Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Plenty of Irish people live abroad for long periods in countries which don't support background checks etc.

Should we keep them out too?

Why aren't you calling for "vetting" for returning Irish emigrants, couldn't they just as easily be serial killers, or rapists, up to god knows what on their travels?

That's been going on for years, why am I only hearing about this urgent need for "vetting" now?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Few thoughts that occurred to me about the Roscrea protests:

I've heard plenty of Govt and ministerial talking heads say that this is a crises and an emergency, but it is not like any of this came on us suddenly. At the outbreak of the war in Ukraine 23 months ago it was projected that we would have an influx of 100k persons and f-all has been done in concrete planning or preparation in the intervening months. Everything is reactionary and grasping at straws and feeling around in the dark for stopgap solutions and of course the property owners and failing hoteliers are chomping at the bit to get their chunk of largess and access to the golden goose without any of the headaches of having to train and retain hospitality staff. Invariably also, a lot of these hoteliers are those that accumulated failing businesses or properties on buying sprees in the past decade and have very little association or loyalty to local communities. Their bottom line is to make their properties pay by any means possible and housing refugees is unfortunately a much more attractive economic reality that tourism/hospitality for many of them.

Again Govt. spokespersons constantly tout the influence and influx of outside agitators presenting in person and on social media. But what about all the spin doctors and govt. ministers and reps from outside the area with open access to the main stream media given a vehicle to consistently talk about what they claim is good for these rural towns and make damning assessments of protests with damn all knowledge or appreciation of what it is like on the ground for the locals in terms of facilities or resources.

It seems the policy has moved to pushing at open doors in the context that the powers that be reason that town's like Roscrea that have already taken in loads of immigrants/refugees is most likely to accept more, so they feel these towns might somehow be an easier touch. So thereby it sends out a poor message to towns that the more you accept the more you are likely to have thrust upon you.

If we take an equation of the imposition or taking over of proportional facilities in small rural towns and the according denial of access to these facilities to the locals, if we take an equivilant imposed on the likes of south Dublin, can you imagine the uproar an representation to local politicians if it was decided to turnover The Aviva Stadium or the RDS or Doheney and Nesbitts or a few of Charlie Chalkes pubs to the accommodation of refugees. Of course that would never happen because it would be argued that they are totally unsuitable or that they are essential facilities for the locals, but a different logic is applied when taking such decisions with regard to rural towns.

Finally, regarding the claims about young adult males and screening. Regardless of whether these unfortunate men have undergone massive levels of screening and therefore pose absolutely no threat whatsoever to any local community, the reality is that there are lots of local communities, many of them very rural, now housing these young males who have nothing to do all day and damn all access to facilities or public transport, so their only option is to hang around the local area in groups. Accordingly a lot of these areas have become virtual no go areas for many locals, who feel hugely intimidated (rightly or wrongly) when confronted by these groups. There was huge outcry two years ago in the wake of the Aishling Murphy tragedy about the understandable fear that young women out walking or running feel when confronted by a single male, can you imagine how much this is multiplied when confronted by a group of foreign males with all the additional complications of language and cultural differences. Locals, especially females are intimidated, full stop.

Also with regard to the general asylum policy and procedures, there seems something awful wrong as reported last week that 70% of asylum seekers are arriving in Ireland without documentation, which begs the question how are they getting on flights or ferries without documentation (or if they are destroying their documentation en route, why?, and also how is so called "vetting" possible without verifiable identification?) when an Irish teenager is refused boarding on a Ryanair flight because he has tear in his passport? There seems to be absolutely no tracking or follow up on deportation orders, those refused asylum just melt into the background and remain. We were told that 8 of the unfortunates found on the container last week dissappeared afterwards and that social services have no responsiblility for them anymore. But surely since they are now asylum seekers the social services at least need to be able to keep track of them (apart entirely on the basis of the trauma they have gone thru in their ordeal) until a decision is made about whether or not they should be allowed remain in Ireland?

Post edited by pjordan on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is it - ordinary Irish citizens are being impacted and anyone taking a casual glance at the current situation, can see that the whole system is full of holes. The government are flying in the face of plain common sense.

They may build these purpose made reception centres but it will not a whit. As we have seen, there are no controls on asylum applicants once they arrive here, they can get their bearings, just walk out the door at any moment and disappear into the crowd. It's a s**tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

They are not claiming asylum though are they so your point is moot. And the bare minimum expectation is that a country has every right to decide who it allows in and who it doesn't, Ireland however wants to hug the world regardless of who comes in.

It's a change that can be done overnight if someone with a pair of balls actually gets in to government to do it. No ID with you? Back on the plane to wherever you came from, no ifs or buts. The same thing that would happen any Irish person who attempted the same stunt in a foreign country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Indeed, first thing you have to do when you move to Germany is register at the local town hall - and you need your passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’d imagine the footage you saw was extremely selective. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

"People I disagree with interviewed on the wireless"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If a returning Irish emigrant turned up at Dublin having no ID or passport I suspect it would raise a lot of red flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But it's the services that's the issue right?

Roscrea has too many people right?

• Advertisement

Newstalk's Barry Whyte analyses it so you can look it up if you care, it is online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't disagree with many of your points here. But it should be noted also that Ireland is one of the most progressive and liberal countries in western Europe....could probably be described as 'centrist' or even 'centre left' in ideology. Anyone who thinks Ireland is going to go the way of Sweden, Finland, Netherlands etc and start electing right wing populist and anti-immigration TDs in significant numbers is probably being very optimistic. It' s just not part of the political DNA here.

People are perhaps reading way too much into Irish opinion poll questions about immigration and deducing that one of the youngest, most well educated and left leaning countries in western Europe has suddenly gone all Trump like and right wing populist / conservative - it's a bit of a mirage.

So yours is a paperwork concern more so than being concerned with the actual risk a community might face?

They go hand in hand, you can't allow a complete unknown in and place them in a community and allow them free movement without knowing who they are and what their history is. It's idiotic in the extreme, and downright dangerous at worst. But that's Rod for you, he doesn't care who gets placed in your locality because obligations something something.

I'm picking up on exactly what was said. The poster said 70% of asylum seekers arrive without documents.

I asked for clarification and a link. Many times I stated that is was not true and lies. But posters insisted I was wrong. I then posted the actual truth. Not one single poster had the decency to apologise or admit their mistake.

The point is how easy it is to spread a lie, one person saying something is all it takes for 95% of posters to go along with it, even when challenged they still do not attempt to investigate themselves to find out facts.

It is most certainly the fault of the government, not least for the reckless mismanagement of services in this country.

Protestors blocking accommodation meant for people doesn't make sense, or burning people's private property, if they have issues with government.

I can see the concern with group of young men hanging around.

To be honest I don't think it would be a concern if these towns had gardai in police stations like they should have anyway.

So lets get out protesting about the lack of Gardai in rural Ireland 👍️

As for the stuff about other cultures and languages, that's where you're starting to sound a bit racist tbh. If people are afraid of 'foreign' men in light of what happened to Aisling Murphy to me that's something they need to figure out for themselves, otherwise where does that leave us? Only white, English speakers can visit Irish towns for fear they frighten someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

The underlying problem appears to be that the government is under the impression that the issues at hand are temporary, and they seem to believe that making a few undeliverable promises to the local population regarding services will resolve the problems. The reality is that Ireland will require migrants to fill crucial roles in our economy, such as doctors and nurses. However, there is a lack of consideration for where these future individuals providing essential services will reside. The overall policy displays a lack of foresight. The government should acknowledge the need for realism and honesty, recognising that it cannot accommodate more people until additional services and housing become available, a process likely to take at least five to seven years.

It seems that a significant portion of the government and media is unaware that some individuals genuinely feel that the political class is not heeding their concerns. Instead of addressing these legitimate questions from local communities, there is a tendency to demonise those posing them. This approach has led to certain elements of the far right aligning themselves with local protests. The demonisation of locals along with labeling them as far-right agitators creates a recipe for disaster.

I believe that the upcoming decade will catch many by surprise, including significant segments of the media, online commentators, and the existing political establishment.

We find ourselves more disconnected than ever, perhaps a consequence of the increasing impact of social media and the influence of American-style politics. The aftermath of people becoming overly confined within their bubbles due to the pandemic may also contribute to this disconnect. Ignoring the existence of issues is neither effective nor a solution. Ironically, the escalating immigration concern in Irish politics will divert attention from the root cause of local angst, namely the absence of essential services, a lack of housing prospects for residents and their children, and a failing health service.

They'd most likely have a passport. The point is they wouldn't be 'vetted'.

They could have been off living like Gary Glitter for decades and move back here to a house beside a primary school.

No-one would know the better and that's been the case for years. Yet we only see calls for 'vetting' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement

And that is what should be in place here. For everyone in the country.

We have no idea who is living in this country. A UK citizen can walk straight into this country and we have no idea. Any EU citizen can enter and never leave.

We don't know who they are or where they are.

The majority of asylum seekers have documents.

In 2023 3,285 people arrived without, we had 13,277 asylum seekers.

As part of any asylum application, they must produce some documents, even if they arrive without.

Do you trust those statistics and the idea that anyone in the immigration service is requesting documents of some sort, even from those with no ID? Let's not forget, just to point it out again, we had a container found with 14 people in it. 14 people who should have been sent straight back to the UK no questions asked.

They somehow managed to lose 8 of them, 8 illegal arrivals off in to the wind. How does that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

70% of those at Dublin airport come without ID. What have you to suggest 100% of those coming via other routes have ID? if anything, 70% of a significant sample size, could be seen as representative of the majority unless there's proof to state otherwise.

TBH, this stat needs to be 0% before I find it acceptable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KloppOn

Who knew that Ireland was more liberal and progressive than Sweden or the Netherlands or that opinion polls were so unreliable! People can view our current immigration policies as destructive and unsustainable and not be conservative on other matters. You told us a few weeks back that it would be impossible for Sinn Fein to harden their stance on immigration. So let's see if this prediction of yours stands the test of time a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,252 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"To be honest I don't think it would be a concern if these towns had gardai in police stations like they should have anyway.

So lets get out protesting about the lack of Gardai in rural Ireland 👍️"

Fine but where does this happen? At the gates of Leinster House, taking a day off and travelling up where there's a rotating set of polite protests that most of the time are ignored?

Or in front of the local cop shop where it may get a line in the local paper, but beyond that zero attention?

They're losing a hotel in Roscrea so the hotel was the obvious focal point. I don't like the way these protests sometimes morph into something else unsavoury when attended by outsiders but what are people supposed to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Ok, lets for a minute leave out the foreign part and just leave it at "groups of young males", they are intimidating for young women (and many others) trying to walk or exercise. In recent years since the Me too movement there has been growing indignation and a refusal to accept the leering or wolf whistles or worse that such a hormonally packed group of young males are sometime likely to produce.

Then lets be blatantly racist if that how you want to provocatively term it, and take that these bunch of young men are from Sub Saharan Africa or the Middle East being newly arrived in a foreign country with very little knowledge of the cultural norms and a very different inherited and accepted discrimatory attitude to women and add that to what you are already likely to expect from a slavering bunch of young local white lads and explain to me why a young woman out walking would not feel intimidated. If that makes me racist I'll accept that but it's an undeniable fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement