just themselves as that supports the best business outcomes, and are fine with blended 3/2 days as a result.

People with a sense of entitlement focussed on their own success over the businesses success may the ones demanding full WFH.

It's totally case by case and you can't generalise

Exactly and in some cases not even their own success just their own wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am fairly convinced that WFH is a lot more efficient/productive than office working.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And I am fairly convinced that sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

A lot is due to the intrinsic motivation and reading comprehension of the staff involved neither of which tend to be screened for ot selection criteria.

Also there are some cases where it is more efficient for some individual performers, but not for the overall team.

But both of those "fairly convinced" statements are just that: individual viewpoints.

Advertisement