Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

Not a semi detached neighbour, but he lives about 15-20 minutes away. I've ordered to mine, so hopefully shouldn't have any problems.

I set it up with his billing information etc so hopefully it I need, I can change the address.

Just wondering how everyone's speeds have been? As I downloaded the app and had a look at the reviews, a lot of people were complaining about speeds.

Someone else also mentioned something about an in motion dish and that it's a bad idea that they're doing that. Would anyone be able to fill me in on that? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

regularly see 15mb up, 230 down... the dish, realigns automatically with motors inside. Thats a good thing as you don't need to be as fiddly with placement - you do need a clear view of the sky - you can use your phone and the app to see if your intended placement is good - it uses your phones camera to see potential obstructions.

Good to see that, upload is a bit low but for the using they'll be doing download is more the key one.

Good to see you're getting them speeds consistently. Like everything when you start seeing reviews you'd never buy anything!

Hopefully with the good experiences I've been seeing here, they'll have somewhat the same experience.

honestly we blind trialled it side by side with virgin 1gb, and its a two person working from home household, zoom, teams, etc..2 kids ps5 gaming, loads of streaming on tv, phones etc.. no one noticed any difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@Wheelman2 he lives about 15-20 minutes away.

If it is 15-20 minutes by car, I suspect it's probably too far, so don't be surprised if you have problems.

@Wheelman2 As I downloaded the app and had a look at the reviews, a lot of people were complaining about speeds.

I've had it nearly 2 years now and it has been fairly consistently 200Mbps-250Mbps down for me. Sure there are occasional drops under 200Mbps, but I just don't notice them. There's only two of us in the house, so it's always fast.

I suspect the people that are complaining of poor speeds are in parts of the world where the service is oversubscribed, which I don't believe it is in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Do you mind me asking why you’d go with satellite internet when you have 1gb Virgin available?

Oh for no great reason. We have a backup power supply and during power cuts virgin would drop and we'd be offline. Starlink is always on. At least till those aliens arrive from independence day. We don't get a lot of power cuts maybe 4 or 5 a year. Last summer during storm betty we were out for 18 hours and it was nice to be able to watch TV and stream etc.. our mobile phones are useless in a power cut as the local mast must be on the same circuit. Siro should be here in next year so if I can get that powered from the backup power supply might switch to that.

What way does it unplug from the dish? Trying to figure it out, there's two buttons on pole of dish but neither seem to do anything.

Edit: as I write this, I've just figured it out. The buttons do in fact do something!

Installed starlink the other day for a friend and all went well. It was only done temporarily as they wanted it in for Christmas and need to get a bracket to mount it.

It's currently sitting on a flat roof of the house and is working well.

Very impressed with it myself so far. It was cutting out for a few minutes, and I was starting to worry but it said it can take 12 hours to stabilize.

They were previously with Eir and starlink is only a temporary measure until December 2024 when NBI are supposedly installing fibre in their area.

Attached are the speeds before with Eir and after with Starlink. I couldn't believe the speeds, as I seen people talking about 2-300 but I always had my doubts but I was proven wrong.

It's a shame it's quite on the expensive side for 65pm, when fiber can be got for 30pm. It's still a very good solution for people who are without fiber!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am based in sligo and have starlink for the last 6 months, i have the router in bridge mode and plugged into a set of tp link decos, I am getting 130 down usually and 15 up. My neighbour about 2km away has it also and gets similar speeds, wonder are we loosing out being in the North of the country ? To be honest it's sound at 130 d/l and never have any issues with it.

• Advertisement

Go to https://starlink.sx/ on a laptop (I don't think it works on smartphones) and set your location.

While it seems to show that most of the satellites currently cross the southern half of Ireland, I don't think you being a bit to the north of the flight path should make a huge difference speed wise, but I am curious as to how many "Sats" you are generally connected to (top right-hand corner)? Mine is currently showing me 14 most of the time.

Edit: Doh! Just realised I could drop the marker on Sligo and get the number myself. It seems to be 9-10 most of the time, which should be fine. When I first got Starlink, it tended to be less than 10 sats and there were occasional brief outages. I think with more sats you get more stability of speed.

How is your coverage? Does the app show you any obstructions on your Dishy? For you, the southern sky needs to be as clear a view as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ronanb78

I'm a newbie to starlink and have a few questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a good starlink installer in West Cork?
    2. How do you know what accessories you also need to order, to mount the dish on the roof? Or will an installer have all the necessary accessories/poles etc to mount the dish?
    3. Service is 65euros a month. What is the length of the contract or can you cancel the service at any time?
    4. Is the refurb option a good choice, since its half price?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

1. Myself or Openout depending on your location
    2. Installer supplies all. But if need to plug wifi mesh or cameras into router need ethernet adaptor from Starlink €40.
    3. No contract, can stop and restart later
    4. Yes, any issues they will replace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I self installed in West Cork back in August. Amazing service so far. If you are any way comfortable up a ladder, drilling holes etc, then self install aint that hard. Just a little bit of planning and it's easy enough to do. I would also think any local TV aerial/Satellite dish installer would be able to handle Starlink install without too much bother.

Defintely refurb option is good, that wasn't there when I ordered, especially now that NBI is getting closer (Clonakilty area is in build now, so Fibre might only be available in 12-18 months away)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Hi southern sky is completely clear, however the esb line does run close to the line of sight, I did move it up the garden to avoid the power cable but made no difference. I don't have it mounted on the roof yet as I just popped it onto an old picnic table and it's been there since. But getting full unobstructed view on the app .

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have a Gen 1 dish available for sale, please PM me if you want some details

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Detective Popcorn

Just ordered there - Refurb option is available if anyone was waiting on that to pull the trigger on it.

Just wondering as I can't seem to find an answer in the thread - What's the usual delivery time estimate?

Edit: Nevermind, found a previous discussion about it a few pages back! - I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information in the thread though lol, if anyone could point out some simple less known stuff for first time setup/pitfalls you wish you knew before installing/using SL please let me know! :)

If you want to use your own router etc make sure you order the ethernet adapter.

If/When drilling a hole to bring cable inside, then take the whole cable outside and pass through the part of cable that connects to the router. Don't do it the other way around. The cable end that goes into router is far smaller than end that goes into dishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/installing-a-starlink-internet-satellite-dish#size-of-hole-for-starlink-ethernet-cable

The other way around, the dish end of the cable is smaller and easier to pass through from inside to out, 20mm drill.

That's the way we did it, wire hanger taped to the dish end of the cable pulled out through the wall.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Is there an option to block devices from the router in the Starlink app?

I have a 4G Huawei router and I can block the kids devices at night in the app. It's really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I signed up to Eir, got the router in the post . Set up DD details and when I called them they had absolutely no record of me . Straight into the bank .

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Just see Starlink now €50/m and rental now €10/m. Not sure when this changed

Wow, that's fantastic. I assume this will apply to existing customers also?

[EDIT] Just checked my account and it now says my plan is €50 P/M.

Rental @ €10 P/M is also a very attractive price for anyone looking to plug the gap until NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

My next bill should be with me next week. Another €15 saving would be very welcome.

NBI should be with me sometime in the next 12-18 months and I'll take it when it comes, but at these prices I might consider also keeping SL as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Yip, says the same for me. Next bill will be €50! No big fanfare. At €50 its the same price as my local fixed wireless which I had for the previous 9 years. Very good value alternative to that now. Much better speeds and more reliable. Probably another 12 months or more before NBI comes here so a welcoming saving.

• Advertisement

My payment processed today at 65 euro but I guess next one be 50.. yep checked subscription details in app and it's at 50

Advertisement