Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall Insulation Options on self-build 2024

Options
  • 16-01-2024 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Folks,

I know the topic of insulation has been done to death over the years so I apologise in advance.

About to start a new self-build in the West of Ireland. Going with standard block build. Engineer has started construction drawings and has asked us what type of cavity insulation we'd like to use. Going out to tender for a contractor as I've no knowledge,skill or mates in construction! :(

He's given us a few options to start thinking about for a 150 mm cavity.

1. 110 mm partial fill board to meet minimum building regulations.

Couple of people I've spoken to have gone with this option. Their reasoning is that leaving 40 mm air gap protects against wind driven rain. However you are placing a high level of faith in block layer that they're laying board tight to inner leaf. Otherwise it's a waste of time due to thermal looping effect.

2. Full fill 150mm board (cavity therm seems to be one of the most commonly discussed here on boards. .ie)

No real air gap but from what I understand the design of the board seems to help run water ingress from wind driven rain back out towards the outer leaf . The jointing also appears to ensure a better seal between boards in the wall. However the engineer told us that many block layers absolutely hate this system.

3. 150 mm pumped bead and add insulated plasterboard to inside of wall. However I've had the suggestion from a few company reps I've spoken to to widen the cavity to 200mm and pumping with bead. This removes need for adding insulated plasterboard to inner wall.

My main concern with the bead method is weather here in the west of Ireland with the wind and rain being so bad. I know companies talk of the beads water resistance and shape guiding water down towards the ground as opposed to bridging into inner leaf. The NSAI standards for these insulation types strongly suggest getting a topographical survey of the site area to determine wind and rain exposure if considering this option so it doesn't give me much confidence on what the reps are saying.

On the other hand bead seems to be the least headache in getting the job done. But it's for the wrong reasons in that I may lack trust that the boards are being placed right. No offence meant to the trade out there but just with the cost of build nowadays I'm stressed to get the bones of the house right from the get go.

I guess what I'm trying to gauge here is

Q1. For those of you who have built in the west of the country classified as having severe weather exposure, what method did you go for and why?

Q2. Any method above that you would avoid like the plague? Any negative experiences.

Q3. Did you get help with reaching the decision ( did you have an independent expert help assessing your site situation, topographical survey etc).

Q4. If ye did a board install did you monitor the installation of insulation yourself or rely on contractor? (As mentioned I've no knowledge of construction at all but trying to learn as much as I can.)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Biker1

What does your BER assessor recommend?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Option 3 is the worst.

Option 1 and 2 are more common.

Option 1 would have to be the kingspan kooltherm phenolic board (and I'd up that spec to 120mm to be comparable with the 150mm full fill board.

You have another option. 200mm pumped bead

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

I read a lot on these boards about damp penetrating and tracking through the outer skin of a cavity wall. I agree that this is the case with a

porous brick finish but with a block finish, isn't it down to the render & paint / cladding etc. on the block to repel the damp?

where is that question coming from in relation to this thread?

There are plenty of areas where damp can penetrate. Every single junction is a weak point.

Plus you haven't allowed for interstitial condensation which will occur within the cavity, usually on the inner face of the outer block leaf.

That also needs to be accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bfclancy2

because the OP is talking about wind driven rain hitting the walls, and yes render will repel that

• Advertisement

But the post I replied to make no reference to the question in the OP. IE the performance of bead insulation

anyway, anyone with a gable facing north west along the coast knows how good, or not, paint and render is for repealing Atlantic weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

On the interstitial condensation - what measures can one take in a new build to mitigate it, apart from moving the dew point outside with ewi?

you ensure all your DPC, trays, weep holes etc are installed correctly.

its not something you can remove when choosing cavity insulation, so you have to plan for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

Ah ok, thanks. Would 130mm board in a 150mm cavity leave enough space in the cavity or is space even required - what would you go for yourself, 130mm or full fill board?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If it were me, I'd go for option 1 - tried & tested. When I built here, it was a 100mm cavity with 60mm insulation batts and 40mm gap. Works fine.

Attention to detail is important though. The batts/ slabs should all fit in snugly against the inner leaf, held in by plastic clip on the wall ties. There should be no gaps left - the stuff I used was tongue and grooved board, which when fitted together give a good fit. When cutting odd bits though, it only takes a minute to cut a wee groove with the trowel to get a good fit. If you're doing the work yourself, you'd do this but I wouldn't be convinced many block layers would be too bothered with this. I had a look at various houses under construction when I was doing my own bit, just to see how detail was handled. Saw everything from excellent neat work to downright shoddy practice, with notable few wall ties and insulation flapping about with gaps etc.

Having observed the walls afterwards before rendering, could see the rain soaking through the outer leaf on exposed side. The render and paint helps greatly but bound to be some moisture dripping down.

Another poster here recently was of opinion that with insulation you're chasing your tail to some extent, any insulation improves but that diminishing returns sets in. They were saying that 'air tightness' is as important and of course ventilation. So not just insulating but reducing the warm air that you pay to heat from escaping too readily.

• Advertisement

the kooltherm K106 board product allows a residual cavity of down to 10mm (but this is considered a "full fill" product)

the other kooltherm products require a 40mm cavity.

in my experience most of engineers dont have an issue with extending the cavity to 160mm in order to install a 120mm kooltherm board product with 40mm cavity, especially in a single storey house.

i have heard different claims from builders about post installation issues with the 150mm full fill xtratherm (unilin) board [swelling below dpc level being an issue]

so my standard specification at the moment is 120mm of the K8 board in a 160mm cavity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Q1. For those of you who have built in the west of the country classified as having severe weather exposure, what method did you go for and why?

200mm pumped cavity - Why, I can nail stuff to my walls whereever I want and am certain that the walls are full of the product as designed and should work as expected . It was also cost effective for my project. 0.18 Conductivity.

Q2. Any method above that you would avoid like the plague? Any negative experiences.

No - no experience of the others.

Q3. Did you get help with reaching the decision ( did you have an independent expert help assessing your site situation, topographical survey etc).

BER man advised it was sufficient, engineer very happy with system.

Q4. If ye did a board install did you monitor the installation of insulation yourself or rely on contractor? (As mentioned I've no knowledge of construction at all but trying to learn as much as I can.)

With the pump you will see where they drilled into the walls, you can push a pen or stick in and feel the insulation inside to confirm for yourself that it is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In a cavity wall system, the system is designed around a wet outer leaf so it is not correct to say render will keep moisture out.

I'm not a fan of pumped bead or full fill boards given the extreme weather in West of Ireland.

Partial fill board with 40mm clear cavity is my preferred spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One problem with the wider cavity, is that the footings have to increase in width as well - more concrete, more cost and more carbon etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why isn't icf more popular here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Tefral

I am a Quantity Surveyor and a Self Builder.

If I was redoing my house again in the morning, it would be ICF no question. Make all rooms divisiable by 600mm and away you go.

Few of my friends have gone the ICF route since. Some job.

To answer the OPs question. Option 1 would be the only way to go. I live on the West and the horizontal rain we get is mad.

Whatever you do, dont do option 3... just dont.

That's my thinking, ireland seems ripe for this solution

Icf is simply non fit for purpose in the wilds of the west of ireland.

I see some improvements being made to detailing but overall innterms of weathering, it's a no from me.

Local to me, one Engineer has moved totally to ICF and basically is using one builder for them all.

They are having multiple leaks. The system is crap and if leaking when new, will only get worse.

We see hollowblock houses being successful in cities but try building one in Blacksod or somewhere like that.

From the detailing I've seen within Icf, it is hopeless.

This all sounds like poor construction detailing. Quality of install coupled with finishing materials would solve for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah like others have said when it’s done right it’s A1, the detailing around ops is what I got stuck on and ruled it out for myself from then.

Secondarily you needed someone familiar with ICF construction when it came to every trade so local recommendations were not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I think anything less than a 200mm pumped cavity is a compromise in a new build nowadays imo. 150mm cavities should be a thing of the past really I’m surprised they are still being designed into new builds. Also using board insulation will leave gaps, it’s near impossible to get right.

insulated slabs are a hindrance as they prevent using the thermal mass of the wall. Shows poor understanding by the engineer.

We aren't in the west but did a 250mm cavity, we had 200mm in our mind but the architect more or less insisted on 250mm.

You may say that but I don't agree with it as a system for severe weather locations.

It's absolutely dependent on the external render. A failure of the render via any form of crack and water is entering and then it's anyone's guess where it appears.

The detailing around windows surely can be done well but is it being done well on most sites.

I don't know your experience with driving rain on West Coast but it will test most systems.

I've seen window systems fail here in storm where it took prolonged use of high pressure washer to reproduce leak with everyone blaming dpc when in fact it was within the window.

I'm made a conscious decision to not get involved with ICF builds for the foreseeable. Ive also moved to specifying 13N concrete blocks throughout.

Reading forums from uk a few years back pretty much confirmed my thinking with people having leaks at random locations internally due to water gaining entry at crack or penetration and travelling along poured concrete outer surface and entering at a weak point.

I'm also aware of an early adopter commercial development that had to introduce a block outer leaf due to weathering issues but detailing has moved on since then I'd agree.

Why render it. Who suggested rendering. There are various other more suitable options. Render is crap on block houses as it is. Destined to crack.

When i say render, im referring to all applicable wet finishes. What is your proposed finish for use all over the country taking into account traditional appearance of a rural dwelling?

There's a multitude of finishes available even more so on the continent.

There's nothing traditional about cement render no idea where this notion stems from.

I said I'm referring to all types of wet finishes.

A rendered finish is traditional to the west of ireland.

What would you intend to finish with if building 100s of rural houses?

Stone is traditional to the west of Ireland but sure look let's stick with what's there.

Typical mentality though no wonder our building methods are nothing like what you'd get in Germany for example.

Stone finish is traditional to parts of the country where suitable stone was available.

Where I'm from, the houses are a loose rubble stone construction with render finish from day one.

You are not offering any great ideas. For.someone pushing the system as the future, I'd have thought you.might have more Insight.

I'm an insured professional. A claim would be seriously damaging to my business.

Systems that are unproven for the weather conditions are not even a consideration for me as no doubt when the sh1t hits the fan, the only insured person will come down with the lot.

Traditional would be a lime render. Are you lime rending all the new builds out west ? Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Nap plaster finish is generally specified as one of the planning conditions. It was for mine anyway, not in the west but doubt it’s much different.

Advertisement