Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't think that would placate public sector workers. Cost of living isn't reducing (that would be deflation), the rate of increase is slowing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Gusser09

My esb bill costs are starting to sharply come down. To me thats a decrease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Groceries are still shooting up. Electricity costs remain much higher than they were even 12 months ago - note the utilities are being somewhat disingenuous in their price reduction announcements - while the standard rates have dropped x%, the discounts available off that rate remain far lower than before (i.e. 2 years ago most were advertising 30+% discounts off standard rates; ~15% is as good as it gets now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

And? That doesn't tell the half the story. According to data, primary and secondary school staff have gone from 41,033 and 33,074 to 56,990 and 39,143 respectively. Pretty substantial increases of 38% and 18%, given the population rose approximately 16% in that period.

If you were to read that you wouldn't think that there was an issue in education, however there is, a rather large one.

The junior cert results weren't released until the 18th of October 2023 because, in the State Examinations Commission own words, there was a "very significant examiner shortage". And this is despite pay being increased for examiners earlier in March 2023.

According to a survey of 1094 primary and special schools in October 2023 there was a shortfall of 809 posts, 72% of the schools that responded had been unable to fill all their vacancies, 1,202 additional long-term vacancies were anticipated in the following three months.

Also, the recent staffing numbers are inflated because there are more teachers than ever before on career leave. In early 2023, Department of Education figures showed that teachers on career leave had more than doubled over the last 10 years, with 1,535 teachers on a break in 2012/13 compared to 3,153 in 2022/23. There are also far more substitute teachers being used than ever before, with schools/department being forced to hire non qualified teachers too.

I could do this for nearly every sector:

Garda numbers have fallen since by 1,476 since 2008, a reduction garda numbers by 9.5%. This is offset somewhat by an increase in Garda civil service staff of 1,279. But there has been a net decrease in staff despite a rise in population. It's no wonder they're increasing the recruitment age to 50.

Do I need to say much about the Defence Forces? Numbers have dropped by 2,960 or 26% since 2008. They can only use two of their eight vessels due to manpower shortages.

Revenue staff numbers have fallen since 2008 levels, there's been a huge amount of retirements that aren't being replaced. Once again, this is despite Revenue's case base increasing massively with record receipts across all tax heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'm citing "old" releases because you made a reference to boom time figures in the public service and the boom ended in 2007.

Figures from the DPER state the following:

325,177 worked in the civil service, defence sector, eduction sector, health sector, justice sector, local authorities & NCSA in 2008.

377,310 worked in the same sectors in 2022.

An increase of 16%. . . . Still considerably less than the overall population increase during the same period of 21%.

https://databank.per.gov.ie/Public_Service_Numbers.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You do realise that there are many many strands of the public sector that raise their own revenue rather than relying on the Exchequer?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

They are still higher than they were. FFS some comments around inflation can't be serious

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

It's almost, and stick with me here, the PS was understaffed then and is understaffed now

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If the increase had been 8.5% from 1st January 2024, I might have accepted it. I would have at least considered it.

But the fact that it will take 2.5 years from now to reach that level of an increase, and still in affect leaves us running two years behind inflation, I am not willing to accept that.

I have seen one price decrease by my ESB/GAS provider so far, from November 1st 2023, so I haven't seen any massively reduced bills yet. Due soon, so we'll see. Even so, they are still much higher than 2 years ago.

I have seen no reduction in the price of my shopping trolley, in fact, it's still continuing to increase. For my family my grocery bills have increased by at least 40%-50% in the last two years.

No mortgage interest rate cuts yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Serious lack of understanding of inflation amongst some people on here, embarrassing. Reduced levels of inflation still means the price of things are increasing, just at a slower rate. And since the last pay increases didn't come close to the rate of inflation, it means we're behind where we should be in order to keep pace with that inflation. Some people just never bother actually thinking about these things it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

My brother works in retail management. He got a 3% increase backdated to the 01/01/24 and 2% bonus. Same agreed for 2025. 1.75% of an increase for 2024 ain't cutting it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Inflation up to 4.6% in December from 3.9% in November. That's a sizeable jump. The Government's failure to close a deal quickly could end up backfiring yet. Inflation is expected to rise as a result of the chaos unfolding in the Red Sea and wider Middle East. The 'inflation is falling' line will not hold up.

Inflation rate moves up to 4.6% in December - CSO (rte.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Don't shoot the messenger here, happy to provide background workings to this and stand corrected if any of my figures are incorrect:

I have went back over the past three paydeals & tried to work out an effective increase per year (taking into account the number of months each increase was offered etc. And above are the results as well as the CPI Inflation figures.

It basically really shows the importance of when in a year that an increase is given. If it is given in October, it has very little impact on the pay increase in that year. This one been offered is very weighted towards the end of the deal.

First Agreement:

1. 3% Increase from 2nd February 2022
    2. 2% Increase from 1st March 2023
    3. 1.5% or €750 (whichever is greater) from 1st October 2023

Second Agreement:

1. 1st October 2021: 1% of gross pay or €500 a year, whichever is greater. (Same as above)
    2. 1st February 2022: The equivalent of a 1% increase in annualised basic salaries.
    3. 1st October 2022: Another 1% of gross pay or €500 a year, whichever is greater.

Projected Offer:

1. 1.5% from 1/3/24
    2. 2.0% from 1/10/24
    3. 1.0% from 1/3/25
    4. 0.5% from 1/6/25 (Bargaining Clause)
    5. 1.5% from 1/8/25
    6. 1.5% from 1/2/26
    7. 0.5% from 1/6/26 (Bargaining Clause)

If we break all of these down to years:

• 1/10/2021: 1%

• 1/2/22: 3% increase (First Agreement) and 1% increase (Second Agreement).
    • 1/10/22: 1% increase (Common in both agreements).

2023 (First Agreement)

• 1/3/23: 2%
    • 1/10/23:1.5%

• 1.5% increase from 1/3/24 (10 months in 2024)
    • 2.0% increase from 1/10/24 (3 months in 2024

• 2.0% increase continuing from 1/10/24 (up to 1/3/25, so 2 months in 2025)
    • 1.0% increase from 1/3/25 (8 months in 2025)
    • 1.5% increase from 1/8/25 (5 months in 2025)
    • Local bargaining clause: 0.5% from 1/6/25 (7 months in 2025)

• 1.5% increase continuing from 1/8/25 (up to 1/2/26, so 1 month in 2026)
    • 1.5% increase from 1/2/26 (11 months in 2026)
    • Local bargaining clause: 0.5% from 1/6/26 (7 months in 2026)
    • Additional 2% increase in subsequent agreements (we'll assume this starts from 1/1/26 for the full year)

The percentage increases considering time apportionment are:

• 2021: 0.25%
    • 2022: 3.93%
    • 2023: 2.05%
    • 2024: 1.76%
    • 2025: 1.93%
    • 2026: 3.83%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

So you happy to take a pay decrease as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

All this talk of so-called pay rises yet no one ever mentions that the Pension Related Deduction (introduced by Brian Lenihan in 2010 and called a "direct pay cut" by Lenihan at the time) still remains intact to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funnily enough, older readers will remember when ISME was the SFA - Small Firms Association.

I'm not sure it's in the interests of ISME members, employees of ISME members or customers of ISME members to be constantly struggling with crap public services. Money that would otherwise be discretionary spending available to be spent with ISME businesses will instead be grabbed for use on education, healthcare, childcare and other essentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

A far cry from the increments + pay increases state employees will be getting. Also not matching the rate of inflation.

I assume you'll be referring to the pay increases in 2025 accordingly, by carrying over the 1.75% you're excluding for 2024 and adding to the scheduled increases already proposed for 2025? What is the annualised increase for 2025 then? Much better than the proposed rates suggest .

A bit rich coming from someone too miserly to be spending on lunches in ISME outlets to be worried about the well being of those outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Increments are not a substitute for inflation matching increases.

What about those who are just starting at a grade? Are they just expected to suffer?

And those progressing along the increments are just accepting the same real pay year to year because of inflation? What a fool.

• Advertisement

So based on the comparison made to retail management who are not on an increment scale, the offer to state employees is extremely generous indeed.

The retail manager does not get a guaranteed increment, gets an increase less than the Government offer and gets an increase not matching inflation either.

He is actually on an increment scale. I previously worked with this retailer. It takes 4 to 5 years to get to the top point of salary in his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

You never accept the point about increments. People take the job based off these increments. Without the increments there would be nobody hired. Literally you would have zero Gardai and zero nurses , doctors. Absolutely everyone. The increment scheme saves the government billions.

Post edited by lbunnae on

And the spin marchents on here take any growth in private pay, where very often increments are not a thing, and want to apply the same growth to public pay on top of increments.

As I stated above. I've worked in this retailer, and it takes 4 or 5 years to get to the top of salary for his position. He is on an increment scale. I also stated that the pay increase this company has agreed is

3% pay increase with 2% cash bonus for 2024 and same for 2025. Fair play, I say he deserves it.

The pay agreement offered to public sector workers falls far below this. I just think, in my opinion, more of a percentage should be frontloaded to today. You obviously disagree. We point have opinions on the matter.

The offer from the Government should be more front loaded but this "terrible" offer is still better than the comparison you are making when the duration of the deal ends.

So you drop an increment turd, get told that the retail manager IS ON an increment, ignore that, and blather on about increments being a PS bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe if they offered something a bit healthier than a chicken fillet white roll, I might be more inclined to buy lunch more often.

More importantly perhaps, the entire economy for ISME members does not depend on my personal lunch choices, so there's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,464 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's 388k at the end of Q2.

The important point was to ensure your incorrect single digit growth figure was challenged.

No need to "so what it" once corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,464 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There was a very narrow discussion centered on establishing the correct growth in PS numbers.

Any economy with full employment will have sectoral staff retention and recruitment issues. You also have to recognize that no organization will admit to being fully or overstaffed.

R&R issues are not solely caused by pay. Stating that almost 400k people need a higher pay offer because of a couple of sector specific claims is crazy.

Salaried teachers not wanting to correct State exams points to a wider issue imo but will leave that here to avoid upsetting any teachers.

Advertisement