Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Tinfoil hats are not sources, so I'll take it as no legitimate threats as of yet. Anyone can find anything on Twitter if they're dim enough to believe it.

That's enough pestering from you now on with our days

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No pestering. You were proved wrong. Its not hearsay.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Village Hotel in Bettystown up next. Cancelling weddings and parties as it’s becoming a centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No it wasn't answered. Very simple question. You made the claim so stand by it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

One thing I would really like someone who thinks that

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

the more glaring thing about what happened in Roscrea was that it was specifically set up, probably over the weekend (a plan put together) to bring in a few women and children. This NEVER happens, its ALWAYS bus loads of men. Its always during the night. This was done specifically to shame the people of Roscrea and wrong foot them. And while some might say it worked that is only superficially. Each time this kind of thing happens and local needs are not addressed there is a rapidly growing undercurrent of anger and frustration built out of helplessness.

These are local people, who are now facing increasingly stretched services, no hotel for any family events, non existent GP services, a loss of jobs. Nenagh hospital has been closed which would have been the local for Roscrea so that means even more pressure on University Hospital Limerick by bringing in more and more migrants . This is the hospital where Aoife Johnston died last year, after 12 hours on a trolley!! NOTHING is thought through by this Government!

Is this the price Irish people have to pay? Just because the Government have no plan, no end in sight, for some reason the more people protest the more they push through their actions. Its almost like they're in denial. People have common sense, brains, intellect. The dogs on the street can see this is going to end in disaster so believe it or not that is why there is rising opposition to all of this, no matter where people are coming from, no matter if they are women and children! It is not working.

What on earth are the Government doing, calling ordinary people racist, violent, aggressive, sending in riot police which only made things worse! What kind of a country are we now living in?

Roderic O Gorman, Leo Varadkar, Micheal Martin, Helen McEntee, Simon Harris, Newstalk presenters, RTE Presenters all go home at night to their leafy Dublin 4, Dublin 6 houses or sprawling Meath and Wicklow houses, surrounded by gardens and trees. They live a life of privilege. They have a myriad of cafes, restaurants, hotels, wine bars to go to to meet their friends for parties. Yet the ONLY HOTEL in Roscrea is closed, leaving that community with nothing and Sinead Ryan on Newstalk sat on the show last night and called everyone in Roscrea racist thugs. How dare she as she sits in her ivory tower looking down her nose at everyone who doesn't live in her world. Do these people ever step outside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

Can anyone provide an answer as to where the women and families are accommodated? It seems they aren't, because allegedly, it's only ever single men who are provided with accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Sorry won't thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

If anyone want's to glimpse what the future will look like for a lot of towns housing large numbers of migrants, take a drive to Ballaghaderreen or Ballyhaunis. Both towns had/have meat processing plants and as such had large Asian populations before the current influx. Ballyhaunis recorded a 46% odd non Irish population in the last census (ask any local, it's much higher) and Ballaghaderreen isn't much different. Both towns are the largest in East Mayo and both are senior GAA clubs. Ballyhaunis amalgamated 3 years ago and Ballaghaderreen are amalgamating next year. There's zero integration bar a token player here and there (Shiroz Akram bring one). Local people are not moving home or moving to the towns, parents are bringing their kids to country schools because the town schools are rammed full and under resourced. People are nervous about walking after dark due to large groups of males standing around street corners. The Irish Times and certain posters here will tell you that everything is great and the towns are thriving, but it's simply not true. You cannot change the demographics of small rural communities by 50% in a few years with people from a completely different cultural background. The fact that simply stating those facts is enough to get you labelled far right is part of the reason people have had enough of this insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Perhaps because of the VAT for hospitality returning to pre pandemic rate we will see more hotels closing to guests and being made centres of?

Not great at all for tourism or simply finding a room or a venue for anything.

No sorry, haven't time to be a class room assistant for you, if you don't understand it from my post you probably don't understand anything about what happened in Roscrea.

So let me get this straight...You can throw out these statements but refuse to answer very simple questions on those statements. Very interesting method of debate.

Please do continue believing that the state told those children to cry when they got off the bus...bloody naive.

Who do you blame there? Who else would have kept those meat plants operational for decades? You can't have it both ways. Apart from the GAA membership, what other problems are there?

As I said I haven't time for teaching assistant.

Room 101, understanding how governments divide and conquer.

Maybe you should go back over my post and really let it sink in.

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭GBXI

This is absolute rubbish - pretty sure they call it dog whistling. These are two of the most rural towns in Ireland that in 100+ years have never thrived and are known historically for their mass immigration (outwards) and little else. Because of the businesses there, as you say, there is a high percentage of non-Irish nationals living in the towns. There aren't enough locals to do, or willing to do, the work. There are also lots of Irish living there and I know of 5 young Irish people who have returned to both towns in recent years to settle with their families. The only thing these two towns have in common is their meat factories. If it wasn't for them, the towns would be even more deprived. Both towns are better now than they were 30 years ago.

This whole current topic is a symptom of Ireland's rapid turnaround after the financial crash of 2008. We cannot build enough houses fast enough to cater for the demand, and services like schools and GPs are experiencing similar challenges. The answer is, of course, not curtailing demand but meeting it. As the poster above mentioned, any protest should be at the door of the government department responsible for housing. All pressure should be applied to build as many houses and apartments, for all age cohorts, in all the major cities as humanly possible.

Here is your post in bold.

"Crying women and children =staged."

I am trying to assess if the crying bit was staged. Simple Yes or No.

You're floundering by the way 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wonder does the data show forgotten areas are getting most refugees

Was always a busy venue. Don’t think it’s VAT, more greed than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Have you never heard of 'crisis actors'? A strategy of governments worlwide in these situations, verified by the most impeccable sources

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

I don't blame anyone, I'm just stating facts. The reason for the large Asian immigration was to satisfy Halal requirements and to drive down wages in the meat factories. I know plenty of lads who earned a decent wage in them in the 80's but the owners kept bringing in cheaper labour. This snobbery that Irish won't do dirty work is a myth, the Irish got priced out by cheap labour in most cases. The Asian community in Ballaghaderreen was never an issue, mostly hard working families, but they don't integrate. The simple fact is both towns are suffering serious decline in native populations and it's having a major effect on the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They didn't need actors but this was pretty obvious that this whole situation was staged,I reckon these people were brought from somewhere like Citywest in front of the very large Garda presence and cameras for nothing more than trying to shame the people of Roscrea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Yesterday we were told they weren't actors. Ye need to make up your mind.

Great to hear those children were faking the tears and weren't in any way upset.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Afforementioned interview with the Minister for Arrogant Self Rightousness on Newstalk at the weekend.

I nearly crashed the car when I heard his response to Anton Savage asking about how we have got to the situation where we are having prospective asylum centres being burned down and 80% of the population believing the country is full and he goes off waffling about how when he hears about migration in Dublin West while canvassing and he takes the opportunity to correct disinformation while doing so.

This fucker is so far out of his depth it is breathtaking. A situation entirely of his creation and it's someone else's responsibility.

He might be right. But then again I’ve seen on X that Jesus is coming back soon, so maybe he’ll be able to sort everything out. Well him or the 8-10 foot tall aliens that landed in Miami on New Years Day (also big on X).

Don't waste your time. You know when someone doesn't want to understand its because they have no argument to what took place. Anyone who thinks that the people placed yesterday weren't hand picked are only fooling themselves.

• Advertisement

Well the bus loads of young men who were stopped from being located near me were seen and photographed giving the finger to the protesters out of the bus window.

Wouldn't look as good on the news would it.

Don't need to be actors, just the right face for the camera.

Advertisement