Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ultimate bake and shake, second time round: Doomed US lunar lander now heading for Earth

• 15-01-2024 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭

Our latest assessment now shows the spacecraft is on a path towards Earth, where it will likely burn up in the Earth's atmosphere,"

In addition to science hardware, the spaceship is carrying cargo for private clients of Astrobotic, including a sports drink can, a physical Bitcoin, as well as human and animal ashes and DNA.

The ashes were supposed to be put into orbit around the sun

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"The ashes were supposed to be put into orbit around the sun"? The article doesn't say that and rightly so, I think. I'd like to see more about exactly what they mean by that.

The Earth is already in orbit around the Sun, but the Earth's gravity affects everything in a massive volume of space around it. The moon is about 400,000 km away, but orbits the Earth, and so could also be said to orbit the Sun too. In short, for anything to establish its own stable, independent orbit around the Sun, it will first have to get well clear of the Earth: millions of km at least, which will be expensive in fuel terms.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The ashes of an expert on space who was born near Newtown, Nenagh, are aboard last Monday’s historic rocket launch in the US, and now set to orbit the sun for eternity.

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement